Home – New Forums Other discussions Satisfying Job?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    vex5
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hello, I’m currently seeking some advice as to what I want to do with myself for a living… I’m 22 years old and I’m a surveyors assistant with 5 years experience. I’m at the point where I’m thinking on doing a course but I’m unsure if that’s what I want to do for the rest of my working life because I often have thoughts of doing other jobs, but then my mind will change months latter then ill want to do something else! My job preferences are always related to something that I feel passionate about at that time but then I lose interest and I’ll find the next thing I feel interested in and it goes on and on… I really wish I could focus on one particular passion and make a career out of it! I don’t know if it’s wise to just accept the fact that I’ll never find out what I want to do and just stick at surveying as I have 5 years’ worth of knowledge and experience with this trade..

what do you guys think!?!?!

cheers!

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi there,

Firstly welcome to the forums! And a very good question to kick off with. I’m 34 and still feel the same way (and a few years ago I left my old career in mining to find a new one).

I think most people don’t “just know” what they want to do for the rest of their career, and that most times it has to be found (or stumbled upon really). But it’s hard to stumble across the thing you love if you’re just doing one thing (in your case surveying). That might mean exploring new avenues as hobbies first (or short courses, or casual work), until you find something that grabs you enough to make a bigger leap.

Good luck!

Dave

nighttax
    • Total posts: 172
    Up

Hello Vex5

Welcome to most peoples world. When I was young I had no idea. Then as I grew I still had no definite passion. I wanted to be successful and good at what ever the person who was impressing me at the time was good at. The result, I have run multi-million dollar businesses and also been happy to work as a labourer, and everything in between.
    I think my experience has taught me that when others impress us then unspoken and often unintentional peer pressure can make us unsure of our course in life.
    Think about what is happening to you and decide if it really is only your own thoughts and desires that are making you want the change or if others are also affecting your thoughts. Also know that what ever you do after a while it will become boring and lose its challenge. So is change in work what you need or can you fill the need for challenge in your out of work life. Until I discovered that I really enjoy accounting, I shifted with what ever whim took me at the time, I made very good money but I always missed the contentment others had in their life and their one career.

Hope I haven’t confused you more. Just make sure you can afford any change including thinking about things like if you are in a relationship that will mean you want a house shortly then stable work may have its advantages in these areas as well. Ultimately it is up to you. Contentment is a state of mind that can be achieved no matter what you do and yet so many people think you can’t.

regards
    Evan

Hobidi Bob
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

Hey Vex5,

I actualy had the same problem as you. I completed my HSC not wanting to go to Uni. Between the age of 15 and 19 I had 27 different jobs. I would quit everything I didnt like. Not suggesting you do that.

I currently am working as a prison officer and own a business. I dont want to be a prison officer anymore and now am only doing it part time to help pay the bills while the business gets established.

Its damn hard to know what to do if you dont know what you want to do. As suggested in a previous post, maybe some hobbies or short courses. Sit down one night without any distractions and ask yourself “where do i want to be in 5, 10 even 20 years?” Write your answers down. Do you see yourself working for somebody else or yourself? Once you know where you want to be, you can then work backwards to figure out what you have to do.

Also think of what you do in your spare time. Do you read books? Maybe getting paid to write blogs and reviews on books or even movies. The same goes for travel and video games. maybe your good with your hands and can renovate houses using a variety of stratergies.

I hope some of this novel helps you.

Good luck

ozcos
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

Hi Vex5

I always say, “Opportunities don’t come knocking on your door, they are always standing there. We just need to open the door and walk through”.

First, I find it interesting that you have posted in this particular forum.

“My job preferences are always related to something that I feel passionate about at the time”

Does a change in your passion result in job change or is there something else going on?

I believe it is normal to have genuine interests in various areas come and go over time.

I’ve always been passionate about obtaining a private pilot’s licence, but still yet to achieve it sometimes I can go years without thinking about it, sometimes I can’t get it out of my head for months.

However, I believe real passion doesn’t come and go, passion can be something that burns from within for a very long time or simply no matter what your thoughts are or what you do the passion is just always there.

for me I have known my passsion for a very long time I just didn’t know how to put it into action.

At your age I had job hopped so many times and continued for many years later, I pretty much become the black sheep in the family – “the one we don’t talk about”

Today I believe I have the advantage over many others – job hopping has allowed me to really take notice of so many industries, have been employed in many areas, with so many different roles and responsibilities from trade apprentice, duel trade electrician, IT technician, trainee, customer service, and spent 5ish years playing drums professionally and operated a couple of small studios, travelled around, been paid to go diving, take photos, attend industry conferences and speak at some of these, restaurant waiter, wash dishes, poured beer & attempted to make milk shakes, event management (music industry), worked TV in multimedia production , pizza delivery driver, wash windows, washed cars and mowed lawns, travel agency and hospitality, commercial fire system inspections, smoke alarm testing for real estates, retail, and plenty of others, including what little time I had left to myself I volunteered in community projects, joined many non-profit organisations as active member, founded a non-profit organisation, project manage IT related upgrades to local services. Worked the domestic, commercial and industrial sectors.
    Just to mention a few – you will be surprise how many of these I did after the age 30 or more so which ones

Sometimes in the one job for up to 7 years, sometimes only a few months, sometimes up to 3 jobs at the same time.

One thing to always keep in your mind no matter what you do today you are doing it for a reason, it has purpose, and more often than not it will be many years later before you understand the purpose of what you are doing today.

It has only been recently, what the purpose is of what I have been doing for the last 20+ years .

No matter who calls me tomorrow, no matter what service they require from myself or my business there is a 99% chance that I can relate to their industry, sector or business processes at some level.

To sit down with a client for a consult and relate to what they are saying, asking or requesting at a personal experience level is a far from relating on the bases of consulting for the purpose of selling and delivering a solution.

It does not surprise me that today my customers include businesses generally operating in the industries that I have worked in and more so my services are generally solutions to problems I experienced while working in these many jobs.

“but then I lose interest and I’ll find the next thing I feel interested in and it goes on and on…”

In my case I eventually called it dancing around the target, I’m highly experienced at this dance often with the same feelings you are experiencing, and this is not a bad thing with each step you take you are getting closer to the centre or target.

Chances are, you already know your real passion, and it just maybe you don’t know how to get the ball rolling.

If you are still not sure, my suggestion is just jot down on a piece of paper, every single passion you have had in the past right up to today but not the job related to the passion.

Once you have your list on a single piece of paper – take as much time as you require and see if you can find and understand the thing that links these together this might provide some direction.

I also believe to deliver yourself at your full potential meaning you are passionately fulfilled, you also need the vehicle that drives your path.

No matter how passionate you are about something and even if you are working the related field if the vehicle is not right for you, you still may not be fulfilled or feel something is just a miss.

The vehicle is nothing more than the environment you are in, like the job position, the company you are working for, current level of experience, qualifications, or your social circle, maybe your location, it may be many factors.

Everybody has the same opportunity to design, create and build their own vehicle.

And if you can’t find your vehicle what’s stopping you from building it?

Maybe try jotting down everything you liked, all the good things about each and every job you have experienced.
    You never know you might have started designing the framework for your vehicle.

For me my vehicle is my business, I still have a long way to go before the final design is completed but it provides the fulfilment that has been missing for the last 20+ years that no job could offer no matter what position, responsibility or income it provided.

Most importantly my vehicle is driven by my passion down the road I created.

and when you spend as many years dancing around the target as I have, when you hit the bullseye I guarantee, you will know it. You will hit it so hard with so much passion nothing will stop you.

No Limits
    • Total posts: 44
    Up

At 22 you’ve still got a lot to experience to gain.
    You’ll find what makes you happy and satisfied sooner or later.
    Doing surveying for 5 years since leaving school would be pretty boring and I can understand why you’re looking at other options.
    You’ve done well to stick to it for so long as your first job.

But, I think the reason you keep changing your mind is that you want to stay in your comfort zone, even though you may not realise this.
    Get out and experience other things and let your mind grow to accept the many opportunities out there.
    Expose yourself in the real world and think that if there was anything you could do, what would it be?
    You’re still so young, you can do anything you want to.
    If you want to make a lot of money and retire at 30 with millions or more, go into business or sales.

Good luck.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi vex5,

You have a strong foothold into surveying. You must have some positive feelings toward it or you would not have lasted 5 years.

IMO get qualified as a surveyor, do that as your mainstream work and do whatever interests you on the side as a hobby.
    If that hobby grows to be something that can form a career then assess the situation when that time comes.

Steve

vex5
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Thank you everyone for your posts it’s been really helpful and encouraging!

Nicola D
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Hi Vex5,

I only just stumbled upon your question as it was in the weekly update from FS.
    Awesome question and what incredible self awareness you have at 22. It took me decades to figure out what you already know about yourself.

I am going to take a different approach to the other respondents. I am going to suggest some reading and research focused on you, how you need to operate to feel fulfilled and successful – career choice or choices can come later. Try Barbara Sher’s “Refuse to Choose”or “I could do anything, if only I knew what it was”. Another great read (if you are the personality I think you might be) is “The Renaissance Soul” by Margaret Lobenstine.

If these resonate with you, for you it will be more a case of how you work vs. what you do. What will be key is variety, short term projects, plenty of new things to learn. It’s not “what will I do with for the rest of my life, but what will I do next?” The word focus will have a very different meaning for you.

I have been: a high school teacher, run my own English language school in France, taught in the Middle East, managed summer schools all over the UK, switched to IT training, then moved into Leadership training and coaching, and psychometric assessments (which is why I now know so much about myself!). Then I retrained as an Interior Designer (long-held passion) and now I coach, design, and run a co-working space. Oh and I’m a barista early in the morning.

Others might judge me, I don’t mind. I get a lot of raised eyebrows. But it’s the ONLY way I’ve found to feel fulfilled.

Hope this helps :-)

Nicola

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.