Home – New Forums Starting your journey Registering a Deregistered Business Name

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bradya
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been looking at a business name to register but have found that there was previously a company with the same name the was deregistered in 2007. Does anyone know if there are any restrictions about registering the name now that it is no longer in use?

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

It should be 100% OK to register it as long as you are a registered business with an ABN

edit sorry I was off track – I was thinking domain name. I agree with Tracey Anne

Tracey Anne
    • Total posts: 82
    Up

It’s ok to register under that name. When I started my business I searched on the name I had thought of for my first choice, and found it had been previously deregistered in my state. I was concerned that I might be incorrectly associated with a business that had been deregistered for dodgy business practices, bankruptcy or some other involuntary reason. I decided
    I wasn’t prepared to take the risk. I still think about that name though :)

beancounter
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

You may be able to do a search on that business name – perhaps you should contact the Office of Fair trading and or ASIC and ask them

CruzAccountant
    • Total posts: 195
    Up

If the entity is a company, then you can register the company name. Here’s an extract from the ASIC site:

What if someone else has used my company name while my company was deregistered?

When a company is deregistered, an application for registration of another company with the same name as the deregistered company is permitted. We are only required to ensure that no registered company has the same name as the new company applying for registration.

http://www.asic.gov.au/asic/ASIC.NSF/byHeadline/Reinstatement%20of%20companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.