Home – New Forums Other discussions Re: OMNi NSW – ideas needed for not-for-profit organisation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up
    ::

I really cant keep my big mouth shut. Sometimes it gets me into all sorts of strife. Like to day. Went along to an AGM of OMNi (Older Mens Network incorporated) and have become the Vice President.
    Now you are all too young to be involved with OMNi .
    OMNi is about the health and Wellbeing of Older men. It offers a meeting place for Men to talk, enjoy time together, to discuss issues of concern and to develop friendships.
    Why am I mentioning here of Flying Solo. Well as an older bloke I respect your thoughts and advice, as over the years I have learnt so much from you.

I am hoping to develop OMNi in NSW initially because I have witnessed just how important these twice monthly meting are to some very lonely older men.
    Men with health and other issues that talking about with other men seem to help. Advice from other men how to cope and regain their self respect. This is most rewarding.

Now where should I be marketing OMNi ?
    I thought about a Facebook page but how do I do that as we have no email address.

I thinking about some brochures to hand to Chemists, Doctors and Grog shops

Probably some editorial, but what magazines as I have no idea what magazines Older men read, check on you Fathers or Grandfathers see if they have any suggestions.

I know this is a big ask, but your help will very much be appreciated

Thanks
    Burgo

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

G’day Burgo,

As always, I am so impressed with your community spirit and how generous you are with your time.

I’m sure that folks here will chime in with some additional ideas, but in the meantime, here are a few starting points:

Facebook seems like a good idea to me, and I think you’ll find that you need a personal FB account in order to set up your business one, so the lack of email address shouldn’t matter to much.

Having said that, a basic website detailing when the next meetings are on seems like an essential to me, and if you do that you’ll end up with an email address anyway.

In addition to making the brochures available at chemists and doctors, perhaps have a think about churches?

And finally, if you want some editorial, I think local papers in the areas where the groups meet are probably going to work better for you than magazines.

Hope that helps, and by the way, I’ve also updated your thread title slightly to make it easier to spot for the people who might be able to assist.

Keep us posted on how you get on,
    Jayne

Lindz
    • Total posts: 254
    Up

Hey Burgo,

Would http://www.nsw.u3anet.org.au , http://www.NationalSeniors.com.au
    and your local Mens Sheds be worth a look?

Good luck with it?

Lindsay

Burgo
    Participant
    Up

Jayne, you know me well and appreciate your comments.
    Churches most of them have plenty of Older people in them but most are women. I will talk with my friendly local ministers.Thanks

Lindsay, U3a actually has a meeting straight after ours at Epping.
    Men’s Shed is a similar set up but plays with wood, were as OMNi is basically a discussion group for those of us are not very good with our hands.

Omni was originally funded by Cota Council of the aging, but several years ago that funding ceased and two groups were formed OM:NI Older mens New Idea which still has three branches in Wagga.
    The other OMNi is Older Mens Networking incorporated which Ive been a member of for several years. The previous committee have either retired through ill health or just got too old to pursue any growth so the organisation has stagnated for a number of years with branches closing through lack of promotion. We have two active branches in Sydney one in Hornsby and the other at Epping.

What I am wanting to do is expand the organisation at set up branches in suburbs where there are Older men looking for a bit of an escape from their home life situation. I also will be talking to banks such as Bendigo to see if they could help with a little sponsorship to set up a branch in their area.

Membership fee is set at $ 35.00 pa with a $ 5.00 morning tea/hire of hall donation and if there are 15+ members of a branch the membership fee is usually covered by the donation. Membership fee covers Liability Insurance.

The meetings are usually quite interesting as the first part is a check in, talk about anything interesting that happened since the last meeting or talk about anything that may be troubling just to get it off their chest so to speak.
    Talk about your past, childhood, type of work interests anything that comes to mind.
    Then we have a morning tea
    After we have a discussion topic, and this could be on any subject except religion and politics. These always spark even the quietest of Old bloke up.
    So basically that is what an OMNi meeting is about.

The first meeting I attended I almost said My name is Pat Burgess and I’m an alcoholic but I didn’t, and a few month later I told them what I almost did and they all roared of laughter.

So we are now looking at Facebook, and a website, brochures and editorial in local newspapers.
    If the banks are not able to help financially how do I get some sponsorship and who should I be approaching.?

Lindz
    • Total posts: 254
    Up

‘Morning Burgo,

Funding? Hmmm?

Local Council Grants
    Philanthropic Grants
    Local Community Health Centres?
    Whoever is sponsoring the Mens sheds?
    Rotary?

All best,

Lindsay

Burgo
    Participant
    Up
    Lindz, post: 189731 wrote:
    ‘Morning Burgo,

Funding? Hmmm?

Local Council Grants
    Philanthropic Grants
    Local Community Health Centres?
    Whoever is sponsoring the Mens sheds?
    Rotary?

All best,

Lindsay

I was discussing this funding thing with my son, told him about Facebook and a possible website. Now he is 35 and wants to know why cant us younger blokes join we have issues. He set about an Omni room on Facebook which he set up in about 2 minutes flat then started to organise a domain name and a website. He also suggested that once I get a website up I may like to put a note for any one in the community who would like to donate a couple of dollars put the bank details there. You know I would not have thought of that.
    He pointed out that OMNi was providing a service to the Older Men of the community and there would be many people who would support the idea.

What do you think

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Hi Burgo

You could also check out the resource mentioned on this thread, it’s a summary of all the various grants that are on offer.

Robert :)

Burgo
    Participant
    Up

I just mentioned that I was successful in getting the domain name I wanted so last night he built a very basic website http://www.omninsw.org.au
    I think my 8 year old granddaughter had a hand in the choice
    and Ive set up a facebook page which I’ll share later

Thanks Robert

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Burgo, post: 189918 wrote:
    I just mentioned that I was successful in getting the domain name I wanted so last night he built a very basic website http://www.omninsw.org.au
    I think my 8 year old granddaughter had a hand in the choice
    and Ive set up a facebook page which I’ll share later

Thanks RobertWebsite is vital – a place for people to learn about the group – where they meet – what they offer – and a place for contact details.

I would certainly look at making the website a little more informative and maybe look at the design to give it a more polished look.

FB page is great, but you need to market to it and post regularly.

Good luck – it’s a great cause.

Burgo
    Participant
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 189924 wrote:
    Website is vital – a place for people to learn about the group – where they meet – what they offer – and a place for contact details.

I would certainly look at making the website a little more informative and maybe look at the design to give it a more polished look.

FB page is great, but you need to market to it and post regularly.

Good luck – it’s a great cause.

Thanks Matthew
    Yes I agree that the website is vital http://www.omninsw.org.au this is the first draft, which I think took him an hour to do last night after a very heavy day. This morning he actually slept in first time in five years. This is a work in progress and there still is heaps we can put up but we are trying to keep it simple.

Many Older men either don’t use or don’t know how to access the computer, so we are hoping their children may be able to find the page and let them know then we have to establish a branch some where close enough for them to access.

We have two operational branches one at Hornsby and the other Epping now we have to establish branches eastwood/north ryde, Lane Cove, Carlingford, Parramatta which is going to take lots of time and a fair bit of money so I am hoping to be able to put a bank account somewhere on the website for those who would like to donate a couple of $.

Yes it is a good cause and Ive seen the affects it has on very lonely Older men, who have bottled up some issues over the years being able to get them off their chests. There’s definitely no shame in seeing an Older man cry, then over a few weeks see the life come back into this person. That’s why I enjoy it so much, were supporting the Older Men within the community.

Burgo
    Participant
    Up

I have had an email from some committee members of omni-nsw and they are happy to release the bank details should any one wish to support us, just PM me and I’ll gladly let you have them.

I have also asked that we have a supporters page where we can acknowledge people and business who help us.

We have actually got some of these Older guys want to do more to get more branches up and running, all we need is for someone in an area where there are Older men to say we need a group here. Start with one or two then build to 15 then set up another group.

I’m also hoping you fellow soloists can spread the word to your older friends over 55 who may be interested in becoming involved with OMNi.

Committees and Older men take ages to get things going so action will be slow if I leave it to the committee.

Having been a soloist for almost 30 years waiting for others to get motivated is very frustrated, that’s why I became a soloist in the first place so decisions and action can be instantaneous.

I will also be looking into grants but looking at the economic climate we are coming into I may have Buckley’s in getting any, but will try anyhow.

I have also discovered the financial support that the Older Mens New Idea has in fact gone to the Men’s Shed.
    Fortunately OMNi is different and although the agenda may be similar we don’t build anything material but deal with the mind, self- esteem, spiritualty and hope to build confidence in those that have lost it.

Tough call but a challenge makes all the difference.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.