Home – New Forums Starting your journey Questions from a newbie

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sam S.
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

I have been looking to get into my first business for quite a while, and have decided to go for a franchise (food), as I have no business experience.

My question is, can anyone recommend any small business courses which help on giving basic knowledge, writing business plans, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ginja77
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Hi, I’m a newbie too. I have a link you may be interested in, this is from our economic development board website in my home town where they can help you setup/start your own business. It’s relevant to all small business ventures, so it maybe of some use to you. I found it helpful.
    http://www.wedb.com.au/businessservices/
    Hopefully, it works.

Cheers
    Ginja

Sean@dominiumcapital
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Hi Sam. Without trying to sound “too tough” on you, I seem to have a come across a number of people on the site who have no business experience, but who want to get into the food industry as their first self-employed venture. I don’t know if it’s just a trend, but what I would say is that it’s a pretty tough industry to launch into with no experience, from my professional advisory experience.

We have a number of clients who own food industry businesses – cafes, restaurants, to little “hole in the wall” coffee dispensaries. They’re great businesses, but hard work.

What I would say – first up – is that you should go and work in a food business if you haven’t already (maybe you have – I couldn’t tell from your first post). The food industry can be rewarding, but it’s tough – it’s not for the faint-hearted or the lazy (not suggesting you’re lazy here!).

Second – a good business course. If you’re keen on study, your local TAFE might have a course (Diploma of Business, for example) which might be a good starting point. Balance this idea with practical experience, though (as per my point above – actually working in the industry). Outside of that, look at a uni course in business or commerce. But, that’s a much bigger committment. And many would say that working in the industry will teach you a lot more.

Outside of that, you should get your adviser(s) on board early, if you have them. Accountant, lawyer, business cosultant – they all have different skills and perspectives to bring to the table and it’s worth spending the money early to avoid crippling financial mistakes downstream. I am NOT suggesting you pay a fortune on these services, but don’t be frightened to spend a little to save a lot. This can, however, be an option for getting your plan written and usable (if you can’t do it yourself).

Lastly: use this site! I’ve seen some great input from a lot of users on this site – people who genuinely want to add value and help. So, get amongst the different forum threads and discover as much as you can. I think this is a great site.

Good luck with it all – don’t let someone like me put you off your dream, with my talk of food being a tough industry!! But, if I could summarise everything I’ve written above: just go into your venture with as much information as possible.

I hope this post helps you out a bit.
    Cheers.
    Sean.

Sean Dunne
    Dominium Capital
    http://www.dominiumcapital.com.au

Sam S.
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Thanks for the link Ginja, and Sean I appreciate the detailed post.

The reason I have chosen the food industry is because this is what I am most passionate about and can see myself doing, and I have chosen to go with a franchise as I have no business experience. I am currently trying to find weekend work in this industry as you have suggested, and have passed my resume onto a few places so hopefully something turns up and I will get a feel for what it is really like.

Once again thanks for the tips.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.