Home – New Forums Starting your journey Registering a Business Name. Australia Wide?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up
    ::

Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me;

When trading as a sole trader and dealing with customers Australia wide, is it necessary to register the business name in every state? The premesis and work will be done in Queensland regardless of where the customer is.

I was just talking to Queensland Office of Fair Trading and they said that if I was soliciting outside of Queensland then I have to contact each state and ask them?

I would appreciate any thoughts. Seems kind of silly to have to register in every state.

Thank you

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

To my knowledge NO.
    If the business name you register was then to eventually become a PTY LTD, the company name would appear on ASICS register which is Australia wide.
    Then again you may wish to open branches in each state, under a licence, the business name could then be registered in each state as XYZ NSW, or XYZ WA keeping then separate entities.
    Thats my understanding , then again laws may have changed over the last 50 years so haveachat to your accountant who will set your mind at ease.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

This link at Business Builders is worth reading …

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com.au/HowToGuide/How_to_register_a_business_name

Basically, from what I understand, you only need to register in each state if you are operating from an office in each state. I would assume that would include ‘virtual offices’ also. However, if you just have one base, you are correct, it doesn’t matter. But of course, check this with the ATO or your accountant.

The only drawback is that a trading name, like ABC Web, can exist in each state, but is less likely now if you have the domain name that goes with it.

When registering a name, check if the .com.au and .com are taken because they are still the main business domains people look for.

Karen Wardle
    • Total posts: 363
    Up
    KarenC, post: 31423 wrote:
    This link at Business Builders is worth reading …

Bookkeeping Solutions
    • Total posts: 29
    Up

The above posts are correct – you do need to register in each state.

Virtual Call Centre
    • Total posts: 74
    Up
    JohnSheppard, post: 31418 wrote:
    Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me;

When trading as a sole trader and dealing with customers Australia wide, is it necessary to register the business name in every state? The premesis and work will be done in Queensland regardless of where the customer is.

I was just talking to Queensland Office of Fair Trading and they said that if I was soliciting outside of Queensland then I have to contact each state and ask them?

I would appreciate any thoughts. Seems kind of silly to have to register in every state.

Thank you

When I registered mine a few weeks ago, she told me we can work anywhere, however if we wanted to own the name in Australia we had to pay for registration in each state, costing more $$.. she said doing that covers us if someone steals the business name in another state and then rides our wagon..
    hope that helped

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

Thanks All! Very much appreciate the help. That yahoo link is a good one :)

Seems to me that it might be worth incorporating rather than registering in every state in order to protect my name.

While I own the domain name and the like, it still makes me nervous that someone else can setup under same name in different state.

I guess I’ll have to go to accountant to see what he says about the cost factors.

Thank you.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.