Home – New Forums Money matters registering as a BAS agent!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    monsta76
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    ::

Hi there, I have previously registered as a BAS agent thru the transitional application.

Its now just past the time that I needed to re-register. I dont have the required hours nor the required 700 hours up in the last 2 years to re-register thru the transitional app.

What do I do? I have 2 small clients on a quarterly basis as a contractor, which is about 10 hours each. Im a stay at home mum,and thought that it would be easier than this to get my hours up….but i guess time got away from me, as my life has been hectic in other areas.

What are my options, im desperate!? Obviously I can no longer do the BAS for these 2 clients. I spoke to a guy at the TPB and he said if I can get 35 hours per week for the next few months I can still apply for the transitional, but that also still means that I cannot provide BAS right? Or be under their payroll, which will include them employing me as part time with super etc. Im sure that is not an option. Or I try to get work under a Tax agent, which sounds easier than it is.

Im in a pickle, now Im thinking that I will have to give all this away, and that my studies have all been a waste of time….what do you suggest?

Please if you can add anything, I would greatly appreciate your advice!! :)

TIA Moni

Redlands Accounting
    • Total posts: 53
    Up

Where are you located?

I would try the employee route with your clients. If you reduce your rate to allow for the extra super and insurance they will have to pay they would probably go for it. You would also have the advantage of not having to maintain your own insurance. At least then they can retain your services and it would still go towards your hours.

Another option if you are only just short on hours is to put in an application and then work towards getting the hours. I submitted a tax agent application 4 months ago and it hasnt even been looked at yet so the board are that far behind it is ridiculous. Fine for those just putting in renewals as they continue to remain registered but not so good for those who are putting in new applications. Apparently they are prioritising new applications.

Redlands Accounting
    Up

Where are you located?

I would try the employee route with your clients. If you reduce your rate to allow for the extra super and insurance they will have to pay they would probably go for it. You would also have the advantage of not having to maintain your own insurance. At least then they can retain your services and it would still go towards your hours.

Another option if you are only just short on hours is to put in an application and then work towards getting the hours. I submitted a tax agent application 4 months ago and it hasnt even been looked at yet so the board are that far behind it is ridiculous. Fine for those just putting in renewals as they continue to remain registered but not so good for those who are putting in new applications. Apparently they are prioritising new applications.

BBS
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Hi Moni

I would try the Australian Bookkeepers Network.

http://www.austbook.net/

They offer a service where Non-BAS Agents can lodge BAS Returns through their Agent Number. You need to be a member and then they charge a fee per lodgement, around $70 per lodgement from memory.

I think they even issue you with a report down the track of all your lodgements in a format that is acceptable with the TPB, so you have a basis to prove your hours.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Bruce

BBS
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Hi Moni

I would try the Australian Bookkeepers Network.

http://www.austbook.net/

They offer a service where Non-BAS Agents can lodge BAS Returns through their Agent Number. You need to be a member and then they charge a fee per lodgement, around $70 per lodgement from memory.

I think they even issue you with a report down the track of all your lodgements in a format that is acceptable with the TPB, so you have a basis to prove your hours.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Bruce

interAccounts
    • Total posts: 125
    Up

Sounds as if the Tax Agent’s Board aren’t employing enough people to process the applications if they are still months behind. I lodged my Tax Agent’s Licence application in early March 2011 and was told then that it would take up to 6 months to be processed. It only took 4 months. Bit rough if they’re still behind a year later.

The Australian Bookkeepers Network was highly recommended to me to use during this period too.

Good luck in your endeavours

interAccounts
    • Total posts: 125
    Up

Sounds as if the Tax Agent’s Board aren’t employing enough people to process the applications if they are still months behind. I lodged my Tax Agent’s Licence application in early March 2011 and was told then that it would take up to 6 months to be processed. It only took 4 months. Bit rough if they’re still behind a year later.

The Australian Bookkeepers Network was highly recommended to me to use during this period too.

Good luck in your endeavours

Redlands Accounting
    Up
    interAccounts, post: 113282 wrote:
    Sounds as if the Tax Agent’s Board aren’t employing enough people to process the applications if they are still months behind. I lodged my Tax Agent’s Licence application in early March 2011 and was told then that it would take up to 6 months to be processed. It only took 4 months.

Well at least I have done 4 months of waiting. Hopefully it wont be much longer. Do you know, did the TPB update the website before or after advising you and did they write or phone and let you know of the outcome. I check the website daily. It is getting so frustrating playing this waiting game. I am sure in any other industry it would be deemed unacceptable to have to wait so long

Helen

Redlands Accounting
    Up
    interAccounts, post: 113282 wrote:
    Sounds as if the Tax Agent’s Board aren’t employing enough people to process the applications if they are still months behind. I lodged my Tax Agent’s Licence application in early March 2011 and was told then that it would take up to 6 months to be processed. It only took 4 months.

Well at least I have done 4 months of waiting. Hopefully it wont be much longer. Do you know, did the TPB update the website before or after advising you and did they write or phone and let you know of the outcome. I check the website daily. It is getting so frustrating playing this waiting game. I am sure in any other industry it would be deemed unacceptable to have to wait so long

Helen

Normanby
    • Total posts: 194
    Up

My Tax Agent renewal took 9 months from when I paid the $500 to when the certificate arrived.
    They’re a joke, the TPB. Mandated in the new Act, but so underfunded that one wonders if the ATO are setting it up to fail, so they can take back control of it. They hated having to give up control of Tax Practitioners under the new rules.
    The Aus Bookkeepers Network is a crackerjack mob, very professional, and helpful.
    Matt
    http://www.NoHassleAccounting.com.au

Normanby
    • Total posts: 194
    Up

My Tax Agent renewal took 9 months from when I paid the $500 to when the certificate arrived.
    They’re a joke, the TPB. Mandated in the new Act, but so underfunded that one wonders if the ATO are setting it up to fail, so they can take back control of it. They hated having to give up control of Tax Practitioners under the new rules.
    The Aus Bookkeepers Network is a crackerjack mob, very professional, and helpful.
    Matt
    http://www.NoHassleAccounting.com.au

Redlands Accounting
    Up

Thanks for that Matt :-) Every cloud has a silver lining hey!!!

I was told the usual 6 months if the application wasnt complete, which it is. They dont seem to get they are playing with peoples livelihoods.

I had a quick nosey at your website. Like your approach. I presume you are using Banklink? I operated similar but without banklink but had most clients operating on qb online. It enabled them to do some data entry if they wanted but I could keep track of it and make sure all due dates were met. I am doing tax under contract at the moment but desperate to actually start building up again. With eofy fast approaching I hope it all happens soon. Then I just need to get access to els and software set up. Pushing a tight time frame I think.

Helen

Redlands Accounting
    Up

Thanks for that Matt :-) Every cloud has a silver lining hey!!!

I was told the usual 6 months if the application wasnt complete, which it is. They dont seem to get they are playing with peoples livelihoods.

I had a quick nosey at your website. Like your approach. I presume you are using Banklink? I operated similar but without banklink but had most clients operating on qb online. It enabled them to do some data entry if they wanted but I could keep track of it and make sure all due dates were met. I am doing tax under contract at the moment but desperate to actually start building up again. With eofy fast approaching I hope it all happens soon. Then I just need to get access to els and software set up. Pushing a tight time frame I think.

Helen

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.