Home – New Forums Starting your journey resume writing service

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up
    ::

contemplating adding a resume writing service to my business but not sure whether or not there’s a big enough demand for such a service and if there is, then how much to charge. any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Robyn Writes
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    tonyk, post: 85347 wrote:
    contemplating adding a resume writing service to my business but not sure whether or not there’s a big enough demand for such a service and if there is, then how much to charge. any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Hi Tony,
    I currently outsource my services to other businesses on an as required basis for their clients. If you are interested in discussing this option, please feel free to email me [email protected]

CreativeCorrespondence
    • Total posts: 35
    Up

Resume and cover letter writing takes up a large proportion of my copywriting workload. I charge much less than others as I target school leavers and entry – mid level roles, and I just love helping people get a foot in the door who may be great at what they do, but need help selling themselves on paper. I also run this business on top of full time work, so I’m not in the business of making big dollars. I’m considering adding in different service levels though.

Keeta Nova
    • Total posts: 294
    Up

I love how writers can cover so many different projects.

I don’t do a lot of resume writing, but there is no reason why I can’t. I just don’t promote it.

I do believe that writing an effective resume requires a background in human resources or recruiting. Also, industry specific knowledge is always helpful. I have an education background and I doubt anyone outside of my field would have a clue what employers are looking for.

You also need to understand how employers read and receive resumes. Sending a resume to a small business is much different to sending one to a large recruiter.

Many jobs actually couldn’t care less about your resume. An online portfolio or blog is an emerging requirement for some media positions. One agency I work for didn’t want any proof of my employment history – they assessed me only on my ability to write one paragraph about shoes.

Other than that… there is no reason why you can’t write a good resume. If your clients like what you do, that’s all that matters.

HammockFG
    • Total posts: 136
    Up

As someone who has trolled through hundreds of résumés lately, that kind of service is definitely needed! I feel so sorry for some of these kids who have been applying for our admin job, because they will never get a job based on their résumé – they are so poorly written and explained.

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

I think the difficulty for me, as a potential employer is that if I see a resume that has been well articulated, overemphasised the skillset of the individual, and then when I meet them face to face, their characteristics do not meet that of the resume, I would not employ them anyway.

I would recommend looking at teaming up with some recruitment agencies, so that you can assist job seekers with their resume, whilst the agency preps them on interview skills.

I don’t think the payments for such services would be as high as general copywriting, but if you have downtime, $10 is better than $0 – unless that time was spent marketing services that earn you $40 ;)

I would never hire a resume writer, as I believe if I personally am unable to articulate my skills for the position I am applying for, I am not the right person for the job.

EmmaCondon
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

I believe that the one who should write the resume is the one who owns it. If your letting other people a simple thing like that for you, then it just proves that your unworthy for a job, as you can’t even define yourself and your skill set on your own.

No offense, but I don’t believe doing Resume writing as a business.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

I know a guy who did good business doing editing of university papers. He sold the business to go off and become and internet success story.

He assembled a range of people who were experienced degree-qualified people in the various topic areas.

Resume writing is a tough gig I reckon, and agree with others who have voiced the need for people to own their own – otherwise its a lie.

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up
    AgentMail, post: 85602 wrote:
    I think the difficulty for me, as a potential employer is that if I see a resume that has been well articulated, overemphasised the skillset of the individual, and then when I meet them face to face, their characteristics do not meet that of the resume, I would not employ them anyway.

I would recommend looking at teaming up with some recruitment agencies, so that you can assist job seekers with their resume, whilst the agency preps them on interview skills.

I don’t think the payments for such services would be as high as general copywriting, but if you have downtime, $10 is better than $0 – unless that time was spent marketing services that earn you $40 ;)

I would never hire a resume writer, as I believe if I personally am unable to articulate my skills for the position I am applying for, I am not the right person for the job.

contacted a few. hopefully something comes of it.

nicolecoggan
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Oh, I’ve done this and there is demand. I’ve written about the whole business over a 4 year period if you are interested. Might be a few things in there that can help you:)

You can have a look and see the exact figures and pricing I used here:

http://nicolejessicacoggan.com/a/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.