Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Scientist turned small business owner

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    stapleton
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

I have been a research scientist for the last 25 years at the University of Melbourne working on a variety of scientific fields including diabetes, Alzheimers, and plant biotechnology, resulting in multiple peer-reviewed papers, patents, and successful biotech startups. With research funding levels in Australia dropping to record lows in the last few years I have been unable to keep my job as a research scientist.

So this year I made the big jump to running a small business. My plan has been to find product gaps in the Australian health market and have come across transdermal vitamin and supplement patches, in other words, vitamins you take by wearing them! Given the future wearable boom, I think I have stumbled across products with great potential. To date, the best seller has been vitamin B12 that is awesome both for energy and cognitive improvement. I have relationships with 4 patch manufacturers around the world currently and are planning some custom patches in the months to come.

I am a Director and shareholder of an Australian company with 3 other business partners but in the last 3 months I have been doing 98% of the work but only receiving 30% of any profits. It’s now time to spread my wings and go it alone, hence joining Flying Solo today as a member. I have many questions that I will start asking some of you in the days and weeks to come, so thanks in advance!

Cheers, David

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi and Welcome to the Forums David!

Congratulations on making the leap and commiserations on the loss of research funding that has affected you.

It sounds like an exciting field you are in – do your wearables take the form of a patch, similar to a smoking patch or do they come in other form factors?

Feel free to ask about anything you may have on your mind that you need an answer to.

Cheers

stapleton
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

Hi Paul,

Yes, they do come as a patch and I have to say work amazingly well, especially the vitamin B12 patches.

I have just posted a question about logos and branding but not sure if it made to the right spot!

Thanks, David

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.