Home – New Forums Tech talk Saying hello

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Mitchell
    • Total posts: 56
    Up
    ::

Hello FS

Is it just me, or does anybody else find it unprofessional, bordering on rude, to start an email without a greeting? The number of emails I get that start with “Daniel,” amazes me. I always start a message with “Hi Daniel” (except when I’m not talking to myself and I replace it with their name), “Good Morning”, or some other sort of greeting. Anybody who receives an email from me with just their name is in trouble. With long replies I just stop using a greeting at all and cut to the message.

I get this from salesmen, colleagues and clients who otherwise don’t seem to have any issue with me and are great to deal with in person or on the phone. I assume they don’t even think about it, but to me it seems a bit odd and lacking manners. Does anybody else feel the same way, or am I off in my own world overthinking it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

I would normally use a greeting of some sort. This may disappear in a chain of quick interrelated emails though.

If it’s an initial email, a lack of formal greeting is a bit slack imo … but I was bought up in an era when people still used letters, and someone would give you a flick behind the ear if you didn’t stick to formal protocols when writing one.

Cheers

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

I think it is just the way people are, you would probably find that the people who leave off a greeting are the ones who are perhaps lacking a little politeness in the real world too.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi Daniel (note the ‘Hi”.. LOL)

Agree, just ran through my emails as it intrigued me and i think Kelly has (once again) hit the nail on the head.. its all about politeness and courtesy, and for me it is also respect i hold for the person i am sending the email to.. be it someone i know or could know…

Personally, when i was in the corporate world, i sure as hell didnt bump into my bosses in the lift and start a conversation with “PETER, i have an idea”… I would always say “Hi Peter, how you been?” or something… This doesnt always transfer to emails in the real world, unfortunately…

Another observation, which is a pet hate of mine and i hate the word hate LOL, is that it also tends to come from those that have little understanding of other people.. What i mean is, they are so absorbed in their own personal space and deadlines and if they are feeling pressure or rushed or whatever, this is transferred onto others in the form of being short or blunt such as no greeting on emails? ever noticed the young inexperienced guys/gals in the office running around like a headless chook and every time they speak to you they run off at a million miles a second? at YOU? even though you are under control.. its a little funny, but these are the times that they overlook pleasantries…

Oh boy, corporate world.. oh how i miss it (oops need an emoticon saying NOT!)… i recall many a time sitting with some staff, when looking frazzled and having to plan their day.. asking, SO, what is in your control? what are your deadlines? what is your priority? then working with them to allocate time, coordinate what could be delayed without causing grief and after a quick 5 minute coffee have a mate walk away calm and productive… it was funny!

Oops i ran off, yet again..

Great point Daniel, nice seeing ethics and courtesy in the forums and those that appreciate and reciprocate it..

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hey dan,

lol the world is evolving.. soz

S

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.