Home Forums Marketing mastery Reasonable Quote for Digital Marketing?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    TypingDog
    • Total posts: 4

Hi,

I’m new to this forum, so if this is in the wrong place just shoot me a DM and I’ll delete the post.

I run a small legal practice, and have been looking to expand the business. I manage marketing myself, I’ve done basic SEO (rank 3 on GMB, rank top 3 for top keywords on search) and tried GA, FB and LinkedIn Ads in the past (paid a consultant to do it).

I’m now hunting for a digital marketing agency to streamline my marketing, and substantially increase leads generated. I’ve been quoted $18000/year to double my traffic (currently at ~50/monthly unique visitors). Is this a reasonable price?

Kind regards,
    TypingDog.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    TypingDog, post: 268623, member: 117082 wrote:
    I’m now hunting for a digital marketing agency to streamline my marketing, and substantially increase leads generated. I’ve been quoted $18000/year to double my traffic (currently at ~50/monthly unique visitors). Is this a reasonable price?

Kind regards,
    TypingDog.

Who gave you that metric to focus on, because in reallity it is a useless metric. Sure double, triple, or even quadruple your traffic, I could do that for half the amount quoted (but it would be a waste), but it wont necessarily give you any more dollars in your pocket. You need conversions, maybe the 50 you get at the moment are sufficient if you could convert them. It’s like likes on Facebook they are a dime a dozen, but you need traffic that converts.

Go back to them and ask what they are really offering not some pointless metric.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691

Apart from agreeing with Bert, it sounds like a lot of money could go down the toilet if you get it wrong.

I don’t know your business model, but if your not an online business, I would have thought you’re looking for business in a fixed location or area.

imo, SEO is a crap way to advertise (apart from a decent website structure and content). It’s too slow, open ended and time consuming.

If digital advertising is what you want, I reckon you’ll get a better bang for your dollar with an Adwords professional.

Also, for that sort of money, someone could knock on quite a few doors and do face to face with well qualified prospects.

TypingDog
    bb1, post: 268624, member: 53375 wrote:
    Who gave you that metric to focus on, because in reallity it is a useless metric. Sure double, triple, or even quadruple your traffic, I could do that for half the amount quoted (but it would be a waste), but it wont necessarily give you any more dollars in your pocket. You need conversions, maybe the 50 you get at the moment are sufficient if you could convert them. It’s like likes on Facebook they are a dime a dozen, but you need traffic that converts.

Go back to them and ask what they are really offering not some pointless metric.

The agency gave me that metric. They said not all conversions could not be tracked accurately (inquiries are tracked in GA, but calls to the business aren’t), and that they would use traffic as a proxy.

If I gave you access to GA and all of our call leads (we record that manually), could you give me a quote?

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    TypingDog, post: 268629, member: 117082 wrote:
    If I gave you access to GA and all of our call leads (we record that manually), could you give me a quote?

LOL, that was a tongue in cheek comment, I don’t do that kind of stuff, but anyone who says they will double your traffic as a key metric shouldnt be doing it either. Because they can dodgy it just as well as I can to increase your traffic.

Find an agency that will give you some real measurable tangible metrics or a 100% money back guarantee. PS you wont find one sadly

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691

I have family that have just spent $1000 per month for about 6 months with a digital marketing agency…they treated it as an expensive experiment in growth.

Their business is pretty solid, they design and manufacture and sell part online retail, and part conventional retail/wholesale.

I got involved because the agency wanted to make some changes to their website (and I was a lot cheaper than them, no charge wins every time).

Their traffic increased as promised but nowhere near enough additional conversions to warrant the cost.

A hell of a lot of it was just “noise” to make themselves look they were working their butts off. Including continual requests to alter the website interface…weird stuff like altering image sizes by a couple of pixels.

We came to the conclusion they were just swinging in the dark like everyone else.

The upside was the business owners now just copy a few of their techniques themselves.

Dave – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 2,541

[USER=117082]@TypingDog[/USER] fifty visitors per month is a small amount of traffic and I would expect an SEO professional to be able to double that reasonably quickly and cheaply. If that was your only goal.

I would give [USER=39536]@John Romaine[/USER] a call. He hasn’t been on the forums for a while, so you’ll have to find him at https://www.seopoint.com.au/

He’ll give you direct/blunt advice that you won’t get from an agency.

Dave

TypingDog
    Dave – FS Concierge, post: 268636, member: 49676 wrote:
    [USER=117082]@TypingDog[/USER] fifty visitors per month is a small amount of traffic and I would expect an SEO professional to be able to double that reasonably quickly and cheaply. If that was your only goal.

I would give [USER=39536]@John Romaine[/USER] a call. He hasn’t been on the forums for a while, so you’ll have to find him at https://www.seopoint.com.au/

He’ll give you direct/blunt advice that you won’t get from an agency.

Dave

Thanks, will be in touch!

three brains
    • Total posts: 18

Agree, total visits, not a great metric. While digital marketing agencies generally have specific ‘technical’ skills, they’re not always so hot on the ‘business’ side. Like sales, costs and profits.

Not a lawyer, but assume business works on hourly charges, and so you might want to set a target for them based on additional hours generated. A logical story (made some assumptions about rates and costs, you could change all the underlined numbers with actuals)

Something like this :-

1. Legal hourly rate you charge = $300
    2. 20% company ‘profit’ per hour charged = $60 per hour
    3. To cover $18,000 spend, need to generate 300 hours of business (300 x 60)
    4. ‘Average’ new client = 10 hours work, therefore need 30 new clients

The agency might well argue there are other factors not in their control that influence new client generation (fair) but they are also taking your money so should have some commitment to growing your business too.

Good luck

TypingDog
    three brains, post: 268663, member: 116608 wrote:
    Agree, total visits, not a great metric. While digital marketing agencies generally have specific ‘technical’ skills, they’re not always so hot on the ‘business’ side. Like sales, costs and profits.

Not a lawyer, but assume business works on hourly charges, and so you might want to set a target for them based on additional hours generated. A logical story (made some assumptions about rates and costs, you could change all the underlined numbers with actuals)

Something like this :-

1. Legal hourly rate you charge = $300
    2. 20% company ‘profit’ per hour charged = $60 per hour
    3. To cover $18,000 spend, need to generate 300 hours of business (300 x 60)
    4. ‘Average’ new client = 10 hours work, therefore need 30 new clients

The agency might well argue there are other factors not in their control that influence new client generation (fair) but they are also taking your money so should have some commitment to growing your business too.

Good luck
    Wow, thank you for taking the time to write that up.

I’ll do just that, thanks for giving me a starting point.

three brains
    TypingDog, post: 268669, member: 117082 wrote:

No worries, happy to help.

AlexandraZZ
    • Total posts: 1
    TypingDog, post: 268669, member: 117082 wrote:

I like the approach of going back to where is your break even point. I would suggest you sit down and write down first where do you want to get and what do you want to achieve and work backwards from it. From there you should seek help of a marketing consultant with a marketing strategy. Remember that agencies sell whatever services that make profit for them as opposed to whatever will work for you. $18k pa retainer can be a lot of money for SEO or could be peanuts. You haven’t mentioned which area you want to rank in and for which keywords. If you are trying to rank for keywords like ‘lawyer Melbourne’ then keep the $18k it won’t work. If you are trying to rank for ‘lawyer ‘specific area of law’ in ‘specific suburb’ then a third of what you are looking to spend will get you there.
    One of the replies mentioned to look into AdWords. With AdWords it’s a two sided coin – it can work really well or it can be a very expensive and not worth it exercise.

The way I would approach your situation is make a plan:

Let’s say your current annual revenue is $200k and you want to take it to $300k within 12 months. What you have to look at:
    – what cost of acquisition are you ready to bear? As in is this exercise going to have to generate profit for you? Or are you looking at it as an investment into your future growth?
    – what is your average client life? How many hours would you tend to bill them per month/annum/lifetime?
    – what is your most profitable or lucrative service/-s? If you know your cash cow is commercial litigation and your SEO company will rank you for ‘lawyer’ you will be inundated with irrelevant enquiries from people wanting a deed drafted.
    – what is your current cost per enquiry and what is your desired cost per enquiry? What is your current cost of acquisition?

This just goes to say that ‘we will double your traffic for $18k’ is not an approach a business owner should buy into…

PowerofWords
    • Total posts: 179

TypingDog wants a digital marketing strategy, not just SEO, which he cleverly worked out mainly for himself.

What one gets when one looks for digital marketing help is all focussed on Acquisition… just one facet. LOTS of money spent on lead generation and NOTHING spent on engagement and retention.

His business would do best with the customer acquisition life-cycle strategy of:
    acquire – engage/activation – retention – referral (brand ambassadors)

A simple article explaining it is at: https://www.searchenginepeople.com/blog/16095-customer-acquisition.html

I have written educational blogs every fortnight for 6 years, and that’s part of my acquire strategy, emails and social media answers are engagement, and I also ensure clients are treated like royalty and mention new offers or services, which is for retention and referral. If you have a receptionist or similar, they could become your client loyalty officer.

My mind always goes to return on investment and client lifetime value, and so should yours.

three brains

Just adding an afterthought on the original topic of choosing an agency, it’s also worth checking who will be working on your account – what level of experience and does their working style suit yours?

Had experience with agencies where the initial team you meet turn out to only focus on winning new business and you end up with someone completely different for day to day operations. You’ll want to make sure the expertise and ‘chemistry’ is good too.

Wozza
    • Total posts: 16

Hi [USER=117082]@TypingDog[/USER]

Having worked in this game for a long term I would be very cautious of anyone that makes you guarantees about rankings or doubling your traffic etc. Things can change overnight in the SEO game and so can your business.

I would ask them to outline exactly what they plan to do regarding your SEO, having been doing it yourself up until now you will probably have a fair idea of what works / needs to be done, if not I’d be happy to cast an eye over it and tell you if its good value or not.

Unfortunately there are too many charlatans in the industry that brings everyone’s reputation down.

Also phone calls from your website can be tracked so for them to say they can’t would be the first alarm bell for me. It does take a little bit of playing around with Google Tag Manager but it can be done.

While someone suggested Adwords as a quick win be careful as if your landing does not match the ad copy & keywords then you will have a low-quality score in Adwords and you will end up paying more per click. eg running an ad for Family Law and you send them to your homepage rather than a family law page on your site will result in a lower quality score as its a bad user journey. Sorry if you know all this already….

Cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.