Home – New Forums Tech talk Remote access????

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    ::

Hi All

Thanks kindly for all the suggestions.. got my new laptop and have been playing with RDP although there appears to be something blocking the connection, maybe ports or firewall that i can quite figure out so not able to connect how i preferred (RDP was preference as window stayed closed on the physical computer i was controlling) so installed TeamView..

TeamView is working a treat… have also figured out i can prevent the computer i am controlling from operating whilst on it and can even black the screens out so they cant see what i am doing, so it is sort of a fix…

Again, really appreciate all the heads ups and recommendations.. when time permits, i will go back and look at RDP!

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    eWAY
    • Total posts: 524
    Up

Glad to hear TeamViewer got you going, I was pretty confident it would work. Hopefully you installed the ‘host’ version so that when you reboot the machine it starts up automatically and reconnects the session.

With RDP, a firewall might be blocking it. This could be the firewall in your mode/router (look for an option called ‘Port Forwarding’) your Anti Viruses firewall, or your Windows firewall. So it can be a bit of a pain to setup.

Also, remember that you need to enabled RDP in Windows and only the professional (and higher) versions support an incoming RDP connection. Here are the instructions on enabling it – http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/turn-on-remote-desktop-in-windows-vista/

Maclean

SimplyReplica, post: 182700 wrote:
    Hi All

Thanks kindly for all the suggestions.. got my new laptop and have been playing with RDP although there appears to be something blocking the connection, maybe ports or firewall that i can quite figure out so not able to connect how i preferred (RDP was preference as window stayed closed on the physical computer i was controlling) so installed TeamView..

TeamView is working a treat… have also figured out i can prevent the computer i am controlling from operating whilst on it and can even black the screens out so they cant see what i am doing, so it is sort of a fix…

Again, really appreciate all the heads ups and recommendations.. when time permits, i will go back and look at RDP!

Cheers
    Jason

Gail @ VAABS
    • Total posts: 28
    Up

Teamviewer is the easy answer. Logmein and GoToMyPC are other options. If you are overseas regularly, you may want to consider converting MYOB to MYOB Live Accounts so it is cloud based and can be accessed from anywhere.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.