Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Recently updated my website- can you please check it out?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Etched Cards
    • Total posts: 21
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

I recently did some updates on my website http://www.etchedcards.com.au/ . I changed few technical and visual things and I would like you to give me some feedback about:
    Logo, Functionality, Design, Flaws and what catches your eye.

Also I would like you to test my ordering/customization system and give review as-well. Here is 10 x 100% (free) coupons for stainless steel greeting cards (please only 1 use per person/ip address) :
    Coupon: australia100

If possible I would also like some feedback when you actually receive that greeting card aswell.

1. What needs reviewing? Website functionality, design, flaws, products, logo.
    2. What does your business do? Personalized engraved metal business cards, greeting cards, invitation cards.
    3. Who is your target market? Business people (business cards), average australian (greeting cards).
    4. What specific concerns do you have? Hard to understand webpage, unattractive looks, not catchy.

Thank you very much.

Etched Cards
    Up

Anyone?

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up
    Hi – I think you need to state very early on the home page ‘what this product can do for you’. The logo image icons are too big and take over the home page. It wasn’t until I went to the other pages and saw the actual colour version photos that I understood what you were selling.

So, you need to clarify and explain what this product will do for the customer.

I was listening to a webinar earlier this week in which Paul McCarthy was emphasing the 27 seconds we have to get the customer’s attention including how important it was to have little videos on the home page as well. Don’t make it an automatically played video, but have it there ready for the customer to play. Video yourself making one in fast motion perhaps?

It is true – a picture tells a thousand words.
    Just rethink from what the customer would be looking for so that you can edit your intro paragraph copy to suit.

PS the menu items do not fit on one line. The Member’s Checkout is white lettering over the background not the menu in Firefox/Mac.

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up
    Etched Cards, post: 161845 wrote:
    I recently did some updates on my website

Why are you doing this?

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    John Romaine, post: 161971 wrote:
    Why are you doing this?Is that it? Or are you going to give him a review?
    Etched Cards
    Up
    John Romaine, post: 161971 wrote:
    Why are you doing this?

Because I have passion for learning, solving problems and creating something by myself. I still have A LOT of things to learn and this is why I am asking for constructive criticism so the next time I can do it better.

John Romaine
    Participant
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 161973 wrote:
    Is that it? Or are you going to give him a review?

Ok sure.

1. It should be immediately obvious what your business offers. You tell us in your OP, but why not on your website? (oh i found it eventually buried in a big chunk of text)

2. Where is your phone number? This should be present site wide.

3. There is too much wasted real estate at the top of the page. You have a header, then a useless image, then another sub menu, then sliding graphics. This needs to be consolidated

4. There is too much text on the home page.

5. There is no call to action. ANYWHERE.

6. The site does not have search engine friendly urls

7. Google analytics is not running site wide, therefor its obvious many pages are not being tracked.

8. Your email address is wide open on this page https://etchedcards.3dcartstores.com/crm.asp?action=contactus You are only inviting your inbox to be spammed to death.

9. The site lacks content

10. The design looks tired and dated. Infact many of the form elements are misaligned.

11. The site is not cross browser compatible

12. The card creation forms allow me to bypass certain setting when i disable javascript

13. This page http://etchedcards.com.au/Business-Cards_c_14.html scrolls right off the edge of screen (Firefox)

14. The site is not optimized. THis is obvious when viewing it within Google site:http://etchedcards.com.au/ Most of the title tags and description tags are meaningless

15. Image names are meaningless (img_2481a.jpg) etc

That’s off the top of my head.

I was trying to make a point, and that is, that its immediately evident that the person doing this has no idea what they’re doing, and that they probably shouldn’t be doing it.

Its much like me installing my own electrical work and lighting at home, then calling out a qualified electrician and asking ..”So, what do you think?”

Etched Cards
    Up

A lot of people seems to agree that homepage doesnt really give and idea what my business does. What should be done differently? Should I add some more pictures? I thought that the sliding banner would give enough idea but seems that I was wrong.

John Romaine
    Participant
    Up

There are probably a number of things you can do, but the most obvious would be to do something like this.

logo.gif

Of course this is very rough, and with the colours you’re using it makes it look messy, but you get my point.

Etched Cards
    Up

Oh ok I got it. You mean like a slogan. Also you mentioned that on the homepage there is too much text. How much text is too much and how much is “sufficient”?

Thanks

John Romaine
    Participant
    Up

Think about your objective.

What do you want visitors to do?

You need to answer that question first, then make changes to your site inline with that.

Anything that distracts from that, should be removed.

Have a look at Crazy Egg. Its heat map tracking software.

Make changes to your site based upon factual data, not assumptions.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.