Home – New Forums Tech talk Reading emails and messages fully.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brent@Ontrax
    • Total posts: 336
    Up
    ::

In a world where we rely so heavily on Electronic Communications, like emails, I find that more and more people don’t completely read what you actually send. Am I the only one experiencing this dilemma or should I call it an epidemic?

I recently sent an email to someone, that didn’t want to pay for onsite or remote windows assistance, with a detailed numbered list of instructions on what to do to try to resolve the issue. Did the client read the email completely? ….NO…. now they have successfully KILLED the machine because they chose to skip a few steps here and there and also try another solution they read from Dr Google (PhD) without completing my list first…. After a few emails where the client is trying to get me to claim responsibility, and I refused, they have given up and said that I would no longer be their IT support person, which I don’t have a problem with. I don’t need a client like that. I even had a call from another client, which referred them to me, and they apologised for their friends’ stupidity and said they would sort him out and get him to send me payment for my efforts.

Brent

Anesthan
    • Total posts: 28
    Up

Hi

Brent these situations seem to be more frequent these days and you are not alone. I think you have to tell people that if you help them out and they pay for your services then you are responsible. I use to email people instructions but now I either do the job for free or I charge them depending on if they are new or old customers. I feel the frustration. Hang in there Brent.

Thanks
    Anesthan

AGMBris
    • Total posts: 319
    Up

Ah wow – yes Google Uni is giving us enough information to be dangerous to ourselves.

And taking responsibility for our actions appears to be a difficult thing sometimes when we can point the finger first!

Handled well I think, well done.

Blake M
    • Total posts: 29
    Up

I used to work as a Journalist where you write in a “reverse pyramid” style (eg the most important information at the top and work your way down to the least important). Personally, I find this is the best way to write business e-mails as well – recipients will just skim over the first few paragraphs and drop off (at least with news writing, you’re lucky if most people get past the first paragraph).

I don’t think it’s an epidemic – more like the new norm. You’ve just got to assume your e-mails are going to be skimmed and make sure you touch your main points as quickly as possible.

michnichols
    • Total posts: 236
    Up

Sometimes it pays someone else to something, especially if you don’t have the expertise to do.

I don’t think it’s an epidemic – more like the new norm. You’ve just got to assume your e-mails are going to be skimmed and make sure you touch your main points as quickly as possible.

We can get into the habit of skimming things, not reading properly, missing steps or misunderstanding.

Sounds like you handled it well.

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up

Sorry to say, but I don’t think it’s anything new. When I started my career in the early 90s we had the same problem.

It comes under the heading of “a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing”.

exstatic
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

Not new at all – I even find myself doing it in this forum!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.