Home – New Forums Face-to-face meetups & events Ready, Set, Network!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Premier Audio Visual
    • Total posts: 14
    Up
    ::

Fantastic!!

I will try these links, and think of some things to talk about when I join some events.

Cheers!

Jane Ahern
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

For those of you looking for guidance on how to get the most out of networking from both a personal and business perspective AND enjoy it:

I attended a networking course this week run by Lisa Butler of Paragon Associates (Paragon Associates) which was excellent – very useful AND entertaining. Great way to learn all about networking and at the same time, practice networking skills. Lisa has also written a book “Networking Exposed” (see Networking Exposed for details).

Happy networking!
    Jane

MissieK
    • Total posts: 234
    davebirchall
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Great Thread!

It echos my experience of intensive networking over the last 12 months. I have certainly been to those events where you collect cardboard and my experience of online social networking has been greatly rewarded…. if my goal was to be pestered by recruiters from eastern Europe.

To my mind, quality networking is invaluable, but my approach is ‘less is more’
    I would much rather make a quality connection with someone and follow up and build a long term referral base than simply collect business cards.

You need to take time to get to know each other. Meet each other for coffee. Interview each other. Find out who their best customers are and how you can add value. If you can refer one lead, the will recipicate many times over.

Having discovered all this, I realised there is a time a place for online networking when used in tandem with coffee meetings and networking socials.

I created http://www.sydneynetworkers.net to allow people to network on and offline. I am hoping that a few of you will give it a go (its free). After all, your success is my success. There is also a networking event calendar where any organiser’s can post events and report back with photos.

Lisa Murray – Biz Coach
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

Interestingly, I love the concept of speed networking – you have a couple of minutes to find out if you need to get to know someone further! (And you get to meet lots of people in a short timeframe…)

My goal in attending a networking event is to identify people who I’d like to build a business relationship with – I usually followup with a coffee meet-up or a telephone conversation at the very least.

This strategy seems to work pretty well and I’ve had some great follow-up conversations with interesting people as a result!

Sonja Walker
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

As a relative newcomer to networking, I have to say that I just love the professional development and insight that well chosen events offer to me as a new business owner.

I have joined the Working Women’s Network in Sydney’s North and can honestly say it’s been one of the best things I have done all year – not just for my business, but also for myself.

It is great to meet other motivated women who, like me, juggle the responsibilities of business ownership and family life.

For me, it’s not about distributing as many business cards as I can. It’s about getting to know other business owners, learning from their experiences and, very occasionally, being able to share mine in the hope that they might help someone else.

I have met some great people, developed really advantageous working relationships and made some lasting friendships.

It takes time, and it doesn’t always feel completely comfortable, but for me, the effort I make to go along and gain something positive out of every networking evening I attend is absolutely worth it!

Ric Willmot
    • Total posts: 141
    Up

I have written about networking on my blog.
    You may be interested to take a peak …

Read this post first: http://www.ricwillmot.com/executive_wisdom/2008/03/nonsense-networ.html

Then read this post next: http://www.ricwillmot.com/executive_wisdom/2008/03/again-with-the.html

Enjoy!
    Rgds,
    Ric

Steven Hudson
    • Total posts: 122
    Up

I am with Lisa nothing wrong with speed networking, As Lisa said gives you the opportunity to meet more people in less time. Also gives you the opportunity to practice your one minute elevator pitch.

Only one rule: It must be advertised or known that a speed networking opportunity will exist at the function.

SteveDavidson
    • Total posts: 80
    Up
    JohBD, post: 144 wrote:
    There is nothing worse than feeling like you have to force your card on someone.

Mmm. Maybe do a sort of reversal, along the lines of “What do you do, do you have a card I could grab, hey I’ll give you one of mine, I’m in XYZ business, etc etc”. Turn it into a two-way information exchange, sort of thing.

As a bonus, you now also have the names and numbers of people who have your card, if you want to follow up later. Not to mention having a bunch of contacts for assorted industries and services you or a colleague might find yourself in need of later down the track.

Sheree
    • Total posts: 33
    Up
    MissieK, post: 102 wrote:
    I don’t like that either. I refuse to take the cards of people I haven’t connected with. At one event, a man was sitting next to me and a colleague and didn’t say two words to us. When he stood up and left he handed his card to us. We left it on the table, instead leaving with 2 very good contacts that have proved extremely beneficial to all of us.

Melissa

I agree,developing relationships and connections is so important.
    I always think of how I can offer/add value and interest to the coversations. I have always wanted to ask the other person questions to find out more about the person I am meeting. This is really key to developing rapport.

Sheree Montgomerie

Paul Cunningham
    • Total posts: 69
    Up
    jonbergan, post: 161 wrote:
    I have been to a few networking events where they are basically focused around a “Speed Networking” theme which is obviously a take on speed dating. Although this seems like a great idea, I actually believe it goes against everything business networking is about.

Networking in business is about building strong long lasting relationships. Networking events allow us to meet people we could potentially have such a relationship with by allowing us to get to know that person (at least a little bit!). So, how can we achieve this if all we do is slap a card in eachothers hand and move along? I often get home from those types of events and wonder who I met and that alone can get a little worrying when I have to start sending followup emails and phone calls.

“Speed Networking” is definitely not for me and I would imagine it isn’t for most soloists.

Rgds,
    JB

Speed Networking is a contradiction in terms? – Discuss

Mark@Unique
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

Hi All,

3 years ago I started my business on the Central Coast knowing nobody.

Prior to starting the business I was a General Manager for a Sydney based company and therefore traveled to Sydney everyday for 7 years and in real terms, just bought groceries and went out with the family on weekends on the Coast.

When I started my business I was fortunate enough to meet a key businessman who invited me to the Wyong Regional Chamber of Commerce and being a key networker he introduced me to everyone he could. When I first went I was as nervous as hell…I’m quite happy to sit in the corner and not talk to anyone.

3 years on and I would now know approximately 100 business owners in the Chamber (25 of those would be clients), all our local Councilors, the Mayor, our Federal MP’s etc. I’m now the Vice President of the Toukley Chamber, President Elect 2011/2012 of the local Rotary etc, etc. My wife and I have the opportunity to attend a function most nights (although we don’t) and we can’t go down the street without meeting a fellow business owner or client. And I believe this is the best part of networking…we are now part of the community…not just an unknown business owner.

I sometimes go to events whereby the practice is to pass around your business cards, I personally don’t and I don’t collect anybody else’s. I like others here, like to actually meet and get to know those that I receive a business card from…and I’m fussy about who gets my card…I believe that some will collect my card just to bombard me with emails the next day.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.