Home – New Forums Marketing mastery sales staff

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Nomadcss
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

Hi All,
    I run a small software design business and we have developed over the last 2 years or so a point of sale system designed for cafes.

We have a few customers but are clearly wanting to reach further with the product. We were thinking of getting staff to go cafe to cafe to sell the product.

first off is this an ideal way to generate good leads? also what kind of pay and structure should this be on?

we haven’t go heaps of spare money (in fact just barely) so hiring a person would be risky if they didn’t perform and sell fast enough/enough to cover their own wage.

I have had job in the past that were commission only but i don’t believe in that nor did i like it so i figure others wouldn’t.

Any ideas on this? all feedback is welcome

if you wish to see the product please head to http://www.nomadcss.com.au/novus.php

Omega BCS
    • Total posts: 19
    Up
    Nomadcss, post: 181464 wrote:
    Hi All,
    I run a small software design business and we have developed over the last 2 years or so a point of sale system designed for cafes.

We have a few customers but are clearly wanting to reach further with the product. We were thinking of getting staff to go cafe to cafe to sell the product.

first off is this an ideal way to generate good leads? also what kind of pay and structure should this be on?

we haven’t go heaps of spare money (in fact just barely) so hiring a person would be risky if they didn’t perform and sell fast enough/enough to cover their own wage.

I have had job in the past that were commission only but i don’t believe in that nor did i like it so i figure others wouldn’t.

Any ideas on this? all feedback is welcome

if you wish to see the product please head to http://www.nomadcss.com.au/novus.php

Hi Nomad,

There is no ideal way to generate lead, god I wish there were! But with your product it’s not a bad way, door to door selling that is.

While I don’t like commission only myself, it is an effective motivator. There are ways to make it more effective and such as a bonus for getting contacts of other businesses during a visit/call and accelerators for over achieving targets . Guaranteed commission for the first x-months will also help get you a salesperson.
    The other thing to consider here is the type of person you are after, they’re what we call a hunter, they are in it for the fun of the chase and the thrill of closing the deal. Money is important to them but so is being noticed and praised for achievement, there’s a reason most sales people are portrayed as being arrogant and over the top in movies, we are really like that sometimes!
    But my point is that real hunters don’t mind being on commission only, they thrive on the pressure to perform.

So it is a good option for a small business but there is back end work for you, they need targets and potential clients. They are the arrow but you have to tell them where to hit.

Another approach you should consider is talking to your existing clients, I have worked with restaurant owners before and they all know each other. Get them on-board and get them to sell to their friends for you, make recommendations or just get them to tell their mates you will be in-touch. A potential client that knows you are coming is 10x more receptive than the one you have just walked in on.
    Offer the your clients a years free support upgrade or a reduction on licening next renewal if they refer someone and they buy. You get to retain the existing customer for an extra year because they feel they’re getting a discount and you get a new customer! :D

I hope that helps!

Nomadcss
    Up

Thanx so much for the reply.

It helps me and thats a good thing lol.

OK so if commission only can be a good thing any tips on finding these great hunters that are willing to work on commission only?

I like the idea of customers referring me to their friends, I think some will work out this way. we offer the product on a license basis so you are spot on there with keeping the client.

I wish this stuff was earier, sign here, all your products get infoed to all cafes to review, done lol

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up

After 15 years of selling software – in a more traditional environment – then starting my own ecommerce business, I believe there is a better way.

I believe that setting up a good internet sales and marketing plan, which spearheads how to attract the right kind of leads to your business, and then how to close them, is a better way than hiring sales staff to call on businesses directly.

Get social media, internet advertising and other mechanisms working for you, and then save the sales staff for the final piece of the sales puzzle. They are too expensive to be prospecting, they should be closing.

Nomadcss
    Up
    Jenny Spring, post: 181509 wrote:
    After 15 years of selling software – in a more traditional environment – then starting my own ecommerce business, I believe there is a better way.

I believe that setting up a good internet sales and marketing plan, which spearheads how to attract the right kind of leads to your business, and then how to close them, is a better way than hiring sales staff to call on businesses directly.

Get social media, internet advertising and other mechanisms working for you, and then save the sales staff for the final piece of the sales puzzle. They are too expensive to be prospecting, they should be closing.

Thank you for this, any chance you could help in guiding me to a good marketing plan? :) I have no real exposure to this side of business and would be wasting heaps of money trying bits and pieces (money I dont really have yet)

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

I agree with Jenny plus it may be worth looking into any nearby networking groups via Meet-up or similar that are likely to have your type of client at them.

You may just need to do more leg work yourself as the business owner.

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    Nomadcss, post: 181521 wrote:
    Thank you for this, any chance you could help in guiding me to a good marketing plan? :) I have no real exposure to this side of business and would be wasting heaps of money trying bits and pieces (money I dont really have yet)

Hi

Yes — but nothing for free is going to help – in my experience.

The funds you had allocated to hire sales people, I’d recommend you use part of those to reduce the hours of the sales people, and divert into online marketing to draw people into your business.

What you really need is a sales funnel with many of the steps being achieved through online marketing, then as the qualified prospect move toward the end of the funnel, send out the sales people. Or do an online software presentation.

I sold high-end software in the USA for 10 years, and you’d be amazed at how much you can do online before you actually see a person face to face. One of my biggest deals was $1.6M and I did most of it via phone and webinars before we even had a face-to-face presentation.

Its all about managing your resources, your time, and leveraging the internet successfully.

Also, your cafe owners will not want to be interrupted in their day. My brother is a restuaranteur, and trying to reach him via cold calling would be disastrous. But I know how to reach him using the right social media and internet marketing tools.

I hope this helps…

Jenny

Emotional Driven Selling
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

Hey!

H&L would be one of your competitor. I am aware that they have 5 sales staff with base + commission.

How about you doing the business development yourself?

Kumar Guru

Nomadcss
    Up

Hi All,

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanx for all the feedback. Its all greatly appreciated.

Seems I need to come up with the right mix of direct and online sales :) guess its a matter of trial & error.

again thanx

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.