Home – New Forums Starting your journey Registered business address

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    katee71
    • Total posts: 32
    Up
    ::

Hi, I posted here about a month ago and I was interested in breeding insects. I was looking for a suitable business location for a while & found one just before xmas. My question relates to the registered business address…

When I start breeding insects in my shed am I required to use this location as my registered business address ? Or would it be possible to keep it as just my workshop/storage space ? I would prefer to have my home address or use a virtual office space as my registered address.

Thanks for your help once again …

Omega BCS
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

Hi Katee,

Breeding insects? Awesome! :D If you are happy to say, what type and what for? Can you tell I was one of those little boys fascinated by creepy crawlies? :)

Anyhow, as far as a registered address goes, unless you have a restriction on running a business from your home (such as living in a rental property that specifically forbids it in the lease) you can use your residential address as the registered address. You will still have to state your principal place of business which is where you carry out your day to day activities of course. The Principle place of business is also what is displayed in the registrar of businesses, rather than your home address if I recall correctly.

So you have two types of business address;
    Registered address – often the company owners address (unless corporate) and is the address for correspondence from ASIC and typically where most admin is carried out. If this is not a place where you live you need to state that you have permission from the resident to operate your business from there.
    There are ‘virtual office’ providers that can be used for the registered address if you can’t use a residential address. You have to make sure they are acceptable to ASIC but this will be one of their selling points and they’ll tell you straight up I imagine.

Principle place of business – the location where most business operations take place – in this case, lots of little bugs getting their naughty on ;) This address needs to be a street address mind you so if your shed is out the back of someone else’s place you have to provide that address AND you need to have their permission to do so.

I hope that helps!

katee71
    Up

Hi..thanks for the posting ! It has made things a lot clearer to me so very much appreciated. Great to hear you like bugs …a lot of people are not so enthusiastic. Happy to talk about my business ..I will be breeding mealworms, grasshoppers and cockroaches (they are a native wood roach not the ones you would normally find in the house). At the moment I am focused on supplying to reptile and amphibian market but I am interested in exploring alternative markets for insects (such as poultry and fish feed).

Your business sounds very interesting.. will have to read up a bit further on it. All the best for the coming year !

Omega BCS
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

Hi Katee,

Glad I could help!
    That sounds like a really cool business to be in, how did you come to get in to that field if you don’t mind me asking?

Cheers!

katee71
    Up

I got into this field as I done my degrees in insect science/zoology and it’s not so easy to find work. In part I’m also slightly more interested in the business side than an academic career.

I can see the huge potential of insects to be used in the poultry and aquaculture industries (especially with the decline of fishmeal, one of the key ingredients in livestock feeds). That’s a brief outline of how I got into this field.. hope you found it interesting.

Grant Mason
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

Re: Registered business address at virtual office centre

Hello Katee –

My business is Gordon Executive Centre and we provide virtual office address sydney services for start ups as well as established businesses, home/offices, and for branch offices of larger or interstate and overseas businesses. We also provide offices for growing businesses.

In regards to a registered office address, from the ASIC website: “An Australian company must have a registered office to which correspondence can be addressed. A registered office does not need to be located at the company’s place of business. If the company does not occupy the premises, the occupier of the premises must have given written consent to the company’s use of those premises as its registered office. The address cannot be a post office box address.” In regards to a virtual office address, yes we provide consent to use our address for our virtual address clients.

When you promote your insect business on perhaps a website, fliers, business cards, e-mail signatures etc, to provide the impression that you are well established and successful, you would want to show a business address.

If the home address really looks like a home address (such as “Peach Tree Lane” this may not convey the impression that your business is well established and successful, and that may be a point of hesitancy with a potential new client.

Some businesses wish separation from their business and private lives. They don’t want to broadcast their home address to whomever they do business with.

There are other benefits to a virtual address you may consider including fax number, optional phone answering, and a business centre for office support services such as copying, scanning, printing, and a professional environment for meeting room hire for business meetings and trainings.

Please visit the Gordon Executive Centre website for more information on the benefits of using a virtual address for your business. You may give me a call if you have some questions. We would be happy to sign you up with a competitively priced virtual address service from $9.45 per week plus GST.

Regards, Grant Mason

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Katee,

Before you go to to much expense, you need to evaluate what you are after. Using a virtual office or one of those fake business address’s costs a lot (10 bucks a week is a lot of insects to sell).

Your registered business address can be your home address, but the address you give to clients on business cards, flyers or invoicing, etc could be a PO box, by showing a PO box it by no means does NOT convey the impression that your business is not well established and successful.

A PO box is far cheaper for a startup business than using a virtual office,
    I have my home address as the official registered address, and everything else is the PO box, perfectly legitimate as far as ASIC is concerned.

You also need to consider delays in mail delivery by using a virtual office if you are wanting rapid turn around to client correspondence.

Not many smaller business’s would require this expense

Grant Mason
    Up
    bb1, post: 181686 wrote:
    Katee,

You also need to consider delays in mail delivery by using a virtual office if you are wanting rapid turn around to client correspondence.

I differ with the previous poster, in terms of virtual office mail delays. The delay would be one day or less with Gordon Executive Centre. We visit the post office twice a day. In the morning we pick up the mail. In the afternoon we drop off any redirected mail directly to the post office. The Post Office charges more for redirection. For important correspondence you might instruct us to scan and e-mail. So if you are in another state at an insect industry get together you may get your mail same day – unlike if sent to your PO Box (which you need to pick up, or pay more to redirect), and if your mail is in your PO box or home there would be delay in you receiving it.

Plus with our virtual office address service you would get a fax number with faxes e-mailed to you (the post office does not do this). Displaying a fax number on your website would make your business appear more established (even though we know these days e-mail correspondence is up and fax correspondence is down).

Another advantage of a virtual address is that as it would not be a PO Box it would make your business look like it was operating out of a commercial office address – and therefore appear more established.

So it is up to you, as the previous poster suggests you may do things less expensively, get your business going, and as your business grows you may further consider other options such as a virtual office.

I hope this all helps, regards, Grant Mason.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Grant Mason, post: 181727 wrote:
    I differ with the previous poster, in terms of virtual office mail delays. The delay would be one day or less with Gordon Executive Centre. We visit the post office twice a day. In the morning we pick up the mail. In the afternoon we drop off any redirected mail directly to the post office. The Post Office charges more for redirection. For important correspondence you might instruct us to scan and e-mail. So if you are in another state at an insect industry get together you may get your mail same day – unlike if sent to your PO Box (which you need to pick up, or pay more to redirect), and if your mail is in your PO box or home there would be delay in you receiving it.
    Another advantage of a virtual address is that as it would not be a PO Box it would make your business look like it was operating out of a commercial office address – and therefore appear more established.
    hope this all helps, regards, Grant Mason.

I must disagree, you may visit the post office twice per day, but there will at all times be a minimum of 1 day delay. If you pickup the mail in the morning, and return it to the Postoffice that day, it will not get into the mail system till that afternoon, and be resorted overnight for deliver to Katee’s address the following day. Automatic 1 day delay to any mail.

Yes you can scan and email same day, but would a startup company want to pay the costs of this service ($3 per first page, 50 cents per additional pages up to $10 per 10 minutes plus GST), yes it negates delays, but is extremely expensive

I am aware of a number of well established business which use a PO box, and no one says that they appear more established. I would be interested to know what your justification is to show that you appear more established by having a commercial office address.

Grant Mason
    Up

Hello bb1,

A business appears more established with a commercial address compared to a PO box: because people know that it does not cost much to get a PO box where on the other hand the cost is significantly higher for a commercial office. It may be a good indication of your success, commitment, and focus if you show a commercial address.

Of course this depends on the business as many businesses work quite well with a PO Box. Yet when attracting new customers through your website what they see on your contacts page may influence their impression that your business will be around for awhile.

In regards to a virtual address and scanning and e-mail being faster than post, we have some customers who normally get their mail forwarded, yet they may request scan and e-mail of a particular mail say from Google or a government department. Our rate for a virtual office address at Gordon Executive Centre is quite competitive. Click on: Virtual address Sydney.

You may give me a call. I’ll be happy to discuss.

Regards, Grant Mason

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.