Home – New Forums Tech talk Registering Japanese Domains

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up
    ::

Hey guys, I have a friend who’s living in Japan who’s asking me to help them out with a website… They need a domain name registered obviously, but I’m wondering how hard that will be if I don’t know japanese?

Can i just register a .jp domain using the Aussie registrar that I use now?

adrian
    Participant
    • Total posts: 181
    Up

Depends on your registrar. For obscure stuff, I’ve used these guys 101 Domains. They got the domain fine, but weren’t cheap. Only option I could find for an Estonian domain without speaking Estonian though…

These guys look cheaper JP Domains, but just google ‘register jp domain’, and see what you find if your registrar doesn’t offer Japanese domains.

preneur
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

Hey LemonChip,

In terms of registering domain names, any domain registrar should be able to allow you to register domains of different countries. You can use an Australian registrar, you can use GoDaddy.

There’s a great one called domai.nr that gives you the ability to register overseas domain addresses like .jp’s or .nr’s and things like that. There’s no reason you have to be based in that country to register the domain.

If you can’t (because there are certain countries that do require you to actually have a local address), you can use third-party companies that will work as an intermediary for you. They will buy the domain on your behalf; and since you have a contract with them, you technically own that domain. Just Google some places about registering Japanese domain names and see what you can find.

Cheers,
    Pete

p.s. This response was actually transcribed and posted by my virtual assistant.

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

That makes sense… What I was also trying to find out is, would you type the domain out in english letters? Or would you need to have the japanese characters to do it?

Ytelco
    • Total posts: 116
    Up

Asia Registry can assist with JP domains. Don’t quote me but I think you can use Japanese characters or letters. Might be an idea to get both if you can.

Here’s their page with some extra info: http://www.asiaregistry.com/domains/domains_jp.html

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.