Home – New Forums Money matters Quickbooks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    somethingnaughty
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

Can anyone tell me how much they would expect to pay a bookkeeper to install quickbooks, setup a new data file and design a new invoice template. This took one hour and a half hours in total.

Thanks

FionaFell
    • Total posts: 342
    Up

At the risk of ‘fence sitting’ – it depends?

Qualifications, Value and Complexity.

All of these factors impact the price that I would expect to pay, what I would be happy paying and what the accountant/bookkeeper was asking to be paid.

[Sorry if that was of absolutely no help whatsoever]

Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up

How long is a piece of string? Its very hard to make any sort of statement based on the little information that you gave us. There are many variables in those 3 items that were performed.

somethingnaughty
    Up

I’m not sure what else to say!

Obviously installing quickbooks just involves putting the cd in the computer and pressing install! Setting up the data file involves inserting information regarding the company to create a file to which to work from in the future. Finally designing an invoice is using one of the invoices supplied in the program and inserting ABN number, terms of trade etc etc. Fairly straightforward stuff.

Darren, are you saying this is a one off cost to do all this rather than a rate per hour?

Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up

Donna.

On the surface it may seem straight forward but there is a little more to it. No time now to write a proper response but will later.

Karen Wardle
    • Total posts: 363
    Up

Hi

Not sure if this will help you either but….

I had a data file set up for me, though it was myob. I didn’t get the invoicing formatted etc as I did that myself and the chart of accounts was very basic. She charged $60. It didn’t take her very long. The price was less than I expected as she was very qualified.

Will you be inputting the transactions yourself or is this something that they will be doing also (from your post I am guessing that you will be doing this yourself).

As Darren said (hi Darren) how long is a piece of string.(By the way I once went to TAFE with a guy who would always answer that with the following…..twice the length from the midpoint to one end)! :)

I would imagine that you could be quoted for the whole job rather than a per hour basis. There are many bookkeepers here you will be able to set you straight.

somethingnaughty
    Up

Thanks Karen.

I was expecting about $100 for an hour and a half. The bill I received was nearly double that!

Karen Wardle
    Up

Seems a bit much to me too. Maybe some of the bookkeepers and accountants can jump in here and give you the average hourly rate.

Was there any agreement or estimate discussed prior to the work being done? I am guessing not :(

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

Seems reasonable to me, maybe a very small touch expensive but nothing to get upset about… It was on-site I take it? They have to travel, pay all kinds of expenses.

They would be better off working at Coles if they charged any less. In perspective, an electrician who just came out my house the other day charged $85/hour plus $60 call out fee.

Anyway, ask what value you get, not how much it cost you, did you get good value? :)

Karen Wardle
    Up

I don’t know too many bookkeepers that are charging around $130/hr

Did they have far to come to visit you. Most would factor in travel time after a certain distance. Did this apply in your case, if so then you might be getting up there.

peppie
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

Donna, using the electricians example from above you would be paying nearly $200 for 1 1/2 hours. I hold an electrical contractors lic. (though haven’t been doing much for a while) and I have no problem believing that is the going rate. Believe me, plumbers charge more and many is the time I thought I had chosen the wrong trade.

It’s really a case of how much a persons time is worth, so much for knowing what to hit and so much for knowing where to hit it used to be the saying in my time.

My advice, never assume the price before hand and always ask, because that is the only time you have the chance to bargain.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

I would probably value someone to do that kind of work at around roughly $60 per hour. So including travel, I would probably have a figure in mind like yours of around $100.

Can they give you a breakdown?

James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up
    somethingnaughty, post: 27817 wrote:
    I’m not sure what else to say!

Obviously installing quickbooks just involves putting the cd in the computer and pressing install! Setting up the data file involves inserting information regarding the company to create a file to which to work from in the future. Finally designing an invoice is using one of the invoices supplied in the program and inserting ABN number, terms of trade etc etc. Fairly straightforward stuff.

Darren, are you saying this is a one off cost to do all this rather than a rate per hour?

I guess this begs the obvious – if it was that simple is there a reason you didn’t do it yourself? Often clients percieve that engagements are simple / straightforward and often its not the case (not saying thats entirely whats happened here).

Anyway back to your case and question. If 1.5 hours was around $200 then thats circa $65 per hour. Thats above standard bookkeeping rates but certainly not out of the ballpark for an MYOB / Qbooks certified bookkeeper (where they go through a decent training process in addition to base skills). Not to mention the fact that these functions are very important to get right.

Its towards the top end but acceptable. Perhaps ask for estimates before you engage them in future. Good advisors (bookkeepers, accountants, lawyers) are not cheap and evaluating them on price alone is problematic. My wifes car was serviced recently and the labour cost was charged at $120 per hour plus parts (not a Ferrari either). Thats the price of business in todays world I’m afraid.

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up
    JamesMillar, post: 27935 wrote:
    If 1.5 hours was around $200 then thats circa $65 per hour.

Not quite. $133 per hour.

BrightSpark
    • Total posts: 131
    Up

Why didn’t you do it yourself?

That way it wouldn’t have cost you any dollars at all.

There would have been some travelling involved, unless they are right beside you, so other than the 1.5 hours at your place what else was involved, travel, vehicle costs, tolls, phone calls, and/or emails, knowledge, training, gst, courses, software fees, even looking up your address and working out the best route to your place.

If you don’t ask upfront then don’t complain afterwards.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.