Home – New Forums Other discussions Referral service charges

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Forensic01
    • Total posts: 20
    Up
    ::

Hi…

Just looking for some advice. My consultancy service is pretty niche (we offer Forensic Science Consultancy to legal professionals). We are therefore listed with an expert referral service based in Sydney – as we know many lawyers trust this service as it is run through one of the universities.

My question is – does anyone know what kind of fees these services typically add on? The reason I ask is that we have had problems recently with potential clients querying the quote – this doesn’t happen when we obtain directly. Thus, my suspicion is that the referral service is adding on some horrendous charge. We used one service, where we found out they were adding on 50% of our charge – so we promptly decided to cut ties with them, as we didn’t want to get a reputation as being excessively expensive (the worst thing was they didn’t separate out their charge from ours!).

We have asked the current referral service what they add on – but they won;t tell us. We are in the position at the moment where we are having to reduce our hourly rate, in order to pick up work through them. At the moment we need that work, but hopefully in the future we won’t! I find it frustrating that it is us losing money – rather than them.

I should add that all they do is literally take an initial phone call/email – forward to us…and pass a quote back. They don’t do any management of the work from then on. However, they do pass on our invoice and collect payment (of course – so they can take their cut!).

To me, I would expect to only pay a fixed fee for this service, but I suspect they are adding on an hourly rate?

Any thoughts, advice etc would be appreciated!

Regards

Helen

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    ::
    Forensic01, post: 191771 wrote:
    Hi…

Just looking for some advice. My consultancy service is pretty niche (we offer Forensic Science Consultancy to legal professionals). We are therefore listed with an expert referral service based in Sydney – as we know many lawyers trust this service as it is run through one of the universities.

My question is – does anyone know what kind of fees these services typically add on? The reason I ask is that we have had problems recently with potential clients querying the quote – this doesn’t happen when we obtain directly. Thus, my suspicion is that the referral service is adding on some horrendous charge. We used one service, where we found out they were adding on 50% of our charge – so we promptly decided to cut ties with them, as we didn’t want to get a reputation as being excessively expensive (the worst thing was they didn’t separate out their charge from ours!).

We have asked the current referral service what they add on – but they won;t tell us. We are in the position at the moment where we are having to reduce our hourly rate, in order to pick up work through them. At the moment we need that work, but hopefully in the future we won’t! I find it frustrating that it is us losing money – rather than them.

I should add that all they do is literally take an initial phone call/email – forward to us…and pass a quote back. They don’t do any management of the work from then on. However, they do pass on our invoice and collect payment (of course – so they can take their cut!).

To me, I would expect to only pay a fixed fee for this service, but I suspect they are adding on an hourly rate?

Any thoughts, advice etc would be appreciated!

Regards

Helen
    Why don’t you just do a dummy call into to them and find out the pricing? At the moment you are guessing, and until you have concrete information, you can decide how to proceed.

Get the info first, then decide how you want to proceed.

Ask them what % they need to make, and figure out whether you can work with them, or not.

Jenny

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.