Home – New Forums Starting your journey Reactivating ABN cancelled by registrar

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jiko
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

I’m not sure if this is the right place for this query, sorry if i’ve posted in the wrong area.

I applied for an ABN as a sole trader three and a bit years ago in order to do some freelance web design work that had been offered to me. The work eventually fell through, and long story short, I forgot to deactivate my ABN.

At the end of last year I recieved a letter informing me that my ABN was cancelled by the registrar, as the tax office suspected (correctly) that I wasn’t carrying out a business.

I spoke to a lady at the tax office about reactivation, and she told me I’d need to write a letter and provide as many pieces of evidence as possible that I intend on carrying out a business if my ABN is reactivated.
    What I’m wanting to know, is if anyone else has had the same issue, and what kinds of evidence they provided to the tax office.

I was thinking I’d provide them with a business name registration, a web domain registration (with website designed), information I’d obtained from a wholesaler I’ve spoken to and information showing I’ve been accepted as a trader at an upcoming convention.
    Would this be sufficient evidence? or are they looking for more?

Thanks guys :)
    Oh, and I’m located in WA if that makes a difference at all.

Shade
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    ::

It doesn’t matter where you are located. As long as you are in Australian territory, it’s the same rules.

There is a particular process for those whose ABN has been deactivated by the Registrar (as opposed to reactivating it yourself) which you will find here

Only the ATO can give you directions as to what you must provide as each person/entity is treated on a case by case basis.

Good luck.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.