Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Questions about a blog

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    SlimDownShapeUp
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I am considering starting a blog as a side to my website. I feel it suits the industry I am in because I can offer valuable information that people are interested in. I already write articles on various health and fitness topics and post them on my website but I feel a blog would get better exposure. I just have a few questions for anyone who wants to help.

1. In your experience, has a blog been worth it?
    2. Once you have started a log, how do you go about attracting more viewers/subscribers, etc.?
    3. Which blog site do you use or recommend as there are a few (blogger, blogspot, etc)

Thanks

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Hi there,

If you are already posting articles on your website is there really any point in doing a separate blog at blogger? What is the purpose of the existing articles on the site?

I’m just thinking you might be better off at trying to get more traffic to the existing articles? If they are on site that’s the best place to try to turn them into customers?

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Well, my tactic is to have the blog separate to the main part of my site (I’m not saying this is the best tactic, just the one I’m trying)

The main reason being, I enjoy running a blog, it’s like a hobby to me now. It’s growing really, really quickly (about 20% more unique visitors each day) and I’m learning a tremendous amount.

I also advertise my main business on my blog and have had quite a few referrals from it. (Funny, I’m getting referrals from myself).

I’ve tried all the blogging software and I would hands down, chest thump and flag raise recommend word press. It’s widely supported with countless plugins available.

Aidan
    Up

Aaahh yes – gotta love wordpress, so flexible…

can be used as a simple blog or as a sophisticated site…

The self hosted version that is NOT wordpress.com which is really a blogger type service…

SlimDownShapeUp
    Up
    Aidan, post: 25245 wrote:
    Hi there,

If you are already posting articles on your website is there really any point in doing a separate blog at blogger? What is the purpose of the existing articles on the site?

I’m just thinking you might be better off at trying to get more traffic to the existing articles? If they are on site that’s the best place to try to turn them into customers?

Thanks for your reply. I see your point. Would it not be a good idea to have a separate blog that places well in googles ‘organic’ search results that can then link back to my site? Sought of like I would do with facebook, etc? I have little knowledge of SEO (as u can probably tell!) so any advice is appreciated.

EDIT: I will check out the links in ur sig

Chromatix
    Participant
    • Total posts: 85
    Up

Coming from a web optimisation (SEO) side of things having a blog off your site would be quite beneficial. The more traffic you can drive to your blog, the better. You might also want to check out http://www.johnchow.com if you’re interested in making money from your blog. Enjoy!

Irwin

Chromatix
    Boutique Web Design and Graphic Arts studio
    http://www.chromatix.com.au/

Lizzie
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

In addition to driving traffic to your web site, have you found you’re getting good tips and leads from the people who post on your blog? As a person who likes to read blogs, I get all kinds of great info and ideas from the people who respond, so to me that would be another plus. Plus, as already noted, it helps drive more traffic to your site. (Our web site builder guru said anything like that is great for pushing you up higher, too, in terms of search engines.)

How often are you updating the blog? I hate going on a site and finding out (as I did on one site last week) the last time it had been updated was in March 2009. You sound like you’re much more on top of things!

Lizzie
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

I had another thought. I do work for a client who’s peripherally involved in health and fitness. For this client I do a newsletter monthly, so I’m always looking for fitness-related information. There are, as I’m sure you’re aware, a ton of sites that involve that topic. Can you get links on those sites to your site?

Just a thought.

Aidan
    Up

Hi ‘SlimDownShapeUp’,

What I was getting at is if you are having trouble drawing enough visitors to your existing site – why now give yourself the task of trying to draw enough to two different sites? You could always put a blog on your existing site if you think readers are likely to engage with it (offering their comments etc).

From the SEO perspective, yes it is certainly true that having links to your site from other sites helps your main site BUT how much it helps really depends on how ‘powerful’ those link sources are and a poorly read blog at Blogger, WordPress.com or wherever is simply not going to have the ‘juice’ to make any appreciable contribution.

If on the other hand you have the means of promoting an offsite blog separately (and in addition) to your main site then you could maybe get a bit of a funnel effect going but you need to be quite committed to get those types of funnels working well and usually need several additional properties to post on to really make that approach work.

What are the most powerful links to a site? Well if you are trying to rank for ‘slimming workouts’ the best links to get would be from sites already ranking for that keyword – and their anchor text for the link to your site would be the keyword! That’s a tough ask, too impractical for many link seekers!

On the other hand if you can get enough links from other health related sites and blogs, maybe get a link from a news or educational site too, you are well on the way.

See if you can write articles on other health blogs as a guest poster – in return for a link to your own site of course! In-content links from related blogs are excellent links to get :)

SlimDownShapeUp
    Up

Thanks everyone for the tips!

Aidan, thanks a lot, I appreciate the advice. I will go about getting links on popular fitness blogs to my website, thanks!

Aidan
    Up

Hi again – not a problem,

just bear in mind many (most, probably!) blogs these days have no-follow tags on links from comment areas making them of little use for SEO purposes.

It really is best to get a proper link from within the article/post itself, hence my recommendation to see if maybe you could get a few of those as a guest writer on other blogs rather than just getting links from comments you make.

Best of luck

mmhh – methinks I should try to do a post on my blog about where to get links – I’ll try to do one over the coming days!

rowans
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

You should add a WordPress blog, either to your website or as a standalone. If your hosting has a Cpanel you can install WordPress very simply by using Fantastico.

Why would you go to the effort because like fresh content and loves wordpress.

For me it’s a no brainer, I’d be setting up WordPress everyday of the week. Because, it easy to use and open source, Which means it has a large community who use this platform, and since it open source, you’ll find 1000’s of plugins and themes.

• Download and install WordPress on your web host. WordPress is completely customizable and can be used for almost anything
    • WordPress is an Open Source project, which means there are hundreds of people all over the world working on it. (More than most commercial platforms.) It also means you are free to use it for anything
    • The plugins turn this mild manner CMS to Cutting Edge blogging software on steroids, just a couple of the latest blogging technology available to users (such as Trackback) and taking it a step further (such as with Pingback)

Have fun there easy to set up

Aidan
    Up

Trackback and Pingback are latest technology? and they are plugins now?

Man they are hardly new…

in fact rather old hat and they are not plugins?

What you talking about Willis?

Sue G
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

I’d recommend you visit Brisbane-based Yaro Starak’s website at http://www.Entrepreneurs-Journey.com who blogs about how to make money blogging.

Read through a lot of the great content he has there for free about the benefits of blogs and how to optimise them before making your decision.

Cheers

Sue G
    http://www.FreePublicityForProfit.com

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.