Home – New Forums Starting your journey research where to look

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    cathnniv
    • Total posts: 15
    Up
    ::

I will be selling my products through service stations and need figures for products sold this way.
    demographics of the customers buying via service stations etc, no standard govt census reports etc have this kind of info so i am lost as to where to look.
    Has anyone travelled this route before or maybe have an idea of where to start

George Trevino
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Hi Cathnniv:

I’m a market researcher and I can tell you that your idea is great, the service stations may be a great distribution channel if you select well what you want.

The problem I think you’ve got is that it lookis quite ambitous about knowing the selling figures of this distribution channel. Have you think about selecting only a small region to distribute your product? If you do so then you’ll be able to research on that small area and try to figure out your expectations about your project. How many product are you able to produce? Maybe you only need 10 or 20 or 50 service stations and you can try in your suburb first.

If you can produce an important quantity of your product then go and talk with a business manager of a medium size franchise or company.

The key here, I think, is that you have forst to geographically select the area you want to start before growing.

Let me know if this comment helps you about your idea.

Take care.

George

cathnniv, post: 17120 wrote:
    I will be selling my products through service stations and need figures for products sold this way.
    demographics of the customers buying via service stations etc, no standard govt census reports etc have this kind of info so i am lost as to where to look.
    Has anyone travelled this route before or maybe have an idea of where to start
    cathnniv
    Up

Hi George,
    I plan on starting in my own town and surrounds and gradually expanding from there 1st goal would be 20 servo’s.
    So i need to research the market for each town, city i am looking at you think?
    I found some usefull but basic info many years ago on service station shoppers and their buying patterns but it was not area specific

George Trevino
    Up

Hi Cath:

Then u can eresearch in only 5 or 6 servo’s of your own town, it’s not necessary to research on all, although the more u may research the better for u.

If u start researching in every city that would be crazy and you would never finish. Do it as practical as you need, the idea is to get essential information and realize if your business plan may be successful.

About the old and basic information you found u can use it as a guide.

The key issue is to be realistic and objective about it. Don’t confuse the information you get with your enthisiasm, they are separate things.

cathnniv
    Up

sounds easier at least.
    I must admit i have trouble being objective but hope the folk at the BEC can help see through that and steer me in the right path. I actually have 3 contacts in 3 seperate local service stations so will start there.
    I’m more worried my figures won’t be valid enough for a bank but again BEC can help here in sorting through the info and compiling it into appropriate sections, this way i will be kept on track and focus on what i need as opposed to what i want.
    I need to find a good accountant also.
    Thanks for the comments they always help me see clearer

George Trevino
    Up

Think it well about the bank, is not health to start a business with a debt. Try to find another financial sources (yours, your family and friends, neighbors). Try this at least for the beginning, then if you business succeed you could go to the bank for “expanding”, not for a starting, and maybe you may show nice figures to your banker.

cathnniv
    Up

i’m still trying this avenue also but with three kids lowish income not gonna happen, this is why i’ve been waiting years now to start, so given it will be a rather small debt i will be able to pay it back if it all goes south but my business plan will be based around this so will all fall into place i’m sure. It’s not the first business i’ve run on a low budget this one just takes more start up money to start correctly

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.