Home Forums Marketing mastery sales rep commissions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    alexxx
    • Total posts: 7

We are planning to hire a sales rep on a commission only basis to sell building materials.

What commissions should we pay him and what are average commissions in the industry?

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889

Hi again Alexxx,
    Thanks for getting involved in the threads! I’m not sure if there’d be a standard commission (would likely depend on margins/volumes etc) but hopefully some people in the sales and/or building industry might have some insights for you when they get back online this week.
    Cheers
    Peter

fmgindustries
    • Total posts: 6

Hi alexxx,

I am in the same boat , I am looking for a commission sales rep. In my industry (paint and hardware) the commission is normally 10% of monthly sales.

Most commission reps want an already established portfolio so they have a starting commission base.

Regards
    Frank

alexxx
    • Total posts: 7

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your reply. Have you had any success in finding commission only sales reps?
    I have posted an ad on SEEK but response has not been great so far.

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641

Commission only is only as good as the ability for a decent sales person to earn a decent pay for their efforts. The great sales people around town are already getting a fantastic base and bonus so your commission only idea needs to be razor sharp attractive and realistically achievable otherwise you are simply setting people up to fail like a good pyramid scheme.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485

Any sales rep going on commission only, is going to want a very good commission rate to cover any down time, also they are going to want to know that you have a VERY solid product to sell. No one is going to want to running around trying to sell a questionable product, with no guarantee of some return.

Jason Ramage
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,161

Jeez, i have been looking for a good commission only rep for years.. They all appear to have jobs already :(

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: hello@lucasarthur.net.au   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.