Home – New Forums Other discussions Referral forum

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up
    ::

I’ve been asking myself lately what is the point of the “Need a resource?” forum, as every day it seems to be more threads asking for the same kinds of skills.

So it got me thinking…

Is there a way in which those who post regularly on the forums could have their directory listing highlighted in some way or shown at the top, under the paid listings?

As an example, today there’s another post asking for a copywriter. So instead of posting, that person could go to the directory and instantly see which of the copywriters is active on the forums (as there are lots in the directory but only one or two who actively participate in the community). They could then do a search and see the posts for that particular person, which can help them make an informed decision on whether they’re a good fit for what they’re looking for.

It would also be a reward for people who regularly visit the forums and could encourage others to take part.

Just an idea and not meant as a criticism 😮

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    bridiej, post: 133960 wrote:
    As an example, today there’s another post asking for a copywriter. So instead of posting, that person could go to the directory and instantly see which of the copywriters is active on the forums (as there are lots in the directory but only one or two who actively participate in the community). They could then do a search and see the posts for that particular person, which can help them make an informed decision on whether they’re a good fit for what they’re looking for.

Hey I know who that was, it would have been handy. :)

Steve

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Such good suggestion, in that way forum users will have an easy way to look for what their searching for. It also means lesser time for searching.

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Thank you Bridie, that is indeed a great thought. We will look into what would be necessary to create such a system. I does get very tricky behind the scenes as the entire forum is standalone software and therefore doesn’t necessarily play terribly nicely with other aspects of the site build.

This is where, if we were one of those fully cashed-up networks, we’d assign a healthy budget and a dev team and work day and night to resolve.

When we’re all back on deck (we have some holidays going on at the moment) we’ll consider more closely.

Enjoy your weekend,

Robert

BrettM33
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

That’s a fabulous idea!! :D

I look through the directory sometimes but I usually have a hard time actually finding people who I know post on the forum regularly.. this would help a lot!

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

I agree, that is a good idea. Some of use have a general idea of which members are pretty active around the place but obviously the newer members don’t so think this would be a handy thing to have (if it can be done)

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

That’s a great idea.

Burgo
    • Total posts: 2,099
    Up

I have used the services of regular posters. You get to know who they are and what they do just by reading their posts and interacting with them.
    Althought the idea is a good one I think it could make us a tad lazy.
    There are members who have posted in the past and are now just lurking. I dont know if this idea would bring them back in but hopefully it would.
    There are some of the older regulars that since being on this forum have developed their business and have been successful in doing so, perhaps they have also become too busy to post but i am aware they still take a look whenever they can.

This forum has brough many business together, you have a product or service that I like,want or need so i contact you and maybe do business. That is one of the benefits of posting regularly on this forum.You are presenting you and your business to 51,000 other business. Where else in the world can you do that for FREE.

My thoughts are if you want exposure contribute but posting more than you do.Lurking does not give your business any exposure, so how do you expect to succeed. Remember there are 51,000 business who use this forum on a regular basis, but WHERE ARE YOU !!!

travelmaster
    • Total posts: 200
    Up
    Burgo, post: 134178 wrote:
    I have used the services of regular posters. You get to know who they are and what they do just by reading their posts and interacting with them.
    There are members who have posted in the past and are now just lurking. I dont know if this idea would bring them back in but hopefully it would.
    There are some of the older regulars that since being on this forum have developed their business and have been successful in doing so, perhaps they have also become too busy to post but i am aware they still take a look whenever they can.

This forum has brough many business together, you have a product or service that I like,want or need so i contact you and maybe do business. That is one of the benefits of posting regularly on this forum.You are presenting you and your business to 51,000 other business. Where else in the world can you do that for FREE.

My thoughts are if you want exposure contribute but posting more than you do.Lurking does not give your business any exposure, so how do you expect to succeed. Remember there are 51,000 business who use this forum on a regular basis, but WHERE ARE YOU !!!

Hi Burgo, It’s a Public Holiday in NSW and here we are, on FS when we should be sleeping in. What’s going on.
    Anyway, FS has become a “sounding board” for many of my lingerring questions for the last few years and it’s so good to hear other’s opinions and views. I agree that there are some very active members here (myself definitely not on that list) and they certainly do deserve to be thanked for providing so much free and valuable business advice.
    So in short yes, Bridie’s idea gets my vote.
    And Burgo – you get a “thank you” from me for this post.

Divert To Mobile
    Up
    travelmaster, post: 134185 wrote:
    Hi Burgo, It’s a Public Holiday in NSW and here we are, on FS when we should be sleeping in. What’s going on.

The neighbours have begun construction :(

travelmaster, post: 134185 wrote:
    And Burgo – you get a “thank you” from me, because I noticed nobody thanked you before.
    FYI

Thanks = thanks given to others
    Thanked = thanks received from others

Steve

travelmaster
    • Total posts: 200
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 134187 wrote:
    The neighbours have begun construction :(

FYI

Thanks = thanks given to others
    Thanked = thanks received from others

Steve

indeed, now corrected, I think was still asleep after all.

Divert To Mobile
    Up

Its been 2 months now, every Saturday + Sunday 8am starts with hammer drills, and other power tools. I’m considering going there to help them so they can finish sooner.

Steve

Burgo
    • Total posts: 2,099
    Up

The beauty of being retired is being able to do what you want to do when you want to do it. Besides every day that ends with a “y” is a holiday hahahahaha.

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up
    Burgo, post: 134178 wrote:

I think people are already lazy… how many “I need a copywriter” “I need someone to help with my website” “I need a trademark lawyer” posts are there in the referral forum? (And no, I haven’t counted but I know I’ve seen them multiple times over the last few months)

I agree – where is everybody? :)

NathanB
    • Total posts: 775
    Up
    bridiej, post: 134200 wrote:
    I think people are already lazy… how many “I need a copywriter” “I need someone to help with my website” “I need a trademark lawyer” posts are there in the referral forum? (And no, I haven’t counted but I know I’ve seen them multiple times over the last few months)

I agree – where is everybody? :)

I’m 50/50 on this. I agree that people are lazy to a degree when they post things like “I need a X service” but it is a good way to get the best price first quote as well as find the people hungrier for your business – people that aren’t afraid to back themselves and say they want the work get bonus points in my book.

If you need a X service and your post gets 3-4 replies, the people replying may take than into consideration when replying and go that extra mile to land the work.

Just my 2 cents.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.