Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Review my website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    martin.firth
    • Total posts: 259
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone!

It would be really appreciated if you could give me a few thoughts on my website.

The reason there is no portfolio at the moment is because I’ve only just restarted Embersketch. I can’t use my work from my last agency (which is a pain) and my work before that looks a little outdated now. Will have a few pieces up in a couple weeks :). I’m considering putting up a few sites that are designed, but not live yet… stay tuned :)

Other than that, let ‘er rip!

Cheers FS,

Martin – The Web Guy

James
    Participant
    • Total posts: 268
    Up

Hi Martin,

Looks good overall. A few minor thoughts:

• I wouldn’t worry about having outdated or unfinished work on there. Getting any examples up is important.
    • The link titles in the navigation aren’t very familiar or intuitive. It’s great to have a twist or a unique selling point for your business, but we have to know the plot before there can be a twist. Unless you have done some keyword research for ‘Website Cost’ I would change it to ‘Our Pricing’ or something similar. It doesn’t quite read right as is.
    • There are important pages of your site that are only accessible from the homepage. Make sure you get a deep footer navigation so these pages are accessible from any page. (Looking at Mobile, Blog specifically).
    • Re-think the URLs. /blog on every other website links to a blog, on yours it is about your Blog Creation or Blog Design. Change to blog-design.
    • The Guess What section is kind of dated, at least in my opinion. It is not relevant to your content so you might find it is actually detrimental to SEO. You would be better off feeding in your latest blog posts and introducing some humour and facts in those.
    • Get your phone number in a prominent position on every page. This is still how most leads come in from websites.
    martin.firth
    Up

Great advice! Thank you so much.

I’ve taken on board what you’ve said and made some changes. I’ll start work on my portfolio now, it will take me a few days to incorporate it into the site. Thanks again!

Martin

GregNunanAU
    • Total posts: 58
    Up

Hey nice site. I agree with everything James has contributed (nice work on such a details response James). For a consulting type site, I would be trying to build a list as well. Give away a free gift and get opt ins for an email list. Most people won’t buy immediately, so if you can keep in contact through your email list you will position yourself top of mind when they are ready to act. Or, if they go elsewhere, you can probably still make some affiliate sales through your email list.

All the best!

martin.firth
    Up

Thanks guys. I’m now making those three boxes display examples of work. The blog and mobile pages were only ever filler. I’ll also make a little box for people to subscribe in the bottom corner. I’ll let you know when that’s done.

NathanB
    Participant
    • Total posts: 775
    Up

Hi ES,

I like the design, very smooth. I really liked the “with a twist button”. I couldn’t escape and had to click. The quote on the the other side was brilliant. “Good design is obvious, great design is invisible.” If I was a customer, that probably would have put through an enquiry just to start a conversation.

There were a few things I didn’t like though and I think you could improve upon. I didn’t like the content in the About section. It came off as generic fluff and didn’t feel like a personal message.

I also think you improve upon the “what we do” section. For the most part, it was a just list of things, not things you actually do. I would amend the list to include items such as…

We create engaging designs.
    Turn traffic into conversion.
    Create loyal fans.

Other than that. Great site.

martin.firth
    Up

Thanks everyone for your advise! For those of you still subscribed to this thread, stay tuned, I’ll have an updated Embersketch for you to look at soon with your suggestions incorporated!

Stay cool

– Martin

NoBillsForever
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

Hi Martin:

No doubts…very clean design..no BS! but what got me writing:

– Confused with what you want me to do…call to action…

– Freelance….with happy twist – is subjective and ‘Freelance’ mentioning does not bring an extra value to you or visitor. I would rather put that ‘design Quote’ above your contact form …on my homepage. That would be enticing.

Once you have engaged..ask visitor to do…what you want them to…end of game!

Cheers

Chetan

martin.firth
    Up

Hi, thanks for your feedback and compliments.

The word happy is subjective yes, I like its use there. Freelance does mean lower overheads and extra value, at least where I’m from.

I did initially have a call to action on the homepage, but I thought it was too early. I don’t necessarily want people to decide whether they want a site from me after reading two sentences, I want them to explore and make the decision on their own. If someone wants my services, It doesn’t take a huge leap for them to contact me.

I’m torn between putting that design quote on the homepage or not. I love the quote. I’d like to hear what other people think

Thanks again

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

I love your site !!

My favourite part is the copyright…it really did make me lol

Wendy :)

martin.firth
    Up

Thanks Wendy, I do try to keep business as relationships as light as possible.

martin.firth
    Up

UPDATE

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your feedback so far. I’ve made a lot of changes to the site lately, please have a look and tell me what you think, or if you see any mistakes. A lot of you will recognise your advice in effect :)

To sum up some of the main things I’ve done:

• Used a pink colour as a contrast
    • Added some work samples
    • Rejigged to text to me a bit more sales-oriented
    • Implemented a newsletter subscription (footer)
    • A few other scattered bits and pieces

It would be great to hear what people think :)

Martin – The Web Guy

markn
    • Total posts: 103
    Up

I think your website is quite beautiful.

My only comment is that the whole thing offset slightly to the left when I click the HOME link up the top. Then the site shifts slightly to the right when I click on any other of the top links.

I am using Chrome 26.0 on Windows 7.

martin.firth
    Up

Thanks for the kind words markn.

I’m using the same specs as you, and I can’t replicate the problem. Is it the case that you have a giant screen, and that it’s the scrollbar appearing/disappearing which is causing the offset?

If not, would it be too much to ask for a bit more details about which parts are moving, or possible a screenshot?

Cheers

markn
    • Total posts: 103
    Up
    embersketch, post: 161630 wrote:
    Thanks for the kind words markn.

I’m using the same specs as you, and I can’t replicate the problem. Is it the case that you have a giant screen, and that it’s the scrollbar appearing/disappearing which is causing the offset?

If not, would it be too much to ask for a bit more details about which parts are moving, or possible a screenshot?

Cheers

Haha, you’re a lot smarter than me. Yes, I have a giant screen, it’s the scroll bar appearing and disappearing. Lovely looking website :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.