Home – New Forums Starting your journey Retail Rules

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    AquaGirl
    • Total posts: 112
    Up
    ::

Hey everyone

Is there a site or book that states certain rules about retail and any laws, from running the shop to advertising etc?

For example, for the swing-tags on garments where the back of it shows the price, should I get my own tags with the shop name on it, or keep the ones of the designers i will stock?
    The label names are sewn onto the garments of course, but not sure whether the tag needs to be the label as well, or the shop’s name?

Thanks
    Linda

sixx
    • Total posts: 333
    Up

Hi,

Lovemarks is a great book, it takes branding to the next level but I’m not sure it will answer your swing tag question.

I guess if you are promoting your shop as stocking items from particular designers, I would of thought you would leave the tags on.
    If you are trying to create an actual designer brand where you are using freelance designers for creations only, you may want to negotiate something with them whereby your brand is sewn into the garment (collar tag) and you would use your own swing tags.

Either way, they should all go in a bag with “your” shop name on it when sold.

AquaGirl
    Up

sixx, thanks for that i will look out for Lovemarks

beancounter
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

Hi Aquagirl, your question is very open-ended

Yes – this is Australia, and there’s rules and regulations for everything, and it seems, there’s more laws being passed every week that seem to make it harder for businesses to operate

There’s local government rules and regulations, there’s state and federal government rules and regulations – have a look at the office of fair trading website, or google “starting up a retail business”. Many state government websites have information about that sort of thing

The swing tag question – is that more of a marketing issue than a legal issue?

AquaGirl
    Up

hi beancounter

good advice.. thanks.

the swing tag question is both a legal and marketing question. some designers dont attach tags while some do… I’d prefer to have my shop name tag on all of them for consistency.
    Since the designers names or labels are sewn onto the garments, i thought it wouldnt be unethical to put the shop’s own swing tags.. however i wanted to make sure whether this was the right thing to do. I did see shops where they left the designers swing tags on but if its possible to have the shop’s tags id prefer that

cheers
    Linda

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.