Home – New Forums Other discussions Questioning My Business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Openhearted
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    ::

Hi
    My name is Emelisa
    I have had my business for 6 years
    It has gone through many changes, including website face lifts, the way i run workshops and now my focus on products.

I have just changed my website again and I have created it so it is simpler
    Easy to navigate
    I am in the process of changing some information on my workshops
    I am “not” a therapist and I want to get that message across in a clear way

I also started doing the markets, re selling my products, that is going to well at the moment.

I have attended a body mind and spirit festival and sold half my stock on that weekend which was brilliant. So I know what I do people like

I am just feeling a little well unsure now
    Not very confidant and I seem to outlay more money and energy and get little in return

I tried google ads, doing it myself and having 2 other companies do it, both of them turned out to be hopeless, not to mention the last one took money out of my credit card without permission
    ( I did get it returned after a few pushes)

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this
    Im just feeling a little lost as to what my next direction is
    Do I continue
    or do I stop

Is it that I am just going about it the wrong way
    Is it the financial times right now and people just arent spending

I believe in the power of thought
    and right now my thoughts are confused and filled with frustration

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Em

[Former] FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Em,

You have buckets of talent, and deserve all the good things in life. Hope they turn up soon.

Have sent you a private message too.
    Best,
    Jayne

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up
    Openhearted, post: 13137 wrote:
    Hi
    Em

Hey most people that have been in business for a little while often go through periods of confusion and self doubt, especcially when cash flow is not what it should be.

You believe in the power of thought so it may mean that your thoughts should be possitive.Block ALL negative thought from you mind and put your energy into possitive thoughts and your will not only feel better but so will your business. Your possitive thought will create possitive action which in turn will create possite cash flow.

Thats what I think.

What do others think?

Eco Manifesto
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

Hi Em,

Once self doubt creeps in, it can take hold! It can get very confusing and I totally understand how you feel about questioning everything – and there are so many different marketing/advertising options out there, its almost impossible to know what works and what will not – and the catch 22 is, usually, as a small business we don’t have the funds to try!

Is there someone (like a mentor or just a friend!) you can talk to? Just talking about all the things that are causing you difficulty can be a start (so they’re not all floating round in your mind making you more confused and frustrated!).

Maybe focus on one aspect that you’re not happy with at a time – try to sort each one at a time. As you complete each one I’m sure your positivity, confidence and being able to see whether you want or should continue will become more clear (well, hopefully!)

Again, if you have someone you can talk to – things may become more clearer or maybe you just need to do something absolutely fun/for you for an afternoon/day – away from any business thoughts and just get some “feeling good” mojo happening! ;-)

In any case, I wish you all the very best and hope you are able to find some kind of direction that will be beneficial for you!

Openhearted
    Up

Thank you

I have a great balance in life
    I work a normal job do my business and always make sure I have enough time off for me

I did have a talk with a lovely soul here
    and later realised there are so many things in my life right now that are in a state of flux and questioning
    How can my business go ahead when I am not even sure what it is I want
    I dont have any people I know here that can mentor me and yes there are so many different types of marketing it is a challenge to know which way to go.

I get a person here or there asking for a workshop but of course I dont have the numbers by the time I get a few people together alot of time has passed and people are no longer interested

I have a wee headache so I am going to have an early night
    Thank you
    Emelisa

mike@engagemarketing
    • Total posts: 300
    Up

Hi Em,
    I hope the headache’s gone away! Feel free to shoot me an email and tell me a bit about your business and i’ll be happy to help out with some marketing tactics that you can try (you can even have a bit of fun doing them, i promise!).

Cheers,
    Mike

Renee Barber
    • Total posts: 360
    Up

Hi Emelisa (Em, smile)

It sounds to me that your energy is being dissipated by all of the things that are ‘in flux’. When we’re tired (emotionally, spiritually and/or physically), nothing seems to turn out right. So, I reckon getting your houses (mostly metaphorically) in order will help you be able to focus on the things that are important to you. Once you’ve done that, I reckon your business will start flowering.

One concrete marketing suggestion I have is that party plans might be the way to go if you have physical products. Another option is a simple referral rewards system as the more people you have looking for leads to you, the more sales are generally generated.

Whatever happens, look after yourself (body, mind and soul) first as if we’re not well, it’s very difficult for the other areas in our life to be well.

Openhearted
    Up

Thank you all
    smile

I feel quite balanced in my life
    and I am a person who certainly creates time for fun, massages and wind down I couldnt imagine doing it any other way

I started doing my workshops initially from a place of such a passion for growth it mirrored my life at the time. I was always working on me to be better and realised I am perfect just as I am. of course this realization had a huge affect in areas of my life that I was not able to do the type of workshops that I was doing
    My passion is the moment, its fun, connecting with people and how creativity is such a wonderful way to bring you to all those places
    So that is where my workshops are heading, I have to re write my workshop info but havent been in a clear enough space yet to do that, its all slowly coming together

The products is something that has come together in the last year ( not the paintings) so I am in a process of finding what feels right there

Some of my questions that I ponder are
    1 Is my website working?
    2 My target market I know it is people who attend body mind and spirit festivals but I also want to have my work and workshops in the general public as well
    3. What other forms of advertising can I do and where?
    4. If I want some of my website re written where would I look?

There just some of the questions that come to mind at the moment

Im staying open
    allowing a space for the new
    My coming here and meeting people was for me to gain some clarity
    and see what my next step may be

Thanks Lovely souls
    Em :-)

ColourMePurple
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Hi Em

Think we need to do coffee! Spoke to Jayne at Flying Solo Live today. When are you next in Brissie?

Gill

Openhearted, post: 13137 wrote:
    Hi
    My name is Emelisa
    I have had my business for 6 years
    It has gone through many changes, including website face lifts, the way i run workshops and now my focus on products.

I have just changed my website again and I have created it so it is simpler
    Easy to navigate
    I am in the process of changing some information on my workshops
    I am “not” a therapist and I want to get that message across in a clear way

I also started doing the markets, re selling my products, that is going to well at the moment.

I have attended a body mind and spirit festival and sold half my stock on that weekend which was brilliant. So I know what I do people like

I am just feeling a little well unsure now
    Not very confidant and I seem to outlay more money and energy and get little in return

I tried google ads, doing it myself and having 2 other companies do it, both of them turned out to be hopeless, not to mention the last one took money out of my credit card without permission
    ( I did get it returned after a few pushes)

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this
    Im just feeling a little lost as to what my next direction is
    Do I continue
    or do I stop

Is it that I am just going about it the wrong way
    Is it the financial times right now and people just arent spending

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Em

[Former] FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Em, hi Gill

I was just about to send you both the same message, but Gill beat me to it!

Em, I hope you don’t mind, but when I met Gill at Flying Solo Live yesterday, there just seemed to be so many synergies between your two businesses that I suggested she contact you. Hope it turns into a nice little alliance for you both, or at the very least a new friend each!

Gill, it was really lovely to meet you yesterday, and thanks for making the trip. I am so impressed that you had time to fly back to Brissie and get on the forums all in the same evening!

Have a great day girls :-)

Openhearted
    Up

Hi There

Thanks for thinking of me
    I would love to meet
    I am not sure when I am up there next
    I will pvt you
    Hope all is divine :-)
    Emelisa

Adam Randall
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

Yes I get these feelings occasionally.

Seeing people who do what I do in a steady job with the appearance of security earning $100K a year, my employees earning more than I do, dealing with unreasonable clients, and sometimes even going backwards.

I dont have an answer but at least you know there are others out there who have similar thoughts.

I do think that without my effort, there would be 3 less full time jobs in Australia, not much but its a contribution and that alone makes me feel good.

The reality is I would be depressed working for someone else, I could never go back to it.

They reckon that its the lows that make the highs so worthwhile, I think that this is true.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

The reality is I would be depressed working for someone else, I could never go back to it.

Adam, I agree.We have made ourselves unemployable.
    Just the thought, Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up and anger swell.
    “The good times will come” and from looking at the news last night the share market is as good as it was before the meltdown, that means the economy is going in the right direction and it will follow that we as soloists will start to reap the benefits shortly.

Be optomistic.

Think possitive,

and get ready for a busy 2010.

Openhearted
    Up

Thanks Adam for sharing how you feel
    I work for some one else at the moment and I really do enjoy my job and have excellent bosses
    I also have free time to explore my business
    Im kinda of on hold at the moment
    I am painting for me
    Which feels great
    I have a client next week
    and the occasional inquiry
    Clarity will come
    Emelisa

Karen Wardle
    • Total posts: 363
    Up

Hi Em

If I could respond to the following;

Some of my questions that I ponder are
    Is my website working?

In response to your first question, I had a quick look at your homepage and the keywords that are being used for them.

Using a keyword demand/supply tool I researched the demand and supply numbers for these terms. The demand numbers are how many searches are done for this keyword per month. I found the following;

Healing with art Only 35 per month
    Emilisa Mudle not enough to be in the database tool that I use
    Heart Art 741 per month but a supply of 933. So there are more being supplied than there are in demand, which is not ideal and very difficult to rank with google.
    Creative Self Awarness Workshop not enough to be in the database tool that I use but obviously less than 35/month.
    Self Awarness Classes not enough to be in the database tool that I use

Em I am very far from an expert but based on these numbers it will be very difficult to attract enough people to your site. So in answer to your first question I would say no sorry but your website isn’t working.

In addition, your site has an alexa ranking of around the 3.6 million mark which reflects that lack of traffic. But on the positive side at least you have a ranking! Many sites don’t.

You are extremely talented and the fact that you have had your business for over six years now shows your dedication and commitment to it. Keep going, I know you will as I feel that this is something that you live and breathe and I commend you for being able to keep a balance in your life. (I do find this a bit difficult at times).

If I want some of my website re written where would I look?

Em before deciding on anyone I suggest that you go to go to
    http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo
    and enter your site info. Alexa gives a ranking to each website based on the traffic (visitor numbers) to that site.

You can do this for any site and it will show the ranking of that site globally, in the US, Australia and the UK. If you click on the traffic rank, reach and page view tabs you can also see the growth or decline of a particular site over the previous 3 months. For example it shows that your site has improved in its rankings by 2 million in the past 3 months which is excellent. Do you know where the increase in traffic has come from? Have you made more forum posts or created more incoming links.

Em I strongly suggest that you also download the Alexa toolbar.
    [URL=”ttp://www.alexa.com/toolbar”]http://www.alexa.com/toolbar[/URL]
    The toolbar will then be placed in the bottom right corner of your page when browsing and will show the ranking of any page or site that you view.

This is particularly important when looking for someone new to build or edit your site. You can part with good money for a site that looks great and has all the bells and whistles but if it doesn’t do the job ie attract visitors, then what is the point.

As I say Em I am not an expert at all and know very little about HTML and keyword optimization etc. I am very happy with the program that I am using. My site has been up for less than six months and my traffic is increasing every day. I had NO html knowledge prior to building my site.

Someone with your talent and skill has a lot to offer to people. It is just a matter of getting yourself found on the net.

A thought that has just come to mind……..possibly do some research on better keywords. Ones that people are searching for yet ones that don’t have a huge supply. Then build pages around these or get some of your current pages edited to include better keywords. You could then see if your traffic improves. Do you know how many unique visitors you are getting to your site each day?

Em if you would like me to run a few keywords through my research tool to see if they have better numbers just let me know as I would be happy to do a few for you.

Sorry for the long post but I can’t sit back when people with so much talent (such as yourself) struggle with attracting visitors to their sites. If I can do it then anybody can.

If you have any questions please ask.

Karen
    http://www.you-can-start-business.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.