Home – New Forums Logistics Registered post only

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    *Alison*
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I have had a lot of problems with Australia Post over the last couple of months. A number of times my customers order not arriving & clearly lost in the mail. What is strange, on a number of occasions I have sent a number of cutomers orders out at the same time (5 or more) & was contacted by every one of these buyers informing me that their order/s had not arrived.

two weeks before Christmas I sent out 9 customer orders, all of these buyers all recieved empty envelopes. Clearly between me posting these products out, someone opened each envelope, emptied the comtents (my products), re-sealed and sent the empty envelopes onto my buyers. Given that I had all these particular buyers contacted me, I think it would be very strange that they are all making this up. This incident really upset me :(

So am now planning 2010 & how to make my business better than last year, am considering making postage option registered mail ONLY. I have looked into this at the post office & can buy the pre-paid registered post envelopes for approx $3 – $4.

My question is: do you think this will be a disadvantage to my business? will buyers go elsewhere?

I did kindly replace the missing orders but really don’t want this to happen too much in the future.

(apologies for any incoorect spelling, am typing this from my phone :))

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

This is quite a familiar story … Australia Post has a horrible track record for losing items.

What is it exactly that you are shipping?
    Where are you based?
    Where are your customers?

Yours in print,

Jake

Anonymous
    Up

Thanks for your reply Jake.

I sell shoe charms. I send them in an envelope and you can feel there are charms in there. Slightly bulky. I know exactly how much it costs, so it’s not a case of not putting enough stamps on the envelopes.

I’m in Melbourne & send them all over Australia and overseas.

It just makes me made that I need to consider getting my buyers to pay more for postage because Australia post can be so unrealiable at times! It isn’t all the time, but has happened too much IMO!!!

:)

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Hmmm, I guess it wouldn’t be work using couriers then.

I moved from Australia post to Couriers a while back, and haven’t looked back.

I’ve had to pay a little more in courier fees, but I have (touch wood) to this day not had a problem.

Personally, I would move to registered post for the following reasons …
    – When your customers receive empty parcels, you lose reputation and perhaps future orders.
    – Cost to replace goods + Repostage + The time it takes you to resend is a considerable burden.
    – Australia post is just downright inefficient and borders on evil.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Public servants need I say more.

spotty
    • Total posts: 36
    Up

Personally I think clients would struggle with the additional registered postage cost especially as your charms are sometimes only a few dollars (depending on how many are being ordered of course) I think I saw on another thread. The other thing to consider is your packaging, seeing as this is happening regularly is it possible that the charms are slipping out of the envelope the way a coin will? If it is a possibility try wrapping the charms in something to bulk them up, ie bubble wrap, you did mention that you can feel there is a charm enclosed, realistically no one should be able to feel anything. Hope this helps.

Anonymous
    Up

Yes spotty, you are right. Some buyers would be paying more in postage the cost if they only buy one or two charms.

I securely seal the envelope & even more so now. I put a lot of sticky tape around the envelope. When I had the incident where all the envelopes turned up empty, I had only put a piece of sticky tape on the back of the envelope, I put more on now.

If I put bubble wrap around the charms, it makes the envelope thicker & could cost approx. $4 to post via normal mail. I have tried this in the early days & not worth it. I would prefer to send via registered post than normal post if it will cost this much.

spotty
    • Total posts: 36
    Up

I might be getting this wrong but I just wrapped my charm necklace in bubble wrap once, put it in a DL envelope, checked Australia Post letter guage for Medium Letter (too thick for small), went to APs website and chose DL, 5-20mm thick, up to 50gms and the postage cost is only $1.10 from Traralgon Vic to Perth WA. I still think the registered post cost is excessive for customers. The other thing you could do is give customers the option of choosing registered and paying the extra. Make sure though that your terms and conditions on your website state that you prefer RP and accept no responsibility for lost or damaged products once they leave your hands.

Webolution
    • Total posts: 61
    Up

Hi Alison,

One thing I’d check is what Registered Post actually means in terms of guaranteeing the mail will arrive. As far as I know, Registered Post only means it can be tracked, it does not guarantee it will arrive and I don’t think Australia Post provide any form of remuneration if the item still goes missing.

You could probably purchase insurance and all that, but I assume keeping the costs down is important.

It’s the same with Express Post – in the case of a lost parcel, AusPost only offer a free replacement bag and that’s it.

From my experience, unless you have insurance and the time to fill out the forms and chase it up and wait months for the claim to be processed, there is never any guarantee that your mail will actually arrive.

Having said all that, what choice do you have? Couriers are your only other option really.

Cheers,
    Joel

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up
    spotty, post: 22903 wrote:
    I might be getting this wrong but I just wrapped my charm necklace in bubble wrap once, put it in a DL envelope, checked Australia Post letter guage for Medium Letter (too thick for small), went to APs website and chose DL, 5-20mm thick, up to 50gms and the postage cost is only $1.10 from Traralgon Vic to Perth WA. I still think the registered post cost is excessive for customers. The other thing you could do is give customers the option of choosing registered and paying the extra. Make sure though that your terms and conditions on your website state that you prefer RP and accept no responsibility for lost or damaged products once they leave your hands.

I agree, make it an option and have a disclosure saying “We take no responsibility for lost or damaged items sent via un-registered post”

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

I think registered post gives you insurance up to $100 in value.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.