Home – New Forums Starting your journey Retailer or shop at different brands?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    asap2004
    • Total posts: 36
    Up
    ::

I’m not sure I’m posting this in the right place, please let me know and I’ll move it.

I’m setting up a specialty online retail shoe store and I think I’m getting cold feet.

I’m trying to find out info on what the “point” of a retail store is.

In this niche there are probably only a handful of suppliers, each who manufacture their product but also retail it through their own website/storefront. However, the marketing in this niche leaves a lot to be desired and although each of the brands on their own are trying, I’d like to retail these brands and market it to a younger crowd in a fun and exciting manner.

Is this considered enough of a gap?? I’m struggling to work out what questions I could ask potential customers to understand if this is something they would appreciate. I’m offering a one-stop shop (ie, don’t need to shop around at different brands) in a fun way. Is this a competitive edge?

I’m sorry if this doesn’t make sense. I think you get a sense of how muddled my brain is right now.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi asap2004,

I think what your saying is you want to open an online store selling a few brands who you have identified are not marketing themselves well. You believe you can sell their product better than them. You think the potential of the products is greater than what is being leveraged by the manufacturers themselves.

If so I think its a perfectly viable scenario, but you need to have a clear and effective strategy on how your going to do it better. I think you need a very solid marketing plan or you could be lost in the sea of online stores making no sales on the web.

*edit.
    “More fun” is a start but how are you going to attract the clickers to experience the more fun.

Steve

Sydney Business
    • Total posts: 141
    Up

Just as Steve mentioned, your marketing plan is essential. A marketing plan will form part of your business plan and in turn confirm the viability of your idea.

Getting it all down on paper should give you an honest response to all the muddle in your head.

Not sure where you are located but I run NSW government subsidised workshops in Dee Why (Sydney’s Northern Beaches) for start up businesses. They are run an various other areas too so just go to – http://www.smallbusiness.nsw.gov.au to see where your local ones are run.

Tagntrade
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

Hey,

A great way to start and build a fan base is to start a store with another vendor or two! Ebay and us, http://www.tagntrade.com.au, offer a great way to get your wares out there without much cost (we are free to list)

But what this also means is that you can attempt to gain a base so that when you start your own you have a running head-start. Just make sure that you have something that your buyers can remember you by and try to start a mailing list.

Good luck

Tristan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.