Home – New Forums Starting your journey Sample from China, do they normally not arrive or respond?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Vivienne
    • Total posts: 34
    Up
    ::

Hello,

I have been communicating with a manufacturer from China to make me a sample. I had 2 samples made up. Same but 2 different colours. The material used was incorrect and the lining was the wrong colour.

The lady that I’m dealing with stated that she will have them made again and apologised. She also stated that she “will pay better attention next time”. Mmmm

I have now emailed her twice and I’ve had no response.

Is this common? Has anyone had a similar experience? I found them on Alibaba.

I’m not filled with confidence!

Thanks

Vivienne
    Up

I just wanted to add that the original 2 samples were never sent to me. I only had photos emailed.

Victor log
    Participant
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

Hello,

I think it’s a common issue among manufacturers in China. I heard a lot from my clients with regards to sample problems. Seems they are reluctant to give samples free to potential clients. Some of them would rather to focus on the orders they have now.

Victor

Vivienne, post: 196024 wrote:
    Hello,

I have been communicating with a manufacturer from China to make me a sample. I had 2 samples made up. Same but 2 different colours. The material used was incorrect and the lining was the wrong colour.

The lady that I’m dealing with stated that she will have them made again and apologised. She also stated that she “will pay better attention next time”. Mmmm

I have now emailed her twice and I’ve had no response.

Is this common? Has anyone had a similar experience? I found them on Alibaba.

I’m not filled with confidence!

Thanks

Vivienne
    Up

I actually paid for these samples and they are being made to my specifications.

LuchiaBloomfield
    • Total posts: 117
    Up

It’s pretty normal for them to not respond to be honest. I had a lot of bad luck with a supplier and eventually they encouraged me to report them to the authorities and then stopped replying.

Sounds like you got unlucky, but I hope not!

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    LuchiaBloomfield, post: 196054 wrote:
    I had a lot of bad luck with a supplier and eventually they encouraged me to report them to the authorities and then stopped replying.

Hi Luchia

What a statement, honest, brutal and unfortunately can be the truth on more occasions than we like to admit… :)

Vivienne, i have followed and commented on a few of your posts.. It is VERY important that you try and think a little from the supplier side.. Its hard, because us Aussies tend to be a little more service orientated and driven by the potential sale (as volume is not a important to us on occasions)..

Allow me to elaborate a little..

Re Samples: This is a tricky business on it own, especially if you have not physically met with the suppliers. You may not be aware of the background and how many hands the sample request is passing through.. example.. you may be ordering through a trade partner, who orders through a contact who orders through the manufacturer.. and after using google translator 3 or 4 times (literally playing chinese whispers) there can be problems.. Such a colouring and the likes..

On top of this, your sample order combined with being from Australia and potentially low orders (even if these are a lot for you may not be for them) they tend to allocate priority to the people they earn good money from.. Just a way in which business has been done with China.

We spend numerous hours liaising with suppliers, sending through requirements and also physically meeting our suppliers and contacts to ensure we know what we are getting and more importantly WHO WE ARE DEALING WITH. This money invested from the outset sets our seriousness with EACH AND EVERY supplier we deal with..

So, whilst you may be experiencing a few lil problems with the samples, treat it as a learning curve until you get it right.. It can take time to find someone you may be comfortable with, its a bit like finding the right life long marital partner.. Unfortunately you have to sample a few before you find the right one, unless you are extremely lucky and meet your sweetheart on the first occasion (RARE)…

Let us know how you go.. and so forth, any queries please ask..

Not sure if i mentioned it before, although you may find it beneficial to speak with a local CHINESE or HONG KONG based agent who can oversee this and ensure there are no language barriers occurring with your sample requests.

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    Vivienne, post: 196053 wrote:
    I actually paid for these samples and they are being made to my specifications.

Hi Vivienne,

Sounds harsh, but things do go wrong.. and i am sure that your sample order was not a large dollar value to these manufacturers and as such it may (say this feeling terrible) not be a top priority to them.

In the past, i have advised anyone just wanting samples of the product (not samples of what the manufacturer can produce in terms of quality) to just get it made locally – pay the higher price and ensure it is the look you want etc etc..

Just food for thought..

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

You have to remember that quite often getting samples from a supplier is almost always your first real look at them.

For all the details provided on Alibaba and all the research you can do with a company, you really don’t know anything until they have done something for you, which is usually getting a sample.

Not that the samples should be relied upon as a measure of the final product you will get, but it is a start.

I have always found there are two main reasons for problems associated with samples.

1. The person wanting the samples hasn’t put in the time to explain clearly what they want. And that includes all the relevant information. (I am currently doing a deal where I was asked to have an apple made, and when the customer actually sent a sample of what they wanted, it turned out to be an orange. There were at least 8 things different from the explanation to the actual product they wanted to have made.)

2. The factory isn’t the most appropriate one to make the product you want. This is especially so if you are looking for the cheaper options. Cheap not only means cheap quality product, it more often than not also means cheap service from people who won’t go out of their way to do something above and beyond.

I will also say that, it is not uncommon for a factory to produce a sample in different material and colours that were requested if that material or colour is not readily available in the market. So, if for example, you wanted a material in a specific pantone colour, and it was not easily available, they may make it in another colour, otherwise they would have to have the specific material made which would not be practical for one sample.

It can be a bit hit and miss to find the most appropriate supplier at the start, but the cost of a sample at least is better than the cost of mass production if it ends up being wrong.

And a word of advice. A picture can hide a thousand things. I would suggest to always get the real sample in your hand and not rely on a picture. In this case, if the factory isn’t willing to send the actual sample, that would be cause for concern.

Vivienne
    Up

Thanks everyone,

I emailed the factory as I found the name of the (?)manager. He emailed me straight away and told me that the lady I had been dealing with had requested leave on the Mon/Tues and that she will get back to me today.

Well….she did! First thing this morning I received an email with 7 photos of the samples and she will be sending them to me.
    Maybe my expectations are different as I have never done this before. Sometimes she emails me to apologise that she replied late as she had a nap after lunch!

Anyway so far so good!

Victor log
    Participant
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

Hi Viviennie,

Good to hear you have some progress on your samples. Your supplier sounds ok so far. They took your order serious. Hope everything will work out.

Regards

Victor

Vivienne, post: 196098 wrote:
    Thanks everyone,

I emailed the factory as I found the name of the (?)manager. He emailed me straight away and told me that the lady I had been dealing with had requested leave on the Mon/Tues and that she will get back to me today.

Well….she did! First thing this morning I received an email with 7 photos of the samples and she will be sending them to me.
    Maybe my expectations are different as I have never done this before. Sometimes she emails me to apologise that she replied late as she had a nap after lunch!

Anyway so far so good!

Petemac
    • Total posts: 171
    Up

Vivienne, well done in following through with this as it looks like your pesistance has paid off. The one thing I have learnt is that many companies can do good samples but come larger orders it is definitely quality control that can become an issue. Do you mind me asking what is the product?

Cheers

Vivienne, post: 196098 wrote:
    Thanks everyone,

Anyway so far so good!

Vivienne
    Up

I received the samples yesterday. Quickest delivery ever!

Quality is great but I realise it’s not necessarily a guarantee that a large batch will be as good.
    Now that I see the samples in my hand I’m unsure of what needs tweaking. Not sure how many samples I’ll need to get through before I’m satisfied with the design.

Petemac, it’s a bag type of thing.

AlanaC
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

Hi Vivienne,

I tried 2 different suppliers from China that I found off Alibaba and it took months to get a sample that was accurate but I was still not happy with the quality. The main problem I had was the language barrier. No matter how many pictures or how many times I tried to explain what I wanted they just resorted to something they knew how to do from previous customers – or something they could do cheaply and easily.

A lot of the big factories just want big orders and your money and don’t really care about your brand or business. I finally found a lady in brazil that understood exactly where I wanted my brand to go and she worked with me effortlessly over Skype and email to get the job done.

I hope you find a supplier – if its a unique looking bag try somewhere like Etsy. These are all hand made items but a generally quite cheap and a lot of the suppliers are willing to do wholesale. :)

Alana.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.