Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Really really new at this

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    G4K
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone

I have been a member of this forum for a few weeks now and thought it was time that I introduce myself. I am a primary school teacher but have taken time off to have my beautiful daughter who is now 7 months old.

I have always dreamed of owning my own business but never really had the time to explore the possibilities until now. I have identified a particular need in the retail market related to children and their health and education and currently looking into the possibility of setting up an online store to cater for this. I feel really passionate about the area I am focusing on and have quite a lot of experience in it from a teacher’s perspective.

However (and it’s a big however lol), I don’t have any business experience so I feel like a fish out of water a bit. I have got my hands on a copy of The Penguin Small Business Guide and Starting a Small Business for Dummies which have given me a good starting point. I’ve also trawled through a lot of the government websites related to starting a small business. If anyone happens to know of any resources that are particularly good for starting up an online retail business I’d love to know about them…

In terms of actual work on the business I’ve secured an ABN, registered a domain name and almost finished my business plan (I just need to work out the financial aspects).

So as you can see I’m still very much a beginner at all of this but I’m more than eager and very passionate about seeing what I can do with my idea.

I look forward getting to know other members of this community, learning from you, and hopefully one day being able to contribute my own advice.

Caz

kbrookes
    • Total posts: 265
    Up

Have you thought about doing the NEIS programme?

That’s how my wife and I got our start. It was an invaluable resource for us, giving us both the training and a small amount of funding to get started.

Sounds like you’ve got your feet planted solidly on the ground though! Not many new businesses have the discipline to do a business plan without it being part of a training programme. Good on you!

G4K
    Up

Thanks Kelsey
    I’ve had a brief look at NEIS and I think it looks like a great scheme. Attending an information session about it is on my to-list and now that I’ve just landed some childcare for my daughter I will be able to go along.
    It’s good to hear that you thought it was useful.

yourvirtualboard
    • Total posts: 569
    Up

Hi G4K,

I have dealt with so many businesses that have started with an idea or skill set but no business experience or training. That really isn’t as much of a limiter as you might think. As already suggested there are a number of free resources to help in this regard and some excellent programs at very reasonable cost. I mentor on the Women in Business Program run by NSW Industry and Investment (used to be DSRD) and this is a program that teaches the whole gambit of business and then partners you with a mentor. There are a few similar programs in the others states too if you’re not in NSW. Once up and running there are always options available for support and advice and there will be one that fits you and your business as well.

You sound like you’ve done some research and also have a plan, that’s already way ahead of some now successful people that didn’t start that way. In the end it’s focus, persistence and follow through (passion for what you’re doing) that will see you through and all that’s required is taking that first step.

G4K
    Up

Hi Harry
    Thanks for your comments. Your mentoring skills sound very interesting. Can you recommend something similar in Victoria?
    Caz

yourvirtualboard
    • Total posts: 569
    Up
    G4K, post: 43340 wrote:
    Hi Harry
    Thanks for your comments. Your mentoring skills sound very interesting. Can you recommend something similar in Victoria?
    Caz

Hi Caz,

Try http://www.business.vic.gov.au/homepage there you’ll find most of what you’re looking for under the “starting and manageing a business”

Also check http://www.sbms.org.au/Default.aspx

If you’d like recomendations I am an accredited associate of the Institute for Independent business http://www.iib.org.ws and through our network know a fair few advisors in Melbourne.

Remember there’s always heaps of helpful people on here as well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.