Home – New Forums Tech talk Reminder! Time to register your new .au domain extension

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Suze English
    • Total posts: 33
    Up
    ::

Hi Soloists, just popping in to share this news in case anyone has missed it.

New, shorter Aussie domain name extensions are launching this year with priority registrations now open for businesses with an established Australian website.

You can now register for priority allocation of your website with the new, direct .au extension – which will see Aussie domain names doing away with the .com

For example: flyingsolo.com.au will become flyingsolo.au

Registrations opened on March 24 for businesses with an existing domain name. But be quick – any .au domain extensions that haven’t been claimed by the priority owner by 20 September 2022 will be available for anyone to apply for.

Here’s more info and how to apply for priority allocation > at https://www.auda.org.au/au-domain-names/au-domain-names/au-direct

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Thank you for the info Suze.

Do you know if people should take any “defensive action” to protect their brand?

Cheers
    Paul

SMEEK
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

This is an absolutely terrible idea !

The only reason this has been permitted now, is because the domain name registries are running low on funds due to most of the domain names in the .com.au and .net.au name spaces being already taken.

It will cause mass confusion amongst staff and customers alike. Having the “com” or “net” in a domain name is now part of our psyche and people expect it, omitting it somehow just doesn’t feel right. And it even doesn’t look right, especially to the general public, who don’t understand how DNS works and will assume the address is wrong.

It will take a long time for the general populace to get used and warm to the idea of just .au in domain names. See for yourself how it appears :

domainname.com.au
    domainname.net.au

domainname.au

This goes against the whole idea of why a hierarchical Domain Name System was created in the first place. I’ll bet KRE will be not be impressed either, he kept sanity in domain names long before it was made a commercial venture (yes, I’ve been involved with domain names for a while …)

Note that the link to the article is written by the MD of GoDaddy, one of the registrars that will benefit from the cash grab they are hyping up to holders of current .com.au and .net.au domain names.

storewall
    Participant
    • Total posts: 28
    Up

I have been emailed and called re this pre-registration as well. I am planning on buying but will probably just redirect it to com.au. I have also found some varying pricing amongst those that sell the domains.

Suze English
    Up

Do you know if people should take any “defensive action” to protect their brand?

Hi Paul, if anyone else can purchase the domain with .au-only extension after Sep 20, it makes sense that businesses should move quickly to priority-register theirs before the cutoff date.

It’s going to be interesting to see whether companies also attempt to register/buy up similar domain names with the new .au extensions. And I see some nasty scuffles between those businesses that have the same domain name with different extensions (abcde.com.au vs abcde.net.au for e.g.)

@SMEEK
    ’s prediction that there will be a fair bit of confusion is fair, I reckon.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hey boys and girls! I want to make software development website like CHETU, IntellectSoft, IT Craft (original – not confused with Poland company) and others. Firstly? Can you give me advice or step-by-step how to build all of processes? Thanks!

Ask one question at a time if you would like to receive considered answers.

My question to you is, What is your budget?

Cheers
    ~Paul

Suze English
    Up

Hi all, have you secured priority access to your .au domain name yet? It would be wise to get on it before the 20 September 2022 deadline, after which time these domain names will become available to the general public.

Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman Bruce Billson is also imploring small businesses to take urgent action to snap up the .au domains in order to safeguard your brand and identity on the internet, or risk impersonators, web-name ‘campers’ or cyber criminals taking up the shortened domain name that’s just like yours.

More info here:

Take action now to secure your .au and protect your online identity

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.