Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Review Our Ecommerce Website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Phillip P
    • Total posts: 254
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

My fiance has recently started an ecommerce site and with my marketing skills are pushing this out. Its been going since August and growing very quickly and very happy with the ROI.

The business sells iphone cases, ipad cases, Samsung galaxy s3 cases.

Would love to hear your thoughts and comments as we try expand and add a few more staff. The business is purely online.

The site is http://luxurycases.com.au

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

Overall – nice site. To say anything different would be picky I reckon.

Blue Jet
    • Total posts: 189
    Up

Hi Philip,

I like your website layout, navigation is great.
    I see on the top right you have written 100% Secure website :) what does that mean?

To have more people review your site perhaps is better if you copy and paste the below text:

1. What needs reviewing? (i.e. logo, website, idea etc…)
    2. What does your business do?
    3. Who is your target market?
    4. What specific concerns do you have?

All the best,
    Joey

James
    Participant
    • Total posts: 268
    Up

Hi Philip,

First I want to say this is one of the better eCommerce sites I have seen on here recently. The design isn’t flashy but very adequate and reasonably clean. All the basics of great sales sites are in there:

Free Delivery – So essential these days. If you run a store and don’t have free delivery you are losing haunting numbers of sales.

One Page Checkout – SUCH an amazing tool for conversion. Another absolute must for maximising profits.

Security & Trust Symbols – One of the customer’s biggest fears for online shopping is security. Getting trustworthy logos and reassuring statements in view is a big step to convincing them to buy from you.

Distinctive and Consistent Buttons – Showing the user exactly what you want them to do (Add to Cart) and teaching them to look for that colour button when they want to do something. I notice the buttons change when you get to checkout but I don’t think that is a huge issue as the buttons are clear enough.

Social Proof – Plenty of testimonials around, and a very cool one placed on the final checkout page. Helps people build trust again.

I’m sure there are other positives which I have missed, just wanted to note those for others who want to learn from your great example.

As for what you could be doing better:

1. Review the product page layout.

– The information layout is all wrong and will surely be horrible for conversions.

– Always remember the primary objective of the page is to educate the visitor about the product and convince them to add to cart.

– Reviews, social, comparisons and all that peripheral information can be pushed down the page.

– Get the Add to Cart button above the fold and as close to the content as possible, and make sure the price and Options drop downs are nearby. These are all part of one process so need to appear as such (1 choose option, 2 confirm price, 3 checkout).

2. Push for more leads with better email capture.

– Your email capture is hidden in the footer and even then the incentive is not clear.

– The signup incentive is much clearer on the product listings page, but then there is no email form in-situ. By asking people to go to another page to sign up, you may lose a considerable number of captures.

– I would think about a lightbox popup or popover of some sort. Something that appears to new visitors next to your Need Help? box or just appears over the content with a very distinct Cancel button. People don’t hate this as much as you think, and the number of emails you get is silly.

I’m sure there are a few other things that you could look at, but if you sort out the email capture and Product Details page, I think you will see sales go up considerably.

As a general note I think http://www.theiconic.com.au is one of the shining examples of eCommerce and conversion optimisation, so be sure to review their site in detail for inspiration and ideas.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to chat more.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    IncredibleCo, post: 147274 wrote:
    Overall – nice site. To say anything different would be picky I reckon.Then picky is what we shall be!

Seriously though, it’s a pretty good site.

There are some other suggestions here, so I will try not go over them again, namely the product page layout

1. The branding looks a little out of place in the rounded corner box when everything else is sharp square corners.

2. The add to cart button on the catalogue page doesn’t actually add anything to cart but takes you to the product page to choose options. Most eCommerce stores have this button called ‘View options’

3. The button change from square orange to green with rounded corners. Good idea to keep them consistent.

Good luck with it all!

Cheers,

Matt

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

From a consumer non design point of view, I think it looks fine.

Steve

Phillip P
    Up

Great input guys.

I have stage 2 coming in two weeks already developed on photoshop and yes very iconic.

Great information about product page and yes the copy also needs work i agree.

We are spending plenty on advertising and SEO lucky for me I do this through my agency so saves us a bit. We are looking to lift conversions to the 4% mark by March.

keep em coming… I dont mind picky… this is what i do but i found a major fault… When your too close to a project your thoughts get clouded.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

Great looking site and fantastic choice of shopping cart I believe ;)

I just two points

1) I disagree with the one page checkout always being a good thing. One of my clients recently disabled his one page checkout and his conversions went up.
    I think it’s to do with the fact that you want your checkout to be easy and one page checkouts *can* be slightly confusing.
    It depends on your market, obviously people shopping for mobile accessories will be quite tech savvy and may prefer a one page checkout.
    Anyway, it’s something you should be able to test quite easily on Magento by changing to the default checkout and seeing if completion rates go up in the reports. Test, test, test.

2) A couple of boring yet simple technical changes just to help speed up the site/reduce load which may help your Google ranking
    a) In your admin menu, go to System->Config
    Click on the Advanced/Developer tab
    Change the ‘merge javascript files’ and ‘merge css files’ to true. (see image)
    Check the site is still working 100% (you may need to flush the magento cache), the merge css files is still beta I believe.

b) Minify those javascript and css files. I use the online YUI compressor for this.

By minimising load and http requests, you should get a slightly better response speed which Google is using in its algorithm now, apparently.

javascriptmerge.jpg

Phillip P
    Up

Hi John,

We are in the process of moving everything onto a CDN. This should improve the site speed and help google. We are ranking well on SEO terms and our page quality score for ads is also very good. More speed more fun.

The onepagecheckout has out converted the multi-step checkout by a big amount. Im still using multi step on the mobile site.

Thanks for the awesome feedback.

JohnTranter
    Up
    Phillip P, post: 147343 wrote:
    The onepagecheckout has out converted the multi-step checkout by a big amount. Im still using multi step on the mobile site.

Interesting to hear, thanks for that; and good on you for actually testing.

JohnTranter
    Up

And since my last advice was already being covered, I’ll nitpick and suggest you add rich snippets to your product pages.
    http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com.au/2009/05/introducing-rich-snippets.html

But now you’ll tell me that’s part of stage 2 ;)

Phillip P
    Up

Yep i have been doing strategy for many years for many agencies and big businesses. Testing and split testing and split testing the split test is my middle name.

JohnTranter, post: 147346 wrote:
    Interesting to hear, thanks for that; and good on you for actually testing.
    Phillip P
    Up

John i like the rich snippets idea very good.. Ill put that into part 3 of layout :)

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up

Yay, finally a clean, nicely done ecommerce site to review! :)

To be picky…

The logo/branding could be improved, looks a little rushed/cheap when compared to the rest of the site.

And in this day and age, a new site and with the audience you’re targeting, it really should be responsive. Unless it has a mobile specific version I’m not seeing on my laptop?

Phillip P
    Up

Agree on all points about logo.. Part 2 is has professional logo :)

And it has a mobile version. App is in development for apple and andriod. Even though i do prefer to have it responsive. We have to many variant tests happening and dont want to break it :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.