Home – New Forums Money matters Rental home office claimable expenses

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    business808080
    • Total posts: 41
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I want to rent a 2 bedroom apartment and utilise one room for a home office. Im trying to calculate approximately how much I will be able to claim using http://calculators.ato.gov.au/scripts/axos/axos.asp?CONTEXT=&KBS=Home_office.XR4&go=ok

I went though the questionnaire using approximations and was somewhat surprised at how little I could claim.

Assuming my rent was $350 a week and I spent about 6 hours a day in the office, my total expenses on rent alone would be $18,200 with my claimable expenses being only $2,071. Am I missing something? For some reason I expected the claimable expenses to be in vicinity of 1/3.

Simply Money Honey
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

Hi

I believe the ATO’s calculator calculates the cost of the rental deduction based on floor space eg. floor space of office/total floor space x annual rent assuming the office is 100% used for business purposes. You have to remember the kitchen, bathroom, living room, bedroom etc are all personal.

Gabrielle

business808080
    Up
    Simply Money Honey, post: 187399 wrote:
    Hi

I believe the ATO’s calculator calculates the cost of the rental deduction based on floor space eg. floor space of office/total floor space x annual rent assuming the office is 100% used for business purposes. You have to remember the kitchen, bathroom, living room, bedroom etc are all personal.

Gabrielle

One room would make up approximately 1/4 of an apartment, plus with additional claimable items, I figured the number would be close to 1/3. This site seems to support my claim:

“You can generally claim the same percentage of occupancy expenses as the percentage area of your home that is used to make income, and again one common way to work this out is to use the floor area put aside for work as a proportion of the floor area of your home as a whole (as can be used for some running expenses, as mentioned above). So if for example your home office is 10% of the total area, then you may be able to claim 10% of rent costs or mortgage interest, council rates, insurance etc. In some situations it may be necessary to adopt a basis other than floor area, for example where say a huge workshop attached to the home may take up a great amount of floor space but contribute much less to the value of the overall property.”

http://www.lewistaxation.com.au/business/business-deductions/tax-working-from-home

Simply Money Honey
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

This sounds correct. What numbers did you put in the calculator for floor space? Maybe you need to do the calculator again.

business808080
    Up
    Simply Money Honey, post: 187403 wrote:
    This sounds correct. What numbers did you put in the calculator for floor space? Maybe you need to do the calculator again.

Yes, I think i did it wrong. I will try it again :)

business808080
    Up

I accidentally entered the weekly rental cost as opposed to the annual rental cost. The new result is roughly $8000 in claimables which is about what I expected

business808080
    Up

Im just thinking that when companies put up their employees who have traveled to work in a new place, they pay for a place for them to stay. So if you are an entrepreneur who works 24/7 for a company (which happens to be your holding company under which your ventures launch) couldn’t that company potentially pay for the entire rent/utilities?

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

I discussed this with my accountant, who I havent paid in 30 years, he suggested a figure of $ 120.00 per week for my desk space. Interesting.

Miss Bookkeeper
    • Total posts: 13
    Up
    business808080, post: 187401 wrote:
    One room would make up approximately 1/4 of an apartment, plus with additional claimable items, I figured the number would be close to 1/3. This site seems to support my claim:

“You can generally claim the same percentage of occupancy expenses as the percentage area of your home that is used to make income, and again one common way to work this out is to use the floor area put aside for work as a proportion of the floor area of your home as a whole (as can be used for some running expenses, as mentioned above). So if for example your home office is 10% of the total area, then you may be able to claim 10% of rent costs or mortgage interest, council rates, insurance etc. In some situations it may be necessary to adopt a basis other than floor area, for example where say a huge workshop attached to the home may take up a great amount of floor space but contribute much less to the value of the overall property.”

http://www.lewistaxation.com.au/business/business-deductions/tax-working-from-home

For you information – if you are running your business as a sole trader you may not be able to claim rent as a deduction.
    Deductions you can claim differ between sole traders and companies.
    If the PSI rule apples to your income, rent is not claimable.

http://www.ato.gov.au/General/Contractors/In-detail/Personal-services-income/Personal-services-income-for-sole-traders/?page=17

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.