Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Reviewing Aussie Pin – Australia’s First ‘Pinterest Styled’ site

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    AussiePin.com.au
    • Total posts: 26
    Up
    ::

Dear Flying solo entrepreneurs,

I’ve just started an exciting project – http://www.AussiePin.com.au. I’ve taken advantage of the rising popularity of Pinterest.com in America, and bring the same idea to Australian soil. It’s Australia’s First ‘Pinterest Styled’ site.

For more information on the site, visit the site, or the introduction thread: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/new-member-introduce-yourself/20046-aussie-pin-australias-first-pinterest-style-site-australian-pinterest-australia.html

What I’d like to know, is how popular Aussie Pin would get in Australia? Taking the idea from Pinterest.com, only a low 1.8% of it’s users are from Australia, and not too many people in Australia have heard of Pinterest, although the internet savvy would have heard of the name by now.

The idea of creating a similar site to Pinterest for Aussies, stems from acknowledging the idea of providing a service more targeted for the Australian public. Big Australian businesses have been using the free publicity on Pinterest to interact with it’s users there.

Aussie Pin provides an avenue for those who are business savvy (Aussie Pinning for marketing purposes), and for those who are not (everyday Aussie Pinners). Our solution are targeted and relevant to members based in Australia.

Forum marketing is only one aspect of advertising. I like the idea of banner adverts, and will implement that very soon, on a few popular Australian sites. I could most likely be accepted for free publicities as well, on local newspapers, along with other marketing strategies.

I would like suggestions on how to have solid results on the marketing strategies, and also suggestions on improving the website.

Love to hear from all sides of views. Thank you!

David K.

SavvySME
    • Total posts: 201
    Up

Welcome! Great idea! Where is Australia are you from?

Astrid
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

Hi David

I would be more interested in what Pinterest says that you’ve copied the look and the wording of their page close to 100%?

Cheers
    Astrid

AussiePin.com.au
    Up

Hi SavvySME,

Thanks I’m from Melbourne. Feel free to join and ‘Aussie Pin’ pictures or videos for backlinks to your site. All of our external links are do-follow.

Hi Astrid,

Thanks for your feedback, but I don’t know where you get the calculation close to 100% from. We copied the layout, layouts cannot be copyrighted, the same with tangible ideas. If you happen to look at sex dot com, a big company like that, copies the layout from pinterest as well.

The medias, logo, wordings, are different.

There are no infringements, at all, compared to the original site.

Do you think if someone created a website similar to flying solo, but under different logo, and wordings, flying solo could sue the company? Of course not. The same goes to facebook, if someone created a site with a similar layout to facebook, that does not hold any grounds for infringement.

The only infringement a company could sue one for is copying/stealing the original script/coding the site uses. And, for operating under the intention to mislead visitors to think it’s the original site.

(none of the above mentioned have been infringed)

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Hi,

My question is, why would anybody use a purely Aussie based pinning site?

I could see it working in different niches, but the only niche here is locality. You relying on people using it because they would prefer an ‘Aussie’ site, which is not how social media works.

Astrid
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

Hi David
    Ok, if you say so. I just found it quite confusing, looking at almost the same style as on the original Pinterest site.

On your other question, I wouldn’t use it on top of Pinterest. I use Pinterest mainly for inspiration, more for personal use and less for my own marketing. I can’t see a benefit in an entirely local site. Internationality and diversity is what makes Pinterest interesting for me.

Cheers,
    Astrid

Nikita
    • Total posts: 120
    Up

>>> What I’d like to know, is how popular Aussie Pin would get in Australia?

From my personal experience the population of Australia is not big enough for local social media websites – no matter how hard you try (only 22m). Plus English is an international language and cloning another successful English website is just a waste of time. However, cloning existing sites is not such a bad Business idea for other countries. For example, in Russia (141m) we have vk.com – the clone of Facebook – started in 2006 – 290 million users. That’s a big business.

Another example – After the first month of launching Pinterest in the US we also had a clone – Pinme.ru – localised version, however i don’t think it will take off – Pinterest is based on images, images don’t require any words written in any language.

I believe that you need to come up with the unique idea and make it work here first and then globally. BTW, Australia is the perfect place for testing ideas.

My Wedding Concierge
    • Total posts: 109
    Up

Firstly, you should probably have posted this in the reviews section so you could get a better response…

Also I really have to agree with the other posters… Regardless of copyright infringements applying or not, the fact that it looks basically identical to Pinterest will get some people off-side from the get go. I think even if you styled it slightly differently it would be better. Having the buttons, layout, and from what I saw the functions basically the same as Pinterest just feels like a copycat job trying to cash in on the success of the original innovator.

Aside from that I just can’t see why I would want to stop using the REAL pinterest, just so I can use one that’s marketed locally… Why would I want to shut myself off from all of the interesting things that are happening worldwide, just so I can only look at things in Australia?

I know that shortly after Pinterest launched there was another very similar service called Gentlemint, which is basically the same thing however it’s marketed towards men instead of women. Even though it could be argued that this is a copycat attempt too, they’ve styled it differently and it looks unique enough to be attractive to people.

In my oppinion I think if you’re going to have success with this you need to make yours look distinctly different, so that people don’t just automatically associate it with “the real deal – Pinterest”, and also have a really strong selling point for why a local Pinterest would actually be better than a world wide pinterest.

If someone came up to me and said told me that there was this new thing exactly like facebook, but it was only for Australia, there would be no way I would be interested in it, because the whole point is that it connects everybody, so aside from the other issues, I’m not sold on the Australian Pinterest concept.

pix2print.com.au
    • Total posts: 178
    Up

Hi David,

I haven’t looked at your site yet so I won’t make any comments on infringement or not…

I wanted to let you know there might be a market in Australia for your site, but that is purely from my business point of view. As my business only targets the Australian market as a business I am interested in using an Aussie based pinterest site. However, on a personal note I don’t know why I would use an Aussie site over a worldwide site. As a person I don’t care if somebody follows my boards from whatever country, as a business I would like to see as many re-pins and followers from Australia only as that is my market.

Good luck with your business, I will check it out!

Cheers,
    Jude

AussiePin.com.au
    Up
    novnik, post: 120678 wrote:
    >>> What I’d like to know, is how popular Aussie Pin would get in Australia?

From my personal experience the population of Australia is not big enough for local social media websites – no matter how hard you try (only 22m). Plus English is an international language and cloning another successful English website is just a waste of time. However, cloning existing sites is not such a bad Business idea for other countries. For example, in Russia (141m) we have vk.com – the clone of Facebook – started in 2006 – 290 million users. That’s a big business.

Another example – After the first month of launching Pinterest in the US we also had a clone – Pinme.ru – localised version, however i don’t think it will take off – Pinterest is based on images, images don’t require any words written in any language.

I believe that you need to come up with the unique idea and make it work here first and then globally. BTW, Australia is the perfect place for testing ideas.

Hi novnik,

I’ve heard of pinme.ru and vk.com before :) I’ve checked pinme.ru and their alexa is on 10k globally, which isn’t too bad..

You’re right about what you said, but I have my reasons for doing what I do :)

I’m actually going to Russia for a holiday end of this month! It’d be my first time in Russia, will be staying in st Petersburg and Moscow, then flying to other European countries.

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

Why don’t you want to be original?

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi David

Seen your post 3 weeks ago (when posted) and did not want to enter into the conversation as there are many more broad minded individuals and accredited peeps to indulge on this thread..

Personally, i dont mind a local based pinterest to zone in on the ‘limited’ market australia represents.. although this is not why i post..

I am very curious if you have had any feedback from intellectual property experts re all this? you sound quite knowledgeable on infringements in design and styling (i certainly am not so i say that upfront).. Pushing the boundaries, my query is more centering on you Logo.. The red pin with the white kangaroo in it… i would be curious if Qantas would be interested in seeing this logo and identifying if it is potentially encroaching upon there rights to this image??? not saying it is, as i am no expert, but you may want to look into this as well..

Only cos Qantas are such a large well known aussie brand that they may feel you are leveraging the deep seated love most of us have with this brand (as does rain man, and maybe tomcat – oops tom) and the fact it is an Aussie icon.. Especially since the colors are similar and such…

Look forward to your developments..

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Liam Campbell
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

I find these types of ideas for start ups quite frustrating.

Should I start an Aussie Facebook? No.

As a previous poster stated, this is not how it works. Where is the value in having an Australian version of Pinterest? Is it tied to some local service? Does it offer something Pinterest doesn’t? It only works if it provides some value Pinterest doesn’t, which can only be that it’s tied to location, which I don’t see working on your site.

Please don’t take my comments the wrong way, but I think your efforts would be better spent coming up with something original. I would love to see a great social media site that originated in Australia.

I understand that sometimes this works. Sites like Pozible might be viable alternatives to Kickstarter for example, when such sites take a while to reach the Australian market. But an Australian Pinterest is not going to work unless you are solving a problem that Pinterest doesn’t solve. And as I see it the biggest problem you have is that Australian’s are on Pinterest already.

marnieb
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

I have to agree with the majority of previous posters, I’m sorry to say. Even if you believe you’ve found your way around any possible infringement issues, doesn’t it bother you that you’re using (a nice way of saying stealing) someone else’s original idea? Just curious, as I know I couldn’t do it personally.

AdoriaPhotography
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

I agree with all the previous posters with similar concerns regarding making the site too much like Pinterest to offer anything original. It needs something original other than being local. It is a great idea to go local, though I think it may take some time to get enough local content to make it really worthwhile.
    I know there needs to be a revenue stream for any business, but I find it a big turn off when I go to a website that automatically opens pop up windows with inappropriate or non-targetted advertising.
    I’d also be very careful using the word “Pinterest” in any text on your website or blogs like this that promote it as you might attract some unwanted trademark attention.

Adoria Photography – Lifestyle photography in the Sydney Hills district.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.