Home – New Forums Tech talk Quick question on INDD files

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    SalenaKnight
    • Total posts: 604
    Up
    ::

Can I edit them with Illustrator?

I’ve just purchased Illustrator, but my designer has sent me INDD files – should I ask for EPS or will I be ok to edit the files?

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

They will need to be saved as EPS or even PDF from Indesign.

If it’s a multi page document, you will need a separate file for each page as Illy doesn’t support multi page stuff.

If you get stuck, I’d be happy to convert them for you.

SalenaKnight
    Up

thank you – I had asked for them in EPS, so I’ll get him to convert them.

Now to install my software and work this program out!

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Just to clarify – INDD files are Indesign files which can only be opened in Adobe Indesign. They also require all links and fonts. Adobe Illustrator is a drawing vector program – anything drawn as vector can be scaled as large as you like without loss of clarity; Adobe Photoshop is for editing photos or anything in pixels; Adobe Indesign is a page layout program in which you can also draw vectors. With Indesign you can place (import) native Illustrator AI and Photoshop PSD files as well as many other formats including PDF, EPS, Tiff etc. The Adobe Creative Suite includes all of these programs and more including Acrobat Professional. Illustrator opens Acrobat and EPS files as well.

Each of the programs will take time to learn. They are not instinctive.

If you want to know the difference between vectors and pixels, I have a blog post here. http://www.unicorngraphics.com.au/design_blog2/files/vector-line-pixels.html

Cheers.

SalenaKnight
    Up

thanks Karen

Perhaps I’m better off with indesign? I’ll read your blog post now. I haven’t opened the box, so can always swap it over.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Hi, as I said above, these are not instinctive programs and will take dedication in time to learn.

I would suggest you download the trial versions first at
    http://www.adobe.com/au/downloads/

and then see which best fits your needs because you haven’t said what you want to do with the programs or files.

(Tip: Make sure you choose Australia for region and UK English when installing because if you purchase and install over a trial version, it has to be the same region.)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.