Home – New Forums Starting your journey Renting a Home for Office Use

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    decryption
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

I’m starting a new business and need somewhere to operate it. It’s basically a bunch of nerds programming all day.

I’ve looked at a few offices and don’t really like the shared aspect (common eating areas, neighbours etc.). Ideally, a 3 bedroom house in the suburbs would be perfect (and cheaper). However, I’m not sure on the ability to use a rented house as a business premises. We wouldn’t be living there either.

Is it kosher to try rent a house to use as an office? Would it be up the landlord’s discretion, or are there things like zoning from the council that could get in the way? Would a landlord not want to rent it as an office vs. a home to live in and I’ll be laughed at and told to go away?

Any tips would be awesome :)

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

My local shire charges $67 per year to run an office from home, with no customer parking and no signage. Different rates apply depending on your use of the property.

It might be worth having a chat to your local real estate agent as to whether or not they think landlords would be interested in your proposal.

Another thing to consider, would you be leaving equipment (probably expensive equipment?) in an obviously unoccupied house overnight and during weekends? I would think you might find it difficult to get insurance cover for this?

It would be a great working environment though if you could get it :)

Wendy

decryption
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Thanks for the reply :)

It does seem to be up to the discretion of the landlord – might have some luck renting from the landlord directly, instead of via an agent (who might tell us to get lost as it’s too much hassle vs. a regular live-in tenant).

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

With home-based businesses, landlords are usually concerned about the increased wear and tear on their home that my occur.

For instance, if you sit on an office chair for 8+ hours a day and have customers and delivery people walking in and out all day, the carpet will wear out pretty quickly.

So if you go ahead, just be mindful to put their concerns to rest by assuring them that you will use chair mats and that no customers will be coming to the house etc.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.