Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Sales and marketing tips for newbies?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    [Former] FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    ::

Hi folks,

I’m pulling together some resources to help newbie soloists get started with their sales and marketing, and would love your input.

• What did you wish you knew about sales and marketing when you started out? (Or, if you’re just starting out now, what do you wish you know now?)
    • What sales and marketing activities have been the most valuable for your business?
    • Is there anything you wish you hadn’t wasted your time and/or money on?

Any other general sales and marketing advice that you’d like to contribute will also be most welcome! :)

Thanks heaps,
    Jayne

Gordon Akman
    • Total posts: 229
    Up

Hi Jayne,
    I’ll kick things off in the context of starting a small business online with no/very little capital and just a pocket full of rocks…

1. Get a free Google Local Business (Now called Google Places) listing. Search Google for other free business listings. Spend less time discussing the value of the multitude of business listings like True Local, HotFrog, Gumtree, Aussieweb etc and just take the couple of minutes it takes to fill out a free business listing. Also, joining a few relevant forums that allow you to put your company name or website in your profile never hurt either.

2. Consider using Google Adwords. If you are clueless about it and don’t want to research it consult somebody who has a reasonable understanding of it. Google Adwords is the single greatest Sales/Marketing/Advertising tool for small online businesses in the history of humankind.

3. Social Media is not for lazy people. Be active. It’s easy to link your various social media accounts so when you post on one it automatically gets posted on the other ones (obviously this method saves a lot of time and gets you the widest coverage/potential audience).

4. Take pride in your website and make it how you want to. In the end you want everything to come together into one company – website, sales and marketing campaigns, social media/connecting with/growing your audience/customer base. This can be done with some of your wages from an existing job or just a few thousand dollars and then using your revenue to build your business up slowly. If you would rather be one of those status quo, indebted, wage slave, financially dependent mice that the world already has plenty of I probably can’t help you…

DanielM
    • Total posts: 241
    Up

Great initiative Jayne! I look forward to reading some of the responses.

Ashman
    • Total posts: 78
    Up
    FS Concierge, post: 117177 wrote:
    Hi folks,

I’m pulling together some resources to help newbie soloists get started with their sales and marketing, and would love your input.

• What did you wish you knew about sales and marketing when you started out? (Or, if you’re just starting out now, what do you wish you know now?)
    • What sales and marketing activities have been the most valuable for your business?

Any other general sales and marketing advice that you’d like to contribute will also be most welcome! :)

Thanks heaps,
    Jayne

When starting out online I wish I knew the importance of selecting the right keyword domain name to give your website the best chance of ranking well on the search engine results pages.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

dan kennedy’s uncensored sales strategies

ari galper’s unlock the game

kenrick cleveland’s selling to the affluent.

dan kennedy’s magnetic marketing (it’s about selling).

dan kennedy’s diamond luxury membership.

Jay abraham’s protege course or at least his books.

Neil Rackham – Spin Selling (large / complex sales)

these items combined are worth more than any uni degree.

Cats
    • Total posts: 85
    Up
    Hi folks,

Thanks heaps,
    Jayne

Hi Jayne,

Oh my goodness, where do I start???:D

Seriously, I could have made life a whole lot easier for myself if I’d known then what I know now.

I do wish I’d known that magazine advertising is not the best way to go and it can be an absolute waste of money. Marketing dollars are probably better spent with SEO.

I do think it is important to have someone to go to in order to absorb extra encouragement if you ever have times of feeling down and if you don’t have that support, then maybe as Khalid suggested, Dan Kennedy can provide some inspiration. Not forgetting FS of course and the wonderful connections you can make on here with honest advice.

Catherine :)

Vilson
    Participant
    • Total posts: 184
    Up

Hi Jayne,

Nice post and most of the people get confuse with how to promote Business with Marketing. Even i have same Questions, how to Boost the sales.

I say we can consider three steps..

1 : Try for Free resource like Social marketing,Email marketing etc..
    2: If first will not works then Go for SEO, PPC, ADs on website etc.
    3: If Second will not works then Go for paper Advertising or Radio or Broadcasting etc..

If all not work, then ask to me..hahah

Create Online Test or Quiz on ScoreBell
    Anonymous
    Up

Thanks everyone :)

Please keep your suggestions coming!

Cheers,
    Jayne

spinninghill
    • Total posts: 345
    Up

My number 1 thing I wish I’d learnt from the get go –> Tell people why they need your product or service. Don’t try and tell them what your product / service is first. The what should follow.

Anonymous
    Up

Hi all,

I’m still working on this project, and wondered if anyone else has any tips for newbies to add to this fine collection?

Cheers,
    Jayne

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

I have some ideas on increasing participation and quality of contribution but i want to have a better understanding of your project.

If you’d like to have a 15min – 20min chat, just pm me with your number and a time tomorrow and i’ll give you a ring.

FS Concierge, post: 118486 wrote:
    Hi all,

I’m still working on this project, and wondered if anyone else has any tips for newbies to add to this fine collection?

Cheers,
    Jayne

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

Relationships trump marketing strategy. The end :)

That said, marketing strategy is still necessary, but the core to every business should be about building genuine, quality relationships with suppliers and customers.

yourvirtualboard
    • Total posts: 569
    Up
    TheGoldenGoose, post: 118492 wrote:
    Relationships trump marketing strategy. The end :)

That said, marketing strategy is still necessary, but the core to every business should be about building genuine, quality relationships with suppliers and customers.

Isn’t building relationships a big part of marketing strategy?

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

Hi Jayne,

I answered most of these questions a while back here.

But to add to that some general sales advice most of what I learned about sales I learned from dad and he doesn’t even realise it:

My old dad has only ever really fully applied himself to one thing and that is fishing. He represented England and won many international championships in his younger days and now in retirement here in Australia he annually cleans up the trophies at the RSL fishos club. Now I hate fishing but I know what makes my dad good.

• He decides what fish he is after.
    • He learns about them, where they hang out, what they like to eat, what baits other people have had success with.
    • He learns continuously by watching TV programs, reading magazines and books.
    • He learns what the best bait will be for a particular occasion and then invests heavily in just the right bait.
    • He doesn’t stuff a worm on a hook he presents the bait in a way that will be attractive to the fish.
    • He prepares his equipment thoroughly in advance.
    • He learns from what didn’t work.
    • He is as happy in rough seas as calm ones.

So that is how you catch lots of fish with a single line or you can be like mega brands and invest in a trawler.

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up
    yourvirtualboard, post: 118499 wrote:
    Isn’t building relationships a big part of marketing strategy?

It can be, but doesn’t have to be.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.