Home – New Forums Other discussions Roles and Salary of a CEO

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    nev
    • Total posts: 57
    Up
    ::

I’m just wondering if someone could answer this for me

The Tenpin Bowling association is looking for a new CEO as the last one Quit(I think) (See here)
    As a Tenpin Bowler I know the Association and the sport is in a mess and in my opinion they need someone in a position that knows the sport not just knows how to run an organization.

But the salary of 100k seems to me be a bit lite on
    Or is it??

I know the person is the Figure head of the organization but what is the real role of the CEO.

Melinda B
    • Total posts: 349
    Up

That might be all the Assoc can afford and has budgeted for. If you want to apply but feel it’s not sufficient renumeration then you could either try and negotiate a better package or decide it’s not worth your while applying.

The Ten Pin Bowling Assoc has probably been affected by the GFC just like all other businesses….

nev
    • Total posts: 57
    Up
    Melinda_B, post: 31463 wrote:
    That might be all the Assoc can afford and has budgeted for. If you want to apply but feel it’s not sufficient renumeration then you could either try and negotiate a better package or decide it’s not worth your while applying.

The Ten Pin Bowling Assoc has probably been affected by the GFC just like all other businesses….

No I would be happy with half of that but I assume others wouldn’t

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    nev, post: 31456 wrote:
    I know the person is the Figure head of the organization but what is the real role of the CEO.
    I far as I am aware, the CEO is the boss, all problems end up on their desk. You run the organization day to day, hour to hour.

I guess the salary depends on the budget of the organisation.

Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up
    nev, post: 31456 wrote:
    I’m just wondering if someone could answer this for me

The Tenpin Bowling association is looking for a new CEO as the last one Quit(I think) (See here)
    As a Tenpin Bowler I know the Association and the sport is in a mess and in my opinion they need someone in a position that knows the sport not just knows how to run an organization.

But the salary of 100k seems to me be a bit lite on
    Or is it??

The person doesn’t need to Know the sport… they just need to be able to ask what has happened to the sport and innovate from there

You are only going to buy someone looking for a job for $100k

You need someone with energy, vision and passion

If your budget is tight offer $100k + staged incentives but be careful because you still open the door with the initial $100k to a lot of time wasters

CruzAccountant
    • Total posts: 195
    Up

I agree with Warren, you don’t need to know the sport to be the CEO. You’ll need good direction, leadership and motivation to drive the vision you have for the business. Experience and contacts/networks are also favoured highly.

With regards to it being $100k, you’ve got to look at the size of the organisation. I can’t imagine Ten Pin Bowling assiciation being that big, and a salary of $100k may be on par with the size of the organisation.

Steven Hudson
    • Total posts: 122
    Up

Hello Nev

I’m with Richard on this one, but $100k seems a bit light on for a CEO.

However I would be prepared to be the CEO for the FFA for $100K PA and as Warren indicated as a requirement I would bring “energy, vision and passion”. However I think Frank Lowy and Ben Buckley might have something to say about that. And the pay packet.

Nev maybe the bigger the sport the bigger the pay packet……… ummmm the bigger the sport is in relationship to the TV coverage that is…….otherwise the netball CEO would be earning…………………….

Cheers

Steven

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

The Australian Institute of Management does a survey evry year or so with salaries and salary packages for CEO Australia wide. I believe it can be purcheased for a small fee

James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up

Yes it completely depends on the scale the organisation which in turn dictates the scale of responsibilities and risk. As a board member you take on other financial risk (Corporations Act and Civil law as an officer of the company) – especially so for the CEO / MD.

If you have teams of employees and departments / resources under you then your operational capabilities and detailed operational knowledge may be less important. Alternatively if you are expected to run a small group of staff as their active operational leader, create dynamic strategy yourself and then deliver each part of it then that’s different (but probably equally intensive, albeit in a different way with different skills).

In any case a $100k package with no incentive program is not much for all of that. There are plenty of skilled jobs in middle management paying that sort of salary with none of the risk and burden of a CEO position.

As a note for some “non profits” – there are FBT concessions that can make after tax package values far greater than they otherwise seem. It’s changed a little now but hospitals were a monty for this. We’ve had executives from large hospitals packaging massive percentages of their income as non taxable benefits – effectively doubling the after tax result (which means a salary of $300k is really equivalent to a salary of $500k in the private sector). I think the FBT concessions are actually designed to keep salary pressure down in these organisations as they often don’t have the resources to be competitive in recruiting top executives. Check if the bowling organisation is eligible for any FBT concessions and this will make a world of difference to the aparent package.

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.