Home – New Forums Money matters Quick Poll – MYOB or Quickbooks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    TheTrish
    • Total posts: 43
    Up
    ::
    eclipse, post: 3924 wrote:
    Some really good points from both sides it seems.

Or when is Open Source finally going to take over this genre and we get the software for free? The tax department could then issue some basic open source book-keeping software updates. It’s not like replacing Photoshop with it’s 60 million lines of code… it’s just book-keeping! Makes me fairly cranky.

MYOB seems to be just too expensive for what I’m getting.

Not sure if this will help anyone but I now use MYOB but previously I used the free software from ATO, e-Record. It served my purpose for the first year of business but I outgrew it.

It is quite basic and easy to use but may not have the features you need.

tildavirtual
    • Total posts: 53
    Up

Sorry to disagree but it’s not just bookkeeping. There’s a reason why you need training and further personal development to be a bookkeeper. It’s really important to have the right software and if your software isn’t meeting your needs then it’s time to change and try something else.

For me, I’m a bit jaded about them all. I only run a husband & wife graphic design firm and don’t track any inventory.

I’m just over paying $450 a year or whatever for MYOB’s tax tables! So I didn’t subscribe again. I was planning to just send my accountant the end-of-year files in the old 2007 Software for the next 5 years or so, and guess what? I can’t figure out how to manually change the tax on our 2 paycheques per month. It doesn’t seem to let me.

I’m over it. I can’t wait for someone like Apple to add an MYOB thing to iWorks or iLife. Call it iBooks if you wish. They could have an international core double entry book-keeping system that then has national tax and accounts plans to download and add-on.

Or when is Open Source finally going to take over this genre and we get the software for free? The tax department could then issue some basic open source book-keeping software updates. It’s not like replacing Photoshop with it’s 60 million lines of code… it’s just book-keeping! Makes me fairly cranky.

@HeatherSmithAU
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

For me, I’m a bit jaded about them all. I only run a husband & wife graphic design firm and don’t track any inventory.

I’m just over paying $450 a year or whatever for MYOB’s tax tables! So I didn’t subscribe again. I was planning to just send my accountant the end-of-year files in the old 2007 Software for the next 5 years or so, and guess what? I can’t figure out how to manually change the tax on our 2 paycheques per month. It doesn’t seem to let me.

I’m over it. I can’t wait for someone like Apple to add an MYOB thing to iWorks or iLife. Call it iBooks if you wish. They could have an international core double entry book-keeping system that then has national tax and accounts plans to download and add-on.

Hi Eclipse,

It sounds like you are using the wrong MYOB software – you probably should be using simply MYOB Accounting.

This is however based on the very limited information that you have left on your post.

If there is only two of you I would not bother with the tax tables and would manually calculate it from the ATO PAYG Withholding calculator (that you can download for free)

I would continue to use the software that you have – you can still use all the other timesaving features, bank recs, importing bank statements, exporting payments, BAS Link, company data auditor etc.

I have clients like you who have not upgraded payroll for the last 5 years, never pay MYOB any more money, and still get many of the great features that come with the software.

If you are not using it (but I think you should) de-register it and sell it on ebay!

matrixtransform
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    divapromotions, post: 2072 wrote:
    Ok, for those who have used either of those systems, which one do you prefer for your business and why?

I have found MYOB to be the most painful, archaic and counter-intuitive piece of junk I have ever encountered….plain and simple…I used it 10 years go and it really hasn’t changed one little bit since then. The same old frustrations…complete lack of help either from the help files or from what they like to believe is …’support’. Still cannot even find the serial number from the ‘About” menu like you would in NORMAL software….noooo….have to ring ‘support’ just to find the serial number….and to cap it all off, the first question they ask when you do is…yep, you guessed it….”what is the serial number?”

If you wanna use MYOB then get used to:
    * not being able to adjust column widths in any table views.
    * not having enough characters to describe your inventory.
    * not being able adjust the columns to read the descriptions anyway
    * Jobs and time billing having no connection to anything else in the system
    * adding items to Item invoices from a list that isnt alphabetically sorted or filtered.
    *…not being able to change or alter any settings like column widths, sort order etc
    *inventory items that appear on invoices at weird prices….and not being able to change it. (makes no sense)
    *items from inventory that dont appear on Supplier Orders because they persist in using the other code, on the other tab, that you forgot to order….but you didnt know existed….
    *oh yeah…get used to lots and lots of double entry(is this why they call it double entry accounting?)

….what a piece of crap….I want my money back.

…here’s a clue: You CANNOT sort inventory by supplier, category or any other method in MYOB…and so after 3 hours of frustration at trying to add 3 items to the inventory list and create an order I decided to prefix every inventory item with a supplier code….thats when I discovered that MYOB will NOT order a list.

I decided to try reinstalling the Quickbooks demo and trying to export all my MYOB entries. Anyway, I export the inventory from MYOB into Quickbooks and IMMEDIATELY when I try to create an order in QB, I am presented with a sorted and alphabetized list….I was sold there and then.

People, do not listen to the book-keepers….if you need inventory or job or time keeping then AVOID MYOB like the plague….it is useless. You’re better off with the free cashbook from the ATO.

I have purchased a CRM software from the US that interfaces to QB….and it is inexpensive and robust and thorough….whereas every package that interfaced with MYOB was painful and expensive and lacking in features. Couldnt test any interface with MYOB….of course you’d have to pay for that first.

I despise MYOB with a rare passion and I will be junking it at the end of this financial year and paying for Quickbooks.

Oh…I do understand this accounting process….it isnt just a lack of “training”….myob is really, truly just rubbish…..do yourself a favour. Buy QB and persevere, you’ll be much happier in the long run.

beanydc
    • Total posts: 44
    Up

It is a myth that a bookkeeping package will save you accounting fees. You need the package, you need the training, you need the understanding of deductibility, you need the time to feed and water it each and every week.
    When it comes to tax time, we need to check what the user has done – this is what can add hours and hours to the job. Different packages have different degrees of idiotproofness. The worst excesses are in those integrated inventory/accounting packages, and MYOB is hands down one of the worst to successfully navigate and get right – even so called bookkeepers can have issues with it. And everytime I think I have a handle on the weirdities that users can perpetuate, I find a new one.

So, before you buy software, check with your accountant – what do they recommend. It should be a discussion about what you need, what you want, and what you can make do with. SOHO people need to work very hard to convince me that computerised inventory is a cost efficient solution.

matrixtransform, post: 4431 wrote:
    I despise MYOB with a rare passion and I will be junking it at the end of this financial year and paying for Quickbooks.

Oh…I do understand this accounting process….it isnt just a lack of “training”….myob is really, truly just rubbish…..do yourself a favour. Buy QB and persevere, you’ll be much happier in the long run.

Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up

I have found that Quickbooks is much better at tracking jobs. If you are running a business where you require to track the income and expenses on a job by job basis then Quickbooks does this a LOT better than MYOB. I also would much prefer to use Quickbooks payroll programs than MYOB.

On the plus side for MYOB it has a much better registration system. The GST capturing and reporting is much better, as is the reporting in general.

I don’t think either program is particularly easy to use for someone with little or no accounting knowledge. This is what gets a lot of people into trouble. I have had to totally rebuild clients files after they have tried to do their bookkeeping themselves. It has taken hours to redo all their work and would have been easier and cheaper for them if they had just got someone to do it for them to start with.

cutecub00
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

I’ve used Quickbooks for 4 years with no complaints to make.
    I have a brand new copy of quickbooks, and I must say I’m so happy with it. Again, it is so easy to use, to record payments and to manage my accounts.The interface in Quickbooks is much nicer.
    quickbooks point of sale

copywriter
    • Total posts: 61
    Up

As an accountant, i know we absolutely hate dealing with clients that use Quickbooks. If we had our way, everyone would be on MYOB. If you choose to go with Quickbooks expect to pay more to your accountant, i have worked at a few accounting firms and most hate dealing with quickbook files and they are much less competent (from an accountants perspective) with the program compared to MYOB. (ie more billing hours for you)

beancounter
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

We get asked this question over and over by clients – there is no “one size fits all” answer to this question

Bookkeepers, accountants and clients alike will rave on about their “preferred” accounting software package

You could easily be at Bathurst watching the 1000 listening to people arguing the pros and cons of Holden Versus Ford

We hear the same types of discussion with Quickbooks and MYOB

Bookkeeping is bookkeeping is bookkeeping – both MYOB and Quickbooks have addressed the same issues, maybe in slightly different ways

Same as the PC versus MAC discussions – some people like one system, others hate it

Each week we work with both systems – they both have their pluses and minuses – depends on the particular nature of the business – but more importantly – the operator

GIGO – Garbage in – Garbage out – if the chart of accounts isn’t set up correctly, if the data isn’t entered correctly, then the results will not be correct regardless of which accounting package you use

As stated previously, MYOB seems to have dominated the Australian market – though they are failing dramatically with their client relations and losing business because they have lost the focus of their core business – the new management team has taken the shift from the product support to the almighty dollar

There seem to be more bookkeepers skilled in MYOB than Quickbooks in Australia – but that doesn;t necessarily mean its a better product

Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up

Rightly or wrongly that is the way it is.

MYOB is much more highly regarded by many Accounting firms.

Jill
    • Total posts: 102
    Up

MYOB

Both my accountant and I prefer it that way. It does everything I need.

PS re the Bathurst comment… pffft Holdens are just better than Ffffffff.. them.

cutecub00
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Can anybody having updates about quickbooks 2007..i had this version for upgrading..but i don’t know is it good for using all my accounting needs?any help would be appreciated.
    point of sale quickbooks

nominal
    • Total posts: 504
    Up

This is an old thread but I could not resist the SEO benefits :-)

Plus it makes for such interesting reading to hear people complain about MYOB and QuickBooks.

And lastly being a community of small business you do tend to stick with the big brand names…

we provide a small business accounting software which is easy to use, cost effective, built especially for Australian small businesses, does time billing & payroll and has the most advanced PayPal accounting system in existence.

RapidEntryBiz
    • Total posts: 134
    Up

I’ve grown up with MYOB but the more I use Quickbooks, and it was a very steep learning curve for me so its possible to learn its ‘ins and outs’ very fast, the more I like it.
    Cost is a factor that cant be overlooked and what I don’t like about both of them is the annual upgrade/support/tax tables fee of around $500. Now that the Australian tax rates have stabilized (Kevin’s 3 year upgrade finalised in 2011*) it’ll be easier for small businesses to use older versions of these programs if they wish.
    Its depends on what you need as to which one is better suited to your business although you can adapt any system to suit, especially when you couple it with that brilliant program, Excel.
    There are now 4 players in the market though, not just these two; you have to add Saasu and Xero to the debate.

*to my best knowledge, don’t quote me

Rhys
    • Total posts: 325
    Up

Guys,

What an awesome thread, an oldie but a goldie. So much passion, so much emotion, over bookkeeping software. Which is great, because it is a topic that is pretty critical to all our businesses.

Clearly a number of people have had some really poor experiences. Not going to address individual issues raised, I think most of these have been addressed along the way (plus some contributors have reached very firm conclusions that I guess will not be easy to shift).

Two comments though:

1. A couple of people make the comment that you should find out what your accountant uses, and use that. I disagree.

Yes this is a factor, but your accountant is not the most important user of the system – you are.

Your accountant uses it once a year (or maybe 4 times if they also do your BAS), you use it every day. You need to make sales, record purchases, track inventory, pay employees and a whole bunch more besides. You are the one who needs to get information out of the system to help run your business day by day, you are the one that needs a system that is easy to use. Figure out what system meets your needs the best.

And yes include the impact on compliance costs in your decision, but that is just one factor in figuring out what is the right solution for you.

2. Since the thread started the world has moved on somewhat, so in my opinion the question is not Ford v Holden, but rather it is the equivalent to asking do you prefer VHS or Betamax? Because for most of us the answer to that question is neither, they have both been superseded by newer technology.

Rapidentry makes the point below that you can now add Saasu & Xero to your list of solutions to review, I agree. In my opinion (another strongly held view here) for small business the benefits of being on the cloud leave all of the server based applications for dead.

So if you are still using a server based solution (or thinking of impementing one) you might want to have a look at some of the cloud options before you decide.

Cheers, Rhys

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.