Home – New Forums Tech talk Ranking in Yahoo and Bing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    ExecAccess
    • Total posts: 229
    Up
    ::

Hi All

Chipping away as usual on the SEO on our 2 websites and just did a Market Samurai rank tracking update (love their “new and improved” rank tracking tool) and just wondered if I have missed something fundamental.

While we feature in the search engine results for many of our key words on Google – some better than other – we only feature in fraction of search engine results for Bing and Yahoo.

What am I missing? Any thought would be welcome.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Hi Wendy,

Firstly I’d say that Bing/Yahoo share about 4% of the search engine traffic here in Oz so don’t worry too much about them.

Secondly, tools such as MS are not professional tools.

Thirdly I’d say that if you get ranked in Google, then the others tend to follow not-too-far behind.

:)

ExecAccess
    Up
    Aidan, post: 125458 wrote:
    Hi Wendy,

Firstly I’d say that Bing/Yahoo share about 4% of the search engine traffic here in Oz so don’t worry too much about them.

Thirdly I’d say that if you get ranked in Google, then the others tend to follow not-too-far behind.

:)

Thanks Aidan.

I have found MS quite useful but then I am not an SEO professional so while I do work on it as part of my essential weekly (if not daily) tasks it is not my occupation. I can’t remember how I even learned about MS, it was very early on in our launching our e-commerce site.

What tools would you recommend Aidan?

DigitalDomination
    • Total posts: 184
    Up
    Aidan, post: 125458 wrote:

Why isn’t it Aidan?

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

I wouldn’t place too much stock in rankings with Yahoo. I never use Yahoo, and I am sure I’m not alone in that regard.

SmartBizBlog
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

Bing? Isn’t that the sound your microwave makes when your food is done, and yahoo what cowboys say?

Never used either; and probably never will. Don’t sweat the small stuff.

Corey
    • Total posts: 568
    Up

are the 2 websites focus on website users?

Cheers
    Corey

ExecAccess
    Up
    Corey, post: 125955 wrote:
    are the 2 websites focus on website users?

Cheers
    Corey

Hi Corey

If I understand your questions, then what I have tried to do is to make both websites focused equally on the customer and on the search engines.

It is a bit of a balancing act. Obviously an e-commerce site has to be designed with the end user at heart. However there is no point at all if the search engines are not going to rank it.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up
    DigitalDomination, post: 125613 wrote:
    Why isn’t it Aidan?

Its just a personal view but when I see tools that tell me what the competition level for a search is based on the numbers of links pointing to the already ranking pages I tend to put it in the non-pro league. When the same tool promises me the world for $147 I take it as a reinforcement of the same.

Personally I tend to prefer the SEOMoz tools (about $100 per month) and the SEO Powersuite ones (about $600 initially plus $300 per year) in combination with browser plugins. I’ve tried others like Raven etc but tend to come back to my favourites.

I’m not saying tools lie MS don’t have their uses, they do – but I personally don’t consider them as pro tools.

Mrs Fox
    • Total posts: 81
    Up
    ExecAccess, post: 125441 wrote:
    Hi All

Chipping away as usual on the SEO on our 2 websites and just did a Market Samurai rank tracking update (love their “new and improved” rank tracking tool) and just wondered if I have missed something fundamental.

While we feature in the search engine results for many of our key words on Google – some better than other – we only feature in fraction of search engine results for Bing and Yahoo.

What am I missing? Any thought would be welcome.

It seems to me that Yahoo has a different way of estimating link popularity. Yahoo seems to be paying more attention on the consistency of topical links connecting all sites in a link network, and I suppose it is more of domain-level rather than page-level analysis.

Snakeman
    Participant
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

Agreed with most of the above.
    Also of relevance is that the bots move about the web at different times and paces.
    My experience is that google bots usually find things earlier and hence what you see on Google now, you will see on Bing/Yahoo in a few months time.
    Rarely the reverse is true.
    Bing/Yahoo also have a slightly higher emphasis on the keywords in the domain url, giving EMD’s an advantage – all other things being equal.
    But yes, winning on Google is a big deal – the other two search engines are literally the dregs in terms of market share and my belief is that they are declining as well at the moment.

ExecAccess
    Up

Thanks again for the responses

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Bing and Yahoo only share a little on the percentage of searches done in Aus, so you don’t need to worry about ranking on those sites too much.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Bing provides Yahoo search results. That started 2 years ago.

I’ve not tried Marketing Samarai but the problems I have with tracker tools is that they are inaccurate and they can’t report enough keywords.

Doesn’t google kick you off at somewhere around 50 automated searches?
    Regs,
    JohnW

Bremen
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi there, does anybody know the website yandex.com Its a russian one starting the internationprocess and where big in some countries

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.