Home – New Forums Starting your journey recommendation for Domain registration & hosting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    chuckles1970
    • Total posts: 12
    Up
    ::

Hello everyone

What company would you recommend to create a domain name & hosting website

Thanks
    Erica

Chris – Marketing
    • Total posts: 162
    kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

I have domain registration and hosting available at http://www.acs-webhosting.com. I set up my own service several years ago after having problems with a previous host being hacked by a disgruntled staff member. This way I have more control. I started it for myself but now have several clients whose sites I host, some of which I’ve set up for them too.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

I use Crazy domains for domain registration, but their hosting is not flash.

Whatever hosting you choose, make sure their support is awesome. The last thing you want is a website that is down and they are uncontactable for a week.

I can’t recommend hosting because I have my own server.

Good luck!

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

I’d agree with Matthew re C Domains.

Don’t know if you realise but your domain registration and where you choose to host don’t have to be with the same provider.

If your getting someone to build your site they should have the ability to sort this out for you.

Better hosting providers should have information available on how to import your domain name.

There’s plenty of posts here if you search around on good value hosting providers and be aware that many hosting offers are reseller packages, doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with them, just ensure the actual source provider meets your needs.

Netorigin
    • Total posts: 421
    Up
    chuckles1970, post: 129938 wrote:
    Hello everyone

What company would you recommend to create a domain name & hosting website

Thanks
    Erica

Hi Erica,

When you’re searching around for business grade web hosting I’d highly recommend looking for a host that offers a SLA which should include the level of customer support, uptime guaranteed, maintenance and etc.

Cheers,

Shaun

OneArmedGraphics
    • Total posts: 314
    Up

My needs are fairly simple and I’ve used the below since 2010 with 100% satisfaction for approx a dozen sites.

domains http://www.namecheap.com/
    Hosting http://www.ventraipeconomy.com.au

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

My technique for choosing a host some years back was to phone the technical support of the host to ask them how I go about changing to them.

This did 2 things: a) can you talk to the tech support quickly b) can they explain it to you in a way you can understand.

The sales line will always get answered but its the support line you need to know that you can get someone.

The Hobbit
    Participant
    • Total posts: 309
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 129968 wrote:
    I use Crazy domains for domain registration, but their hosting is not flash.

Wouldn’t recommend Crazy Domains, they allowed two of my domains to lapse, even though I’d paid two months before the expiry date. Try NetRegistry they recovered those lapsed domains for me.

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

Netregistry is affordable and offers friendly service.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

The registrar is of little importance.
    You can check out a list of accredited .au registrars here.

Hosting can get a bit more technical, the requirements of your site and your business needs can determine who the best hosts would be for you.

Steve

arty101
    • Total posts: 37
    Up
    NetOrigin, post: 130160 wrote:
    Hi Erica,

When you’re searching around for business grade web hosting I’d highly recommend looking for a host that offers a SLA which should include the level of customer support, uptime guaranteed, maintenance and etc.

Cheers,

Shaun

Hi Shaun,
    Do you offer magento hosting? what hosting package would you recommend if a website has more than 2000 products but not much traffic?

Adam Stanecki
    • Total posts: 131
    Up

Bluehost.

Best and most affordable I’ve found.

chuckles1970
    • Total posts: 12
    Up
    estim8, post: 129971 wrote:
    I’d agree with Matthew re C Domains.

Don’t know if you realise but your domain registration and where you choose to host don’t have to be with the same provider.

If your getting someone to build your site they should have the ability to sort this out for you.

Better hosting providers should have information available on how to import your domain name.

There’s plenty of posts here if you search around on good value hosting providers and be aware that many hosting offers are reseller packages, doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with them, just ensure the actual source provider meets your needs.

Thanks for the info.

I went onto domain and its asking me to add on all these things. It is asking me to add an extra $7 bucks for privacy/against spammers etc? Is this really necessary or are they doing the ole upsell?

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    chuckles1970, post: 130888 wrote:
    Thanks for the info.

I went onto domain and its asking me to add on all these things. It is asking me to add an extra $7 bucks for privacy/against spammers etc? Is this really necessary or are they doing the ole upsell?

There’s always an upsell.

Depends what you want, I have a mix on the few domains I have, for ones where the info is publicly available there’s not a lot of point, might slow spammers down but I’ve never had a problem caused by domain details.

I set up one for an associate who works in property and custody settlements, they’re not hiding but domain privacy seems sensible in their case.

Nice to have a choice, unlike .au, takes a US court order to release the domain privacy if you have it.

$7.00 isn’t a lot if you have the need to keep it private.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.