Home – New Forums Other discussions Required skills for day to day management of your business?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    harvcam
    • Total posts: 19
    Up
    ::

Hello,

I am looking to start a small solo business soon and was just wondering what you think are the essential skills that are required to manage the day to day running of a small business?

Chris’s Signs
    • Total posts: 124
    Up

I believe the most important thing would be to know when you have spent too much time on the internet wasting time, and get back to work…lol… i know this first hand!! dam facebook…lol

AGMBris
    • Total posts: 319
    Up

Hi

Well there are so many but I think what has allowed me success;

– A passion for what you are doing, something that just gives you that “yes” inner voice about the business model you are going into, that was the first thing for me,

– A focus on creating a plan of attack. The business world can be so cluttered and you will find yourself having idea after idea. Stay focused on the important ones and more importantly, follow them through to completion!

– A financial ability, even it is a broad skeleton of accounting, you need to have control of cash flow and your finger on the pulse of every dollar that passes through your business. It does not take much to have enough knowledge but then bring in the expert as soon as possible. I am an accountant so I have been lucky with that but cannot instill enough the importance of considering the financial arm of your venture, weekly if not daily.

– Patience, unless you have an existing client base or income, it will take you time to build the venture to a level that funds your lifestyle. Be patient and keep your eye on the prize.

Good luck

AdvancedPetSitting
    • Total posts: 357
    Up

I believe that you need to have a broad understanding on how things work but you can not be the Jack of all trades. Outsource to the professionals. Focus on what you are good at and try to work on your business not in your business all the time.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

All of the above, plus;

A dash of rat cunning goes a long way.

Hard nosed when defending your financial interests.

Cheers

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

I think the most important skill for soloists and all people really is having the ability to absorb as much information as you can. You should never stop learning.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

First up is that you need to have that passion for your business, you’ll enjoy everything about your business if you are passionate about it and the know-how is not a difficult thing because your familiar with it.

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

I think the hardest part for me is learning how to effectively market myself. It is all well and good having the skills to do a job, but if you aren’t able to market yourself you won’t be very successful in the long run.

Leisa D
    • Total posts: 563
    Up

An ability to prioritise tasks AND make sure you do get around to those low priority ones – before the end of the week.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.