Home – New Forums Starting your journey recommendation for Domain registration & hosting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    zhenjie
    • Total posts: 78
    Up
    ::

I recommend alot of start-ups look at VentraIP’s economy and Business hosting plans. They are really hard to beat in terms of good value, robust Australian servers and customer service. I’ve had tickets/support answered within minutes even for economy plans.

Are you looking to service mostly Australian customers? If so it is very beneficial to host in Australia where pages are served faster plus some SEO benefits (together with a .au domain).

Netorigin
    • Total posts: 421
    Up
    arty101, post: 130336 wrote:
    Hi Shaun,
    Do you offer magento hosting? what hosting package would you recommend if a website has more than 2000 products but not much traffic?

Hi arty101,

My apologies for the late reply. Our shared hosting plans do support Magento. I would most likely recommend the Shared One plan to see how you go from there. You can easily upgrade to another plan later on without any disruptions.

Regards,

Shaun

Snakeman
    Participant
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

Somone here wrote:
    “The sales line will always get answered but its the support line you need to know that you can get someone.” – I think was on the ball.
    I hosted with a company some years back that was very cheap, but when the poo hit the fan, getting a person on the phone line for support was abyssmal!
    All the best

gazza67
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    chuckles1970, post: 129938 wrote:
    Hello everyone

What company would you recommend to create a domain name & hosting website

Thanks
    Erica

Hi Erica

Personally i have always used godaddy for any .com domains and crazydomains for any .com.au domains. Both have never given me any problems.

For hosting i would recommend hostgator. Prices are excellent, service is second to none (the online support is available 24/7 and very efficient.

There business plans also offer a free ssl certificate.

Just my thoughts gained from years of using different companies.

Word
    • Total posts: 109
    Up

These days it is less of the ‘wild west’ than it used to be.

Personally I use a few different ones to keep my options open, but I ALWAYS keep my domain name separate from my hosting service.

Godaddy is also good because you can reliably get a new .com domain for $3.

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

How do you get a .com for $3? I get it from them also but never at that price.

Pawpost
    • Total posts: 48
    Up

I got my .com.au through AussieHQ. It’s $20 for two years, or $11 if you buy it for a single year. So cheaper than most of the “discount” sites. DNS forwarding wasn’t too hard with them.

For hosting, just watch out for the SSL offers… most of the bargain sites say they have free ssl, this is a bit of a gimmick…it is free up to a certain amount of data, then it stops… also it is for everyone on the server (unless you fork out some money to get a dedicated server….) make sure to read the fine print.

But most offer a sort-of-dedicated server-like product… so for a few bucks more a year you can get better ssl protection.

Also unlimited anything is pretty much a lie. but for most of us, we won’t be streaming videos non-stop from our pages, so no problems there either.

Maybe compare sql database and email accounts and you should find a good one.

Pawpost
    Up
    kathiemt, post: 132992 wrote:
    How do you get a .com for $3? I get it from them also but never at that price.

try using a proxy when going to their site… I’ve lived in the US, Japan, and here… each time I look for the price it is different by geo location….

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up
    Pawpost, post: 133002 wrote:
    I got my .com.au through AussieHQ. It’s $20 for two years, or $11 if you buy it for a single year. So cheaper than most of the “discount” sites. DNS forwarding wasn’t too hard with them.

I didn’t think you could get an Aussie domain for less than two years. Everywhere I’ve looked it’s always been a 2 year minimum. I’ve just bought two new domains for an NFP but didn’t know how cheap AussieHQ was. Bought through another service but they didn’t cost a lot more.

Pawpost
    Up
    kathiemt, post: 133016 wrote:
    I didn’t think you could get an Aussie domain for less than two years. Everywhere I’ve looked it’s always been a 2 year minimum. I’ve just bought two new domains for an NFP but didn’t know how cheap AussieHQ was. Bought through another service but they didn’t cost a lot more.

Don’t worry too much about the difference in price. At most it’s only a couple of dollars, spread over 24 months…so if the service is good, its probably worth the pennies :)

I didn’t know that the .com.au’s where are 2 years…bit strange…. but good to know now. Thanks for that

arash
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Hi Erica,

The best one is crazydomains.com.au. We are web design company and have been using it for our customers for many years.

For hosting it depends on what you want to host and the technology you use for your website. These days you can find hosting starting $20/year to $200/year.

We also might be able to help you if it is your first website as we have a promotion for flyingsolo members http://www.tectual.com.au/flyingsolo.html.

Hello everyone

Thanks
    Erica

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

yep .au registrations are 2 year minimum

Steve

marnieb
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

Hi Erica,

My own! ;)

It’s 100% Australian, reliable, and reasonably priced. You can check out our hosting info here, and feel free to send a message or email regarding domain names.

Hello everyone

Thanks
    Erica

Barchie
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

I usually use godaddy and crazydomains as well. Price is usually the best and have never had a problem.

Hosting wise i’ve been using an Australian based company Crucial Paradigm for the last 5 or so years and have never had a problem, support has been great. Definitely worth checking out!

Phil of the Penguin
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Also wouldn’t reccomend Crazy Domains, I have my website with them and they have had a lot of trouble lately with downtime,

The only good thing about them is that they have a 24 phone help line which is very useful.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.