Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Sales Agent in fashion/beauty area

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    saray
    • Total posts: 11
    Up
    ::

Hi all,
    Hoping you can point me in the right direction! I have two products (One I licence here in Australia, the other I manufacture myself) that I’m trying to get distribution for. One is a high heel product that crosses fashion and beauty somewhat (it would have the same distribution network as Part Feet though is a different product) as well as podiatrists. The other is a hair accessory so is squarely in the beauty arena.

After doing it myself for some time I’ve come to a decision that I’m better off spending my limited time marketing the product and letting an agent manage the sales/ distribution. Three reasons – 1, my strength is not in this area nor is my background so I don’t have the contacts or relationships and 2, a lot of retailers are reluctant to take on board a small number of products from one company due to the hassle They’d rather get a whole lot of product from one company it seems which I understand. And 3, I just don’t have the time to do everything. I’m sure we’re all familiar with that!

I’m just not sure where to start given the diversity of the products. I’ve found a few fashion agents but from my experience the shoe product doesn’t really sit squarely in fashion as it’s functional as opposed to fashionable. I’ve googled around a bit as well but the companies I’ve found seem to be both the distributor and the agent. As far as where I’d like to see my products Chemists are an obvious choice as both products would work in this environment. Specialty shops like Hairhouse Warehouse and Price Attack would be great for the hair product. Shoe shops for the shoe product are also obvious. There are also the bigger players like Kmart, Priceline, Target (who I’ve been in contact with and while interested I suspect they’re reluctant based on being a two product company).

I know I’ll have much smaller margins than if I go direct but a small margin on something is better than a large margin on nothing!

If anyone here knows of a business (or is a suitable business!) that would take on board these products as an agent I’d love to hear from you!

These are the two products:

http://www.alldayheels.com.au/what-are-insolia-all-day-heels.html

http://spinnacles.com.au/#!/123-2/

Thanks,
    Sara

themobilebillboardco
    • Total posts: 75
    Up

Hi Sara,

I’d really suggest you make those in-roads yourself … as there will be no better sales person than yourself.

I know you haven’t specifically asked for that advice… but I think apart from hiring a sales person, you just won’t get someone who has the drive to make your product succeed.

All the best

JR

PS: Oh and by the way, that Spinnacle website is very difficult to view in my opinion

saray
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Hi JR,

Thanks for the feedback. I totally agree with you. And I have actually done so to date. Problem is I need about seven of me. Something has to give and I will have to outsource something. Just part of growing I guess!

I have a strong background in advertising, marketing and PR so it just makes sense that I outsource the thing that I’m not as good at. It would be crazy for me to outsource the stuff that is my strength. Plus I really think I could benefit from a company with existing relationships and it would obviously help with the hurdle of the bigger companies who won’t deal with me because I have too few products.

Agree with you on the Spinnacles website. Something I knocked up myself in a day but am looking to combine both websites into one umbrella for my whole brand, just need the find the time (the usual dilemma!). However your feedback has made me think it needs to be a bit of a priority.

Cheers,
    Sara

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.