Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Radio interview tips please!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    SheInspires
    • Total posts: 247
    Up
    ::

I’m being interviewed on Angela Vithoulkas Business Mix tonight http://www.angelavithoulkas.com.au/page/angelas_business_mix_radio_program.html and http://www.facebook.com/angelasbusinessmix

and would love some tips.

It’s for about 15 minutes and we’re talking about:

* the importance of using competitions as promotions and content for your business, social media content (hence competitions of course)
    * the benefits of telling stories as valuable content for your site and social media
    * what’s happening at The Rocks Pop Up Project and the social media seminar series

I’m thinking I should take one sheet of paper with notes on it.

It’s on 2SSR 99.7fm on Monday evenings 6-8pm

I’d really love some advice and help!

Thanks!

peppie
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

If the interviewer is worth her salt she should go through with you before hand what she will talk about and the sort of questions she will ask. She should also be asking you what you can cover so she knows what to ask you.

Other than that, yes do go with a summary list of points you want to cover because in the heat of the moment you may find it hard to remember what you want to say.

Radio and having a microphone in front of you has a funny way of putting the pressure on, it takes a lot of practice to be able to keep talking intelligently whilst trying to think of what else you need to say or do. Consider the difficulty of have to say change music over while announcing.

One more point, keep your delivery as conversational as possible. Treat it like a discussion with the interviewer, where a thousand other people just happen to be listening in! Also don’t be afraid to make gestures and facial expressions as you talk, you might be surprised just how this can come across in the tone of your voice.

Tinac
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

Hi SheInpires,

Congratulations on your radio interview, exciting stuff.

Yes take notes with you, in dot form only so that you can refer to them and get your points across, without sounding like you are reading them and you don’t want to forget anything that you intended to say!

But the most important thing is to stay calm and fun with it.

I am sure you will be great.

Thanks

SheInspires
    Up

Thanks so much!

Yes, the PDF info sheet Angela sent me is really useful.

It’s been years since I’ve been in a radio studio and back then it was as a journo student doing the interviewing and news reading.

Thanks for the great tips and support! :)

This is the link to it all http://www.angelavithoulkas.com.au/article/angelas-business-mix-radio-monday-12-september-2011

Let me know what you think of it if you get a chance to listen.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

It is live or recorded? Oddly live ones are easier, in my experience. I Always tried to make it too perfect fpr the recorded ones and gave them plenty of editing to do!

Yes have your dot points handy, esp if there are some stats that you might want to quote.

Think about it as just you and the interviewer. As pointed out, they should spend at leat 15 minutes going over with you the areas. Even take a few dot points they can use as their road map as well. That way there will not be any surprises!

DON”T RUSH – speak slowly – it won’t seem slow to the listener.

HAVE FUN – they are only askinmg you questions on stuff you know!!

NickHumphries
    • Total posts: 418
    Up

Angela is a really nice woman and a fantastic entrepreneur!

Just be yourself, write down a few things you want to say and just try not to be boring either!

SheInspires
    Up

I really appreciate all the generous support and advice, that’s great, thank you.

It went well – I did wake up this morning going, oh, I said too much on that and not enough on this but that’s fine, you can never get anything perfect (my mantra for today!).

Yes, Angela is great and I’m a big fan of her’s – I’ve done a couple stories on her for She Inspires and she even quoted one of them on air which was lovely – http://www.sheinspires.com.au/social-media-tips has both of them.

Angela’s invited me back but then she might do that to all her guests!

But I’m seeing her on Friday night as she’s presenting at the Social Media for Small Business Success seminar I’m putting on. She’s really stoked that I’ve got the new Small Business Commissioner and the State Transport Minister coming along so I’m rather chuffed that I’ve impressed Angela!

Apparently the show will be podcast once the new 2SSR 99.7fm website is launched so I’ll share that once I have it.

JaneB
    • Total posts: 324
    Up

Good on you. The more interviews you do the easier it gets and then interviewers will just call you up for instant quotes.

SheInspires
    Up

Thanks for that.

I did a blog post about it at http://www.creativelybelle.com/my-first-radio-interview/

Just more to share the lessons learnt.

Next big thing for me this week is Friday night with the Small Business Commissioner and Transport Minister coming along to a seminar I’m putting on. I’m also interviewing them (as well as the Small Business Minister) so working on questions – figuring out what my readers would want to know about these women – not political stuff, real life perspective. Anyway, it’s all good, and the stretching is getting easier. :)

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

I heard the interview, you went great =)

Angela is amazing isn’t she ;)

– Jake

SheInspires
    Up

Thanks so much!

You just made a it a whole heap more real though! :)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.