Home – New Forums Other discussions Registering a business name

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    CG
    • Total posts: 101
    Up
    ::

I tried this query in the “Starting a business forum” and received no replies. Giving it another try here.

Sole trader has ABN and a registered business name. Has now moved to a new location with a different focus, for which the old name is no longer appropriate. Has already been using another name for that (newer) part of the business, which has had its own Facebook page using the desired new name for several years. But that name has never been registered by this trader. It was registered years ago to another person who went out of business and cancelled the registration. So the name now shows as available.

My questions are:
    1. How long does it take these days to register a business name via the ASIC system?
    2. What penalty is there, if any, for using an unregistered name on shop-font signage, business cards etc.

For legal purposes the business is still a sole trader: i.e. name+surname trading as XX.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    ::

Don’t know about penalties or anything for using an unregistered name. But you run a big risk that someone else registers that name legally and than you will run into problems using their business name. I know when I register my business name a few years back it was less than a week to have it all secured..

Dont delay because you could run into legal implications if someone else grabs that name.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.