Home Forums Starting your journey Same ABN number?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Markbas
    • Total posts: 4

Hi all,

I’m new here. Already searched the forum but just want to ask something specific.

I’m a graphic designer and I had an ABN until 4 years ago (2011) when I deactivated/canceled it due to my Visa requirement. Today I’m under different Visa which allows me to have ABN. So I called ABR about re-activating my ABN, they said they can’t help since the deactivation was 4 years ago, so I have to go through the web application.

On the web application, I mentioned that I had ABN previously and after I finished with the application I received a ref #. I read on the ABR web that if they gave me ref # it means that they will check my application manually and it can take 20-28 days.

The problem now is that I have several new clients that I need to send invoices to. So my question is, if ABR re-activate my ABN, would it be my old ABN? I read that ABN stays with you forever. So if that’s the case, I can just put my old ABN to my invoice, since I mentioned on the application that I will conduct business today (02/10) anyway.

Any comments or suggestions will be highly appreciate.

Thanks

Mark

Trent
    • Total posts: 68

Call the ATO before you put a de-registered ABN on an invoice. Their wait times are pretty short now

alliedib
    • Total posts: 453

From what I am aware, you don’t actually require an ABN to trade (however they will withhold the highest tax rate from you).

Can you just tell them that there is an issue with your ABN and that you will invoice them once sorted? From my experience I have rarely come across a client who doesn’t like a supplier-granted extension :)

Markbas
    • Total posts: 4

Thanks for the replies.

I see. I thought you always need to include your ABN on your invoices, or else you can’t include the invoice on your next tax return? Also incase your client being audit by the ATO.

Well of course they don’t mind, but I quite need the money for personal matters :)

Thanks

tadere
    • Total posts: 34

i was under the impression that you only needed an ABN on receipts?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.