Home Forums Get productive Saying ‘no’ makes you more productive

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lucy Kippist
    • Total posts: 230

Do you find it easy to say ‘no’ to people in your life and your business?

Penny Locaso, the Happiness Hacker has written a terrific post for us today about exactly how to start using your ‘no’ more and also – why you should. According to Penny, every little thing we say ‘yes’ to when we really want to say ‘no’ puts us back several steps on our path to success.

Do you agree with this?

Do you find it easy to say ‘no’ and if you do, what are some the ways you choose to say it?

eagleeye
    • Total posts: 31

Yes – have to agree with that when you know you cannot do it yourself.

Also what works for me is saying Yes but then delegating the request. But you need to be aware that you can delegate it and ensure it gets done with no input from you if that makes sense.

Josari
    • Total posts: 9

Great question [USER=98720]@Lucy Kippist[/USER]

“No” should absolutely be part of the vocabulary of any micro / small business owner.

“No” to the wrong solutions for your business that add costs, but not value.

“No” to bad customers that are slow to pay and fast to complain.

“No” to yourself for chasing every new shiny business opportunity that are not the core of what your business stands for (guilty of this one myself!)

There’s also quite a few ways to say “no”, including

– Not right now
    – Thank you, but this is not for me
    – No thanks, I’m not your target customer
    – I’ll pass, but I might know someone who is interested…

Oh there are so many others!

Lucy Kippist
    • Total posts: 230

Great suggestions Josari! That could be a post on its own.

Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,121

Ha, ha. I took over a position in the Executive of a company I worked with and my predecessor listed 22 “Priorities”.

I did almost exactly what Jack Welch suggested and threw away 19 of them and worked on the top 3.

It was my first meeting with my new boss (Gulp) but we carved a successful relationship.

A footnote: I was a big fan of Jack Welch but don’t remember ever reading that one!

To the article, there are a couple of things I would add.

1. Have a very well developed idea of and be able to identify who is and who is not your ideal customer.

2. An alternative to saying no in circumstances where you feel you will get paid, is to increase your rate – sometimes both parties can get what they want if you rate is increased, even up to triple its normal value.

For example, if my spidey sense indicates that a prospect will be over the top with expectations, calls, complaints etc, I calculate a guestimated number extra admin hours using past experience. Then I add that to the quote.

Sometimes the prospect will go ahead and I will end up with a customer I can live with and added revenue.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472
    Paul – FS Concierge, post: 269942, member: 78928 wrote:
    For example, if my spidey sense indicates that a prospect will be over the top with expectations, calls, complaints etc, I calculate a guestimated number extra admin hours using past experience. Then I add that to the quote.

Sometimes the prospect will go ahead and I will end up with a customer I can live with and added revenue.

I use this approach often to say no, and when you do still win the job, I have found most don’t end up being as painful as you first thought and you are way ahead.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.