Home – New Forums Tech talk recent SEO Horror story ….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    pauls
    • Total posts: 120
    Up
    ::

Hey BB1,

bb1, post: 197449 wrote:
    An easy solution for any SEO business who guarantee’s or suggest that they can give you a page 1 ranking, is you set the terms and conditions (yes reverse it), and you only pay on results. That will quickly weed out the people who say more than they deliver.

The dilemma you have here is that there is so much more to SEO than ranking.
    exposure => engagement => conversion

In addition you need to be ranking for the right phrases.
    Many page 1 positions are merely bragging rights and bring little to no results.

Your content then needs to engage and drive an outcome and so on..

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Pauls,

totally agree, trouble is most business’s just want number 1.

I have commented on a number of threads where people are on page 1, but still not getting sales. the first thing I look at is the pricing, lack of stock, or someother non page ranking issue, and you straight away know why they dont get sales. It is the big picture, the problem is the SEO business’s focus on page 1 ranking, and the business owners who they pitch to don’t really know that it is not the be all and end all.

bb1
    Participant
    Up

Intesting, I ust did a google search on my website, and it came up on page 1. I put mine together 3 or so years ago, have not changed it, no blog, no expertise, definitely no SEO, none of everything the SEO guru’s talk about.

Hey maybe I can market myself as an SEO guru.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    bb1, post: 197454 wrote:
    Intesting, I ust did a google search on my website, and it came up on page 1. I put mine together 3 or so years ago, have not changed it, no blog, no expertise, definitely no SEO, none of everything the SEO guru’s talk about.

Hey maybe I can market myself as an SEO guru.
    Hi BB1,
    Everyone’s website will rank #1 in Google to some search phrase. That has nothing to do with SEO.

SEO is about ensuring that people who are looking for the types of products or services you provide can find your information in the search engines. But that is only half the story…

Paul S made some excellent points about targeting the audience, info relevance and conversion. If potential customers find your info but don’t act on it, your website is a waste of time.

On top of that, important SE info delivery issues you ignore include:

• An SEO should be targeting hundreds or thousands of search phrases not ONE or a handful. Start thinking about, who, what, where, when, why, how your indiviudual product’s or service’s info may be sought and you can see how quickly the individual search phrases you need to target can explode.
    • An SEO should be trying to ensure a client’s site scores multiple rankings on the first pages of Google results.

To add to your performance payment criteria, would you be prepared to pay 150 times the agreed price if the SEO got you the top 15 pages listed in a Google search for a specific term? There are SEOs around here who could own your house if you agreed to this sort of performance metric! (Nah, they’re too honourable, I hope.)

These sorts of results can be attained in some search markets but the payment maths is irrelevant because no one can calculate the value of the ranking to any specific search phrase in Google.

Can I humbly suggest you keep your day job instead of setting up as an SEO consultant? :D
    Regs,
    JohnW

bb1
    Participant
    Up

Hey JohnW,

Dont worry I am not giving up my day job, I prefer to deliver results rather than smoke and mirrors.

Interesting I just tried 20 different search terms and got page 1 or 2 on all of them, and they were what I expect most of my clients to use. But hey I know my website is not the greatest and don’t rely on it for business, in fact I find most people who I get from there I dont want anyhow. So they get high quotes.

I love your comments, you are one of the few people who bring rational comments to the SEO debates which persist on here, and I am actually in full agreement with you, I think I am just trying to put a more laymans perspective to the whole debate, as my comments above re pricing, etc all reflect. Number 1 ranking is useless if your offering just doesnt cut the mustard.

And most people who I see on here complaining about their SEO, are really complaining about conversion rather than visits, and the conversion is often (not always), outside the SEO guru’s field as they have someone else doing pricing, content, etc.

Bert

PS. I am off to look after someonesgarden, no day job changes here (yet, I may go hone those SEO skills, lol)

bb1
    Participant
    Up

But I do also agree there are a lot of shonky operators out there, and I would say they are the ones who ring you mid way thru a job, saying G’day mate, i have just looked at your website and can promise you page 1 ranking, they are the ones that get offered to be sold goats (just in case you are wondeing I dont have any for sale, but they dont know that)

pauls
    • Total posts: 120
    Up

There’s definitely no shortage of stories and characters in this game.
    I love the unwelcomed SEO spam emails that then follow you up again and again referring to previous emails :-)

Lucid Web Design
    • Total posts: 31
    Up
    pauls, post: 197470 wrote:
    There’s definitely no shortage of stories and characters in this game.
    I love the unwelcomed SEO spam emails that then follow you up again and again referring to previous emails :-)

Nobody is immune. Even Google gets unsolicited advice on how to improve their SEO.

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/seo-email/

cheers
    Derek

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.